Irish Visitors

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hazel:

A word of caution while visiting Tucson.  All the downtown exits are closed due construction.  Last exit on the eastern side is 259.  I forget the next open one on the west side. Somewhere around Cotaro exit 248.  Check with ADOT - Arizona Department of Transportation.  It can be a real mess for the motorhome.

If going to the Saguaro Nat'l Park on the west side, I would suggest taking the exit off I-10 at Valencia Road; turn left onto Valencia and head west to Mission.  Follow Mission (carefully follow signs as it jogs and you could end up in a housing area) to Ajo Way (Hwy. 86).  Go west on 86 to Kinney Road.  Follow Kinney to the Park.  There is a state campground just before the Desert Museum called Gilbert Ray Campground.  It's a nice place to stay and the scenery is spectacular.  It was $9.50 a night a few years ago. Just beyond the Desert Museum is the Seguaro State Park.  It's good too, but we like the Desert Museum best.  His is a combination botanical garden (all desert plants and lots blooming now) and a zoo, all the native desert animals are kept in pens that are like their natural habitats.  It's like looking at mother nature in her best form.  As Jim says, don't get taken by the Old Tucson Studios.  It's a tourist rip off.  They charge fairly steep fees to visit a "movie set" of a western town.  All the stores are open and full of things for you to then spend more money on.  We do not recommend it.

Take a ride up to Gates Pass, the road to Tucson.  Stop at both parking lots near the top.  One on the right and another at the top and left.  Get out and look around you and take pictures.  Spectacular!

Ryan Airfield, on Ajo Way, (Hwy 86) not far west from Kinney used to have a decent restaurant.  Windows look onto the airfield.  Just small private planes, but maybe fun for the kids.

Lots of other stuff to see/do in Tucson, so go on-line and pick and choose.  By all means, have a great time.

Daisy

Since no one has mentioned it take lots of water with you when hiking.  When you become thirsty you are all ready dehydrating and the symptoms are headache, nausea, vomiting, and fever.  This can be very, very serious.  We always carry water with us even when in the car.

cleopatrani said:
Ive posted this on the reply to my weather post, but I thought it was apt here too....

Ok well so far the plan is this...

.... We will spend a few days there before going to Death Valley on the NEvada side, and then on the California side.  From that point of California we havent planned any further although we will be going on from there - this is all dependant on cruise america letting us return the RV in either Utah or Colorado, instead of California.  steve has to phone them this afternoon to find out. 

Just noticed this.  By the time you get to Death Valley, the daytime temperatures will be in the mid 90s F (mid 30s C).  Relative humidities will be around 10%!  North Europeans are particularly vulnerable to this combination.  Hints:  Take lots of water were ever you go and drink it.  Salt is your friend.  While I do not necessarily recommend salt pills, this is not the time to be on a low salt diet.  Wear hats.  Wear sturdy shoes and long pants.  The desert is full of thorns, critters, and alkalai dust.  Use sunscreen liberally.  Keep an eye peeled on the kids, they are more vulnerable to high heat and low humidity.  Stay on the main roads -- no solo side trips.    Remember Death Valley is at the same latitude as the Sahara Desert and is even drier and hotter.  Unless you are mad dogs or Englishmen, avoid the noon day sun -- in fact avoid the noon to 5 pm sun.

As you leave DV consider a trip to the Owens Valley and Bishop CA.  That would be up US 395.  That takes you by the Eastern Sierra, a range of snow covered ) mountains 14,000 ft (4200 m) in altitude that tower over a valley 3000 feet above sea level.  There are a number of small western towns in the Valley,  Lone Pine, Independence, Big Pine and Bishop.  Either Lone Pine or Bishop have good RV parks and are good stopovers.  The scenery is spectacular:  mountains, volcano cone, lava beds, hot springs and streams, a strangely beautiful area.  At Bishop you would have easy access to the snowplay areas at Mammoth Lakes if that appeals to you all.  Temps at Bishop will be in the 70s in the day, low 30s at night (20s - 0 C).

If you follow Hwy 395 north as Carl suggested, there's also Bodie state historic park, an entire gold mining village that has been kept as a museum. Also on Hwy 395 is Mono Lake, a stopover for millions of birds on their migration path.

From 395 you can also head over Tioga Pass into Yosemite, a wonderfully scenic place.

Tom said:
If you follow Hwy 395 north as Carl suggested, there's also Bodie state historic park, an entire gold mining village that has been kept as a museum. Also on Hwy 395 is Mono Lake, a stopover for millions of birds on their migration path.

From 395 you can also head over Tioga Pass into Yosemite, a wonderfully scenic place.

Both of those destinations are affected by snow big time.  I doubt if Tioga will open before June this year.  Maybe Bodie will be open by June.

Good catch Carl. I was forgetting the time of year when they might be there. Some friends drove 395 recently and said the road to Bodie was snowed in.

Tom said:
Good catch Carl. I was forgetting the time of year when they might be there. Some friends drove 395 recently and said the road to Bodie was snowed in.

They plow 395 religiously but the side roads are plowed only by the wind.

Carl L said:
...  Unless you are mad dogs or Englishmen, avoid the noon day sun -- in fact avoid the noon to 5 pm sun...

But...  they ARE Englishmen.  They just happen to live in Ireland now.    ;D

Hahaha, Steves the only englishman in our family, bless him. Me and the kids are Irish. Its all very confusing. lol.

Love getting all the tips btw.  Very helpful.  I need to write them all down so I remember.  Should be in the death valley region in about 3 or  4 weeks.  After a long day on the phone to Cruise America getting all sorts of nonsensical advice we have managed to book the RV for an extra month and will be heading back to ireland on 3rd July.  I have drawn two theoretical routes we may take if anyone is interested in lookng at them and giving me comments. They are on my blog.  www.freerangetravels.blogstpot.com

Cheers
Hazel the Irish (not that anyone believes it) and Steve the English.

Does anyone have a good link to Hazel's blog?  I tried copying the url she posted but could only get to an ad-type index page.  Thanks.

Margi

cleopatrani said:
...  I have drawn two theoretical routes we may take if anyone is interested in lookng at them and giving me comments. They are on my blog.  www.freerangetravels.blogstpot.com

Personally, I would go for a modified option "B".  I would go directly from Los Angeles to Las Vegas, then into northern Arizona, the Grand Canyon area, southern & central Utah, then into Colorado, up through Estes Park and up into Wyoming, Yellowstone and the rest of your route "B".

Hazel, the Irish,

I still think Colorado Rockies might be a little early for your planned trip. It would have to be at the tail end for sure. I would not miss Utah and the Moab area!!! It is awesome and, if you can get there during the forum rally, you will be treated to some great off road trips. Only wish we could be there as well!! We were lucky four years ago to find Yosemite full of water with all the falls flowing. It doesn't happen every year. Not sure what it might be like this year.

We certainly have enjoyed your blog and you have given us things to look for whenever we can make another trip west! Whenever I show Pat the photos you have taken she always mentions her friend Luke! ;D He sure does have another Grandma! :)

Thanks for your suggestions.  I will certainly look into that modified route B.

Funnily enough Jim, Luke was saying just today on the way back from Carlbad Caverns, how much he misses 'The Great Outdoors'.  I asked him why and he said he misses Pat and Jim.  All the kids had a blast there and all 3 of them say it was the best part of the holiday so far.

Hazel:  (Or is it Bree?)

I spent most of my free time the last couple of days reading your blog.  I started with the very beginning post when you landed in Florida and continued reading until the present.  I enjoyed every minute!  I'll keep up with you, now, as you continue on with your trip across the US.  I especially got a kick out of Barny "killing" the shrimp before he ate them and Annabelle refusing to eat them after she saw them uncooked and unpeeled.  I loved Jimmie's cowboy hat and his obvious pride in wearing it.  I also very much enjoyed your reports of eating in the hotel during your Big Bend trip.  Beautiful pictures, too!  You two are very special parents and I know your children will remember this trip forever.  :)

I concur that Pat and Jim Dick are very special people who are willing to go the extra mile to show their love and support.  Been there, felt that when they went out of their way to visit us in Indiana after we had been grazed by a semi on the turnpike and were holed up for repairs.  That's very literally "going the extra mile".  :D  It's one of our treasured memories of this forum framily and of our post-retirement travels.

Margi

cleopatrani said:
Thanks for your suggestions.  I will certainly look into that modified route B.

Funnily enough Jim, Luke was saying just today on the way back from Carlbad Caverns, how much he misses 'The Great Outdoors'.  I asked him why and he said he misses Pat and Jim.  All the kids had a blast there and all 3 of them say it was the best part of the holiday so far.

Hazel,

You don't know how much we miss not having you across the street!!! We enjoyed meeting you and hope we will see you all again someday!!! We enjoyed all of your family but Luke sure hit home with "Grandma"! :)

Tom and Margi said:
Hazel:  (Or is it Bree?)

I spent most of my free time the last couple of days reading your blog.  I started with the very beginning post when you landed in Florida and continued reading until the present.  I enjoyed every minute!  I'll keep up with you, now, as you continue on with your trip across the US.  I especially got a kick out of Barny "killing" the shrimp before he ate them and Annabelle refusing to eat them after she saw them uncooked and unpeeled.  I loved Jimmie's cowboy hat and his obvious pride in wearing it.  I also very much enjoyed your reports of eating in the hotel during your Big Bend trip.  Beautiful pictures, too!  You two are very special parents and I know your children will remember this trip forever.  :)

I concur that Pat and Jim Dick are very special people who are willing to go the extra mile to show their love and support.  Been there, felt that when they went out of their way to visit us in Indiana after we had been grazed by a semi on the turnpike and were holed up for repairs.  That's very literally "going the extra mile".  :D  It's one of our treasured memories of this forum framily and of our post-retirement travels.

Margi

Margi,

We surely miss seeing you and Tom. Some of our most memorable moments in RVing were with you and the Thomas's! We hope someday we will again be together. I recently told the story of your "slide-out" addition to the Bounder!! ;D Pat still has a hard time with her gullibility!! ;D ;D

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Davidomero
Back
Top Bottom