Coronavirus and traveling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oldgator73 said:
I?m tired of messing around. I?m increasing my intake of scotch and red wine. If this doesn?t stave off COVID-19 maybe I?ll be in enough of a stupor not to care.  8)

I like this plan !  ;D

Considering that 82% of the documented cases have recovered with no medical intervention, I raise my glass to Oldgator?.
Cheers!
https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/most-coronavirus-cases-are-mild-complicating-efforts-to-respond/2020/02/12/213603a4-4dc2-11ea-bf44-f5043eb3918a_story.html

Arch Hoagland said:
"Paranoia strikes deep
Into your life it will creep
It starts when you're always afraid
Step  out of line, the men come and take you away."

From a Buffalo Springfield song that I always think of when people get carried away on something.
I used to cruise Sunset Blvd in my 67 Cougar XR7 and I was on the strip the night this song is referring to. However I lived 50 miles north of the strip so I headed home around 10pm just before the rioting began. Glad I missed it but I wish I could have seen it.

Before we know it we will have to RV around this land of ours holding our breath to protect ourselves.

I got this Corona Virus thing all figured out. 

Guy told me that he developed the theory while actually drinking Corona Beer.

I am looking at the above as a Hot tip. 

I am here just to help my fellow animals anyway.

Money in the bank.  $0.00 ;)

This Public Support Message brought to you by

John.

PS we are shifting a trip for Momma to the Right >>> Singapore is going to have to wait a bit.

............I am guessing Lord Gator must be worth $2 Million dead then?

There are many Corona viruses. In the case mentioned the claim is probably directed at the common cold which is also a Corona virus.

Ernie

Honestly, I'm not riding the hype train at all with this issue. Our planet has seen much worse. However, if you travel it is smart to take cautionary measures like you said, nothing too over the top though as it's not the case yet. But a bit of protection just in case you might have otherwise encountered an infected person doesn't hurt when you're traveling.

Welp the red dots on this map have been there up to two weeks, it has a known incubation but the length is not certain, making it an undetectable asymptomatic virus from which you contaminate others for weeks before you know you have it.
The yellow dots are cases that have appeared in the last 36 hours from incubation maturation of the red dots and they are sure to grow in number in the coming days as the incubation period is ending in people who have been exposed to it. Another week and pretty much any place you go will have it incubating in people who got exposed to all those yellow dots. Current death rate is 3.4% according to WHO and the CDC making it 34 times more deadly than seasonal flu. SO you can wag those cojones all you wish, and good luck to ya, I will be laying low until this situation changes or being very careful while out and about. However a skilled Boondocker with knowledge of how to get the heck away from everybody may well be one of the safest places to be.

Attachments

• 15a.jpg
    15a.jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 40
The thing to remember about all those dots is that they represent people who showed up at a medical facility with symptoms severe enough to draw attention to their condition, and then field-tested positive for the COVID19 Corona Virus.
The Bug is here. You can count on the fact that a lot more people have been exposed, and infected in the US, already. The question that remains is how many people will have dangerous symptoms from the thing.

In Mainland China, the cases seem, for the moment to have leveled off. Less than 100 thousand reported cases, in a population of over a billion. You can bet that there are a lot more people in China who were exposed, and infected, but may have never experienced extreme symptoms.

Here is a site that has been tracking the event since it began.
https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6

another useful site.
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

I've been tracking it since the beginning with the John Hopkins census because that is what both the CDC and Washington D.C. have been using to monitor it.
My map for 35 days ago shows 7 dots on it. Now it's 340 and a new wave just started and will probably be over 400 by this evening. Thats the second wave appearing. Also I know Mississippi hasn't even tested anyone yet, they couldn't get the tests right and wasted 14 of only 225 tests that the CDC issued them. It's the incubation factor that allows it to do this and being an asymptomatic spreader. When you see it, it's too late. But again, this is really most important to older people where the kill numbers are really high. By contrast infant mortality is almost nothing which is really great. It's a dinosaur killer and I sure hope younger people give the old grumpy lizards some space when they encounter them.
Here is a good piece for young parents to read.

Coronoviruses are a family of viruses that typically cause mild colds. We see them year round, although like all cold/cough viruses, more in the winter.
COVID-19 is a novel strain of Coronavirus. That means it's something our immune systems have never seen before.
However, because children are exposed to so many other viruses in the same family on a regular basis, they do seem to have some cross-immunity to this strain. Similar to how even in seasons when the flu shot isn't a terrific match, vaccinated individuals who catch the flu can fight it off very quickly. A healthy immune system recognizes the virus quickly and mounts an immune response quickly.
This is likely the reason why there have been no pediatric deaths reported in any country.
Like other coronaviruses, COVID-19 will cause cold/cough symptoms, likely with a mild fever. Like other viruses, there is no treatment besides symptomatic care -- Tylenol and Motrin, honey for coughs in kids older than 1 year, cool-mist humidifiers and suctioning for babies. Stay hydrated and comfortable. Like other viruses, there is a greater concern for the elderly and those with compromised immune systems.
The spread of COVID-19 in other countries has been exacerbated by people flooding the ER's and medical offices. Don't do that. If you or your child has mild cold symptoms, stay home! We do not even need to see you in our office. Follow school guidelines for returning -- no fever for 24 hours, no disruptive coughing, child feels well enough to participate.
**We do NOT have a test for COVID-19 in our office. So unless symptoms are severe, we urge you to not call for an appointment either.**
Your child SHOULD be seen for:
-- any fever (>100.4F) in a baby under 60 days
-- respiratory distress, including a barking cough, increased work of breathing, or cough that interferes with sleep or play
-- dehydration
-- sore throat in the absence of cold symptoms
-- ear pain for more than 2 days in kids older than 2y, or in conjunction with fever in kids younger than 2y
- - fever above 100.4 for more than 5 days
The chances are that COVID-19 is already widespread. We did not start testing in this country until last week, and have only tested 500 folks so far. The media is causing more fear than is necessary. Flu is still the major cause of illness in the pediatric population.
Stay calm.
Wash your hands.
Cover your cough.
Wash your hands.
Get a flu shot.
Wash your hands.
Call us for any concerns.

LarsMac said:
The thing to remember about all those dots is that they represent people who showed up at a medical facility with symptoms severe enough to draw attention to their condition, and then field-tested positive for the COVID19 Corona Virus.
The Bug is here. You can count on the fact that a lot more people have been exposed, and infected in the US, already. The question that remains is how many people will have dangerous symptoms from the thing.

This is very true and so many people do not have the income nor the time to take off work to pay for a hospital visit, so why get tested? Forget the ports, this is the real hole in the barrel, low income families are going to suffer from both directions.

I was at the store yesterday and when I went checkout the lines were really long. I stood in line for what seemed like hours and there seemed to be no movement. I was getting a bit irritated so I started coughing and threw in a few sneezes. Folks started to move away from me. I mentioned to the person behind me that I was feeling a bit achey and feverish. I said to no one in particular that I just had a case of Corona and what was taking so long. Folks started getting out of line pushing their carts to the side and heading for the exit. Within seconds I was at the register and paying for my case of Corona. Don?t know why all those folks left. Rude of them to leave their full carts for someone to have to put away.  8)

I was stocking up for the battle in Wally World at 3:30 AM this morning because if you don't want some kid hacking on your cart then that is the time to do it. 10 people stocking shelves it was like a ghost town. But I quickly got the ghosts attention when I walked in wearing a 3M dual P100 respirator and Forest Fire Fighter eye gear and proceeded to mist myself down with 99% isopropyl at the avocados. By the time I got to the onions a young bashful manager type person greeted me and asked if everything was alright?
I looked at him and said "Why hell no everything isn't alright son there's a damn plague afoot and it's huntin folks like ME!"
He developed a sort of half a** smirk look on his face without saying anything, I blurted out "I consider coughing or sneezing within 10 feet of me to be assault with a deadly weapon. And since I'm obviously packing you need to go git yer little butt on that thar loud speaker and tell them folks over thar all whisperin that they better keep their distance while Imma shoppin!"
The smirk left his face and a serious brow developed and he said; "OK but do me a favor and don't shoot the guy stocking Spaghetti Sauce jars because he is two noodles shy of a plate and way behind."
I agreed and said "DONE" suddenly I had the whole store to myself, I would enter the aisle and they would scurry away. Any hesitations were quickly banished by the Darth Vader sounds of air whooshing through my armor.
But the manager got the last laugh on me for sure, as when I finished and had three carts full of crap to check out, nobody wanted to do it, and I was pointed from 100 feet away at the self check out. Broke a sweat on that one dangit.

Attachments

• 660.jpg
    660.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 26
When ever there's a world wide pandemic I ask myself "What would Dr Shaun Murphy do"?
https://tinyurl.com/tmz76wc

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KWKnut
Back
Top Bottom