Generator fan alignment key

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

curry

Does anyone know a place to get a fan alignment key for an older Onan Microlite 4000 generator.  The Cummins folks gave me a part number and I ordered what they told me was the part number.  Two weeks later I received One which was much too large.  So much for asking Cummins. Has anyone had to replace this key?  I have quite bad arthritis and dropped mine.  I've never been able to find it.  I need one to finish putting my generator together after replacing the magneto.
Any help would be appreciated.  I have searched the site for days and haven't found any information on this part.   

Is this a woodruff key,, if so can be had at most ACE hardware stores, they carry all sizes as well as other type "keys", roll pins,,shear pins,, measure what you need and try it out.>>>Dan

I buy stuff from them all the time. Even low numbers of things. They are great and sometimes the part shows up next day!

This spring I bought a set of master keyed locks and the master keys.
I buy all my lifting stuff like shackles and chain.

Curry,

did you try searching for the lost key with a magnet? A nail magnet, or a Harbor Freight tool holding magnet might work.

I have several Harbor Freight sliding magnets.  No luck finding the old one.

Can you post a drawing of the key or a photo of the too large one.

That way I know what you are talking about. There are several different kinds of "Keys" I can think of and some of them have already been mentioned

FOr the benefit of other posters. Not all "Keys" fit Locks.    and Since I do not know what a fan alignment key is.. I'm asking .

As best as I can tell the key is 3.5mm width by 4.5 mm height by 10 mm depth.  The one that our local, 40 miles away, Cummins dealer told me to buy, part number ONAN 515-0293 KEY-WOODRUFF could make up ten of the one I need.  I'll try ACE as soon as the holiday is over.  I'm not going to rely on Cummins again.  It appears that most people describe what Cummins refers to as a generator fan as a flywheel.

Here is a picture of the key as well as what is described as the generator fan.  You can see the size of the slot that the key is to fill, or at least half of it.
To give people a better perspective of size here the diameter of the 'generator fan' is about 11 1/4".

Attachments

• IMG_3642.JPG
    IMG_3642.JPG
    127.3 KB · Views: 41
Any hardware store should have an assortment of woodruff keys. Take the fan with you and find a size that fits snuggly in the slot.

Rene T said:

Can anyone order through them? I was a purchasing agent for a company years ago and I purchased a lot of stuff though them but at that time  you had to be a company. Have they changed that requirement ?

I've had an account with them for many years, so no issue for me.  I belong to another type of forum where members need McMaster products all the time for their old equipment, and they buy without issue.  So I believe that they accept orders from anyone, but immediate payment is the only difference.

ChasA said:
Any hardware store should have an assortment of woodruff keys. Take the fan with you and find a size that fits snuggly in the slot.

Yup a woodruff key  and What Chas said. Take the part you can carry to the store for an exact match.  also measure the DEPTH of the cresent in the shaft (IF you get one that is too "Deep" you can machine it down but easier to insure the proper depth at the purchase)

If you find one that fits.. Get a spare just in cuss.

ChasA said:
$9.00 for one woodruff key? No thanks.
DO you think Cummins would have been cheaper/
They have one and one is needed so the alternatives are spend a couple hours looking for it a the hardware and hope they have it or sit back and order the part with shipping included.This is the basis of a capitalistic society

ChasA said:
$9.00 for one woodruff key? No thanks.

That's the same one that I purchased based on information from Cummins.  It is way too big as you could see from the picture I posted.

Update:  After two hours on my hands and knees on the floor I moved a work bench and found the lost key with magnets.  It's all back together and ready to test.  Lessons to be learned, don't give up looking, and don't trust Cummins. 

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MoeHoward
Back
Top Bottom