2000 Four Winds Lite Travel Trailer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gary#123

Hello! New to this, so here goes...We recently purchased a 2000 Four Winds Lite Travel Trailer that has some minor damage to the front corner driver's side. Apparently, rain also soaked in from the roof along the corner seam, and partially rotted some of the wood structure under the aluminum outer panels. Looking for help finding replacement panels for the driver-side (lower panels} and any help or suggestions on how to inspect and replace the wooden structure the easiest way. We have heard there are trailer salvage yards that may match the panels and are looking for help finding these, especially in the Richmond, VA area. Also, help on knowing how to match these panels. Interior is in great shape and we recently had a new TPO roof installed, so hope that's the end of water leaking in. Unable to attach photo, due to size restriction. Thank you.

Welcome to the Forum!

There is a list of RV salvage yards under the Resources tab.  It will take you here  http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php?action=Parts

I was going to say fix the roof and stop the leak, but that has been done.  Smart move.

It is often easiest to access the damage from the inside.

Remember, this is a 20 YO camper, so a sound, leak free camper with mismatched panels - inside or out - will not really hurt the value much.  Matching is better, but...  This is for YOUR enjoyment.

And it could turn into a huge money pit unless you're really up for a DIY project. At that age, you'll never recoup your money unless you purchased it for nearly nothing.

If your travel trailer has what I regard as corregated panels on the exterior, then these are easily removed starting at the bottom panel. You'll have to remove the bottom trim piece, which is held in place with screws to expose the edge of the side panel. The panel edge is stapled to the framing but the top edge of the panel hangs on the panel above in a grove. Once you've exposed the panel by removing the trim piece, you'll see how the panels are attached. With care you can detach the staples and pull them out with pliers and not damage the side panel.
Once you remove the side panels, you'll be able to easily see the extent of the damage.
The framing is usually 2x4 and 2x2 lumber. Cut out the rotted framing and replace it. Re-insulate and reattach the exterior panels and reseal the panel edges.
Here's an example YouTube regarding siding.

https://youtu.be/7IDTMY7AoDM

Here is a company that sells replacement siding (just one of many). https://www.hemetvalleyrv.net/siding-patterns/1-mesa-3-run/

I rebuilt a 1998 Coleman  TT front wall and partial side wall for my sister and I don't think I spent $100. All panels were OK, just framing wood and insulation cost.
Good luck

Thank you. Looked at the video and contacted the panel supplier for info. Excellent help and much appreciated. Looks like this is do-able and, once the panels are off the wood and insulation is right there! Great if there's a BIG garage! Thanks, again. Considering several options and really appreciate the info.  Gary

Back
Top Bottom