Questions about 5th wheel heavy duty rear carrier platforms for motorcycles and ATV's

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

oldryder

I have a desire to take a motorcycle or UTV along on snowbird road trips. I see there are carriers that have support wheels allowing loads as much as 1200 lbs that connect to the camper via a rear hitch receiver.

Seems like you'd be limited to longer drive thru campsites?

With the platform several feet behind the camper axles you'd have to watch out for the arc of the platform when turning.

Does the presence of the load behind the camper degrade stability?

Does the support wheels for the platform count as another "axle" for tolls?

Is a set up like this 50 state legal?

Some other question I should be asking?

Thx to anyone taking the time to offer comments on a set up like that.

l did consider using one at one time but because they are not legal in the state where we lived at that time, I didn't buy one. I have observed them for a lot of years of RVing and have known only 2 people who did own them and one was happy while the other was very unhappy. The two trailers were different brands so that may have played a part. The following answers are base on years of RVing and observations.
Seems like you'd be limited to longer drive thru campsites?
For the most part that is true, but most of them can be backed if your driving skills are up to it and if the access area has enough room.
With the platform several feet behind the camper axles you'd have to watch out for the arc of the platform when turning.
True and that also plays a major part in the challenge of backing one of them. Most of there are pretty much rigid to lateral movement and typically have swivel wheels so it can be done.
Does the presence of the load behind the camper degrade stability?
This is only a guess on my part, but I can say that the longer a towed load is the more it will impact the tow vehicle. Many guidelines state that for a tow vehicle with a 110" wheelbase you can easily tow a trailer of 20' in length and that for each additional 4" of wheelbase you can add 1' in trailer length. With a fifth wheel that ration is somewhat different but the additional length factor is applicable.
Is a set up like this 50 state legal?
There are 22 states that do not allow double trailer towing. Some of the states that do allow it also require a license endorsement to do so but generally, if your license is legal in your state of issue it will be accepted but that wont change a state's prohibition of it. As to whether or not the state will consider a rigid trailer to be a second trailer is up to the state involve and/or the LEO involved. I have looked at the legal requirements in several different states and found none that address the use of a rigid, swivel wheel trailer.

I have a desire to take a motorcycle
I take a small 317 lb Zero electric motorcycle. Very simple, not towed, gets up the ramp for the hitch on its own power. My setup has been all over the USA coast to coast. Avatar photo taken in Florida.

The ramp I use is one of these thingies. No straps required.

The Zero DS with the smaller battery is what I use with my RV, shown in my avatar here.

-Don- (now getting a free charge at the Truckee Airport, CA for my 2023 Zero DSR/x)

I take a small 317 lb Zero electric motorcycle. Very simple, not towed, gets up the ramp for the hitch on its own power. My setup has been all over the USA coast to coast. Avatar photo taken in Florida.

The ramp I use is one of these thingies. No straps required.

The Zero DS with the smaller battery is what I use with my RV, shown in my avatar here.

-Don- (now getting a free charge at the Truckee Airport, CA for my 2023 Zero DSR/x)
That looks like a sturdy hitch carrier for bike. Just finished installing the new suspension kit from 4Wheelonline on the truck. Will do this mod next

Better to buy a small enclosed trailer to pull behind the 5th wheel. Will protect your bike plus additional storage space. Am considering one myself. You want to insure your rear hitch can handle the small trailer. There is a place in Rogers that does this. My current hitch is rated for 300 lbs. new one from Roger’s was around 800 I think. If you want the number, PM me for the number. Will dig it up.

Better to buy a small enclosed trailer to pull behind the 5th wheel. Will protect your bike plus additional storage space. Am considering one myself. You want to insure your rear hitch can handle the small trailer. There is a place in Rogers that does this. My current hitch is rated for 300 lbs. new one from Roger’s was around 800 I think. If you want the number, PM me for the number. Will dig it up.
Some states, this is illegal, Indiana for instance says the 2nd trailer must be a boat trailer. This is towing doubles.

All states honor what other states laws are when it comes to private vehicles. Indiana can not give a ticket to a Minnesota plated vehicle if it’s legal in Minnesota to pull doubles behind a 5th wheel.

All states honor what other states laws are when it comes to private vehicles. Indiana can not give a ticket to a Minnesota plated vehicle if it’s legal in Minnesota to pull doubles behind a 5th wheel.
That's not even the case. If a State doesn't permit triple towing it applies to all vehicles on that State's roadways.

That's not even the case. If a State doesn't permit triple towing it applies to all vehicles on that State's roadways.
X2 I had a good friend that was stopped in Oregon and had to disconnect the second trailer and come back for it after he had gone to next town and dropped his 5th wheel.

ONLY your Drivers License is valid for what your State says you can drive. Your rig is subject to the laws of the State your in. Not all states allow the 2 trailer tow and some states (Texas for example) that do allow require 1st trailer MUST be a fifth wheel hitch and not a ball type hitch.
I tried the dbl tow thing and never felt comfortable, bought a toy hauler and solved the problem.

There is a clear distinction between acknowledging your home state's licensing for you and your vehicle vs the highway operating rules in the state you are currently in. You MUST follow the vehicle operating laws (rules of the road) in the state you are in, e.g. towing regulations, speed limits, weight restrictions, etc.

I emailed Indiana state police. Waiting on there response. I initially emailed Indiana DMV. They referred me to state police. Should find out soon if I eat crow or not. Will post there response.

IMG_0263.jpeg
The company that makes these says that most states view the swivel wheel as an extension (part of) the coach and therefore is not a double tow. But at least one state views it as a distinct trailer and advises not to drive in that state with your car behind their product.
I would be very surprised if @Bearcatrp finds that the licensing state’s laws overrides the state’s law where it’s located.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DICKSOP
Back
Top Bottom