Police Scanners

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tmcnevin

Know there will be lots of individual likes and dislikes on this subject.  I would like to know from the users which unit gives the best overall coverage and performance for the money?  I am sure I will need a 'trunk tracking ' unit. 

I'm not sure there is a "Best" most all of them will give very about the same performance.

For best success you need one that can accept an external antenna. And yes, Trunker Tracker is needed as is the APCO module

Even then. You can run into some interesting state Laws.  Michigan recently changed their laws making them a lot more legal than they were a few years ago.  Course they have been legal for me since I was Seventeen, but that's another story.

That said: I don't have one,  Let's see 2,000 hours per year times 25 years and change is over 50,000 hours sitting in the police radio room...  Guess what the LAST THING I want to listen to is? (The music at my funeral of course) Ok Well, Before I die (Police calls)

I also retired (LAPD) but still like to know what is going on around me at times.  What is APCO?

APCO is an orgination of professional or police communications officers or some such, They publish a newsletter that claims "you can learn to cope with stress" and of course goes on to claim that all the stress is due to our faulty thinking,  (No mention of shrinking staff and increasing workload as a source of stress)  Thus,  Most of use rejected the company suggestion we join (Gee, wonder why, we can get that kind of babble off TV talk shows after all)

However they did write a communications standard for digital communications, and beyond that, I really don't have much info, Nor do I want any.  As I said, after 25 years on the radio desk,,, The last thing I want to listen to is Poilce calls.

In fact some folks wonder about my own 2-way radios (Ham) till I show them the POWER switch and explain how much of a pleasure it can be to operate it on occasion :)

APCO is the Association of Public Safety Communications Operators.. It is open to membership by professionals in the Land Mobile Radio world that are in some way connected to the Public Safety field.  Police, Fire and EMS.  It consist of both operators,(Dispatch folks) and The technical folks that fix the boxes and the manufacturers that build them.. They are the Frequency coordinators for those same services as well as they have written the standards for Digital Radio equipment. They also have been active in the field of improving the standards of the Dispatch personnel. 

That being said, I did belong for years as I was employed in Police , Fire , EMS communications repair for 38 years.. 

What is retirement...?

Retirement is where you have no boss, no time clock, no alarm clock no phone calls in the middle of the night offering overtime, no office and, alas, no income (Well, pension)

I work security at the local hospital.  Due to someone(s) breaking into our radio frequency we are now scrambling our transmissions.  i retired from the police department six years ago.  Are the local police still transmitting in the open?  Hard to believe.

John In Detroit said:
Retirement is where you have no boss, no time clock, no alarm clock no phone calls in the middle of the night offering overtime, no office and, alas, no income (Well, pension)

John you forgot to mentione: No paid holidays, no sick leave, no paid vacations, and no weekends since every day is like a weekend anyway. ;D ;D

Many are scrambling communications.  That said, remember that ANY radio transmission can be intercepted and decoded.  It only takes the desire, MONEY and opportunity.  They also run into the public right to know laws.

Ron, Re No paid _____> I did mention "No income" (pay).  But yup, some days I need an alarm to remember what day it is (BEEP BEEP, must be Wed, Campfire tonight, BEEP BEEP, Oh, Sunday, Go to church)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Blondie1956!
Back
Top Bottom