Micro-rally in Pie Town, NM

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gary RV_Wizard

Site Team
We are visiting Anne & Jim Dorough in Pie Town, NM for a few days. Anne & Jim have just moved into the house they had erected on their 12 acres up on Elk Ridge. It's a zillion miles from anywhere (80 miles to a supermarket - 120 to the nearest Home Depot) but the view of the mountains defies description. Looking off the still incomplete front deck there is a [hopefully] dormant volcano as well as several other peaks. Elk bugle in the distance and at night there are more stars than can be counted.

It was several miles on washboard gravel road to get the motorhome up here - not a difficult drive but painfully slow to avoid shaking everything in the coach to pieces. Much easier in a car - can make 30 mph easy, but I had to hold the coach to 8-15 mph for the entire distance. And there was a 50A hook-up awaiting our arrival.

Today we drove to Datil, a thriving wide spot in the road (hwy 60) with a combination gas station, general store, butcher shop and restaurant, and only 25 miles away (once we reached the highway, that is). There we had an excellent hamburger (made on the premises - no Sysco packaged patties here) and then bought some T bone steaks at the meat counter. They have huge pieces of cow on display in the cooler and you tell the lady what you want and she saws it off for you. It's range fed local beef (or pork) and they also make their own sausage. What kind of sausage, you ask? Whatever kind the meat lady made that week - she just labels it sausage and to take your chances. Nothing fancy - just plain food.

I'll try to get some pictures that we do the view justice and post them later.

Sounds like my kind of place Gary, but I'd never get Chris to live somewhere so remote.

It sounds perfect.  Looking forward to your pictures and say hi for us.

Please give Anne and Jimmy our best wishes.  We miss them!  Glad to hear they're in the house already.  Last we heard they were wrangling their way through the permit process.  We're looking forward to pictures.  I remember that road, but most of all I remember huffing and puffing at that altitude.  Beautiful property!  Do they still have the Barth?  Have you been to the pie place yet?  :D

Margi

Yes, the Barth is still here in it's rustic port.  We are backed up to it to use the port hook-ups - looks sort of like the Pushme-pullyou of Doctor Doolittle fame. Currently the Barth/port is still home for the satellite system and wifi router

Pie Town  photos...

And by the way, "Horse" is the name of the cat.

Attachments

• Sunset vista-2 (Large).JPG
    Sunset vista-2 (Large).JPG
    42.7 KB · Views: 42
  • Sunset vista-3 (Large).JPG
    Sunset vista-3 (Large).JPG
    55 KB · Views: 31
  • House-front-sunset (Medium).JPG
    House-front-sunset (Medium).JPG
    62.8 KB · Views: 41
  • Anne-Jim-Nancy-Horse (Medium).JPG
    Anne-Jim-Nancy-Horse (Medium).JPG
    80.9 KB · Views: 32
  • Nancy-Jimmy discuss painting (Medium).JPG
    Nancy-Jimmy discuss painting (Medium).JPG
    91.9 KB · Views: 29
  • Tow coaches-3 (Medium).JPG
    Tow coaches-3 (Medium).JPG
    87.5 KB · Views: 37
Looks like our kind of place. Who needs a grocery store closer than 80 miles anyway? And with 12 acres, no one can ever build next to you or block your view.

Wendy

A couple more photos - the crew hard(ly) at work...

No freebies here - ya gotta work for your site.

Attachments

• Nancy finishes the foundation sealer (Medium).JPG
    Nancy finishes the foundation sealer (Medium).JPG
    59.3 KB · Views: 41
  • Anne supervises while Jimmy backfills (Medium).JPG
    Anne supervises while Jimmy backfills (Medium).JPG
    65.9 KB · Views: 42
Gary and Nancy,
Thank you so much for the report on Anne and Jim. The photos are terrific too! We would like to visit them too but don't know about taking the Wanderlodge up that washboard road!!

Best regards,
Jack and Liz

Jackliz said:
Gary and Nancy,
Thank you so much for the report on Anne and Jim. The photos are terrific too! We would like to visit them too but don't know about taking the Wanderlodge up that washboard road!!

Can't that Wanderlodge go where Gary's American Tradition and Anne and Jim's Barth has gone? ??? ??? ??? ??? ;D :D ;) ;)

Ron said:
Can't that Wanderlodge go where Gary's American Tradition and Anne and Jim's Barth has gone? ??? ??? ??? ??? ;D :D ;) ;)

Hmmmm. Well, I guess it can.  ;D

Regards,
Liz

On our last night at Anne & Jim's  we were invited to a hootenanny held at one of the local rancher's house. Nothing fancy - he & his wife just invited some of the neighbors (that's miles in ranch terms) to come over and sing and play to whatever extent they could, or just to listen and talk if they were not inclined to music. We had a guitar, a base guitar and electric piano and several singers, so there was music galore. Not always professional sounding, but nobody cared. It was a BYOB affair as well and the lubrication flowed as well as the music.

We had a great time and  it's impossible to describe how welcome these folks made us - we felt like we had lived there all our lives and everyone there was our lifelong friend. When you get lonesome for the days when things were simpler, consider moving to Pie Town, NM.

AMEN!  :D

Just wish I could breathe better up there at that altitude.  Great place.  Great people.  (Especially Anne and Jimmy)  Great pies, too.  Is the pie shop still there?

Margi

We had pie at the Pie Cafe (excellent) but did not get to try it at the Pie-O-nier across the road (which several locals assured us was better).

Yeah, breathing at 7800 feet can be a bit of a chore. Much of any effort at all had my chest asking for a moment of respite to catch up on the air supply, though it didn't actually stop me from doing moderately physical stuff. Jimmy says it took them quite awhile to acclimate but they are fine now.

Having lived at 6200 feet for 20+ years, I'm finding it hard to breath here in Death Valley at an elevation below sea level. The air here is just too thick !! The nightime temperatures are, however, wonderful (low 60s).

Wendy
Death Valley Nat Park

Back
Top Bottom