Irish Visitors

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hi Lorna,

I'm happy to hear you and Ned got to meet them. We really enjoyed having them here. Pat & Luke really hit if off. She enjoys seeing pictures of him as well as the rest of the family.

Just checking in again here.  Spent 5 days in the Big Bend National Park.  Got to see the Rio Grande, slept dry in the Chihauhaun Desert.  The area is just absolutely stunning.  We are so glad we took the time to go there.  You can read about it and see pics at our blog www.freerangetravels.blogspot.com  Now we are in Fort Davis for 3 nights, then moving up to New Mexico where we are staying near the Carlsbad Caverns for 3 nights.  I must say I absolutely loved Texas, it was my favourite state so far.  the kids still like Florida the best.  The people in texas were so friendly, the scenery was breath taking, and sleeping in the Chihauhaun Desert totally alone is something I will never ever forget. 

Hope everyone on the forum is well.
The Maygers

Attachments

• DSC_0013.jpg
    DSC_0013.jpg
    290.6 KB · Views: 36
  • view6.jpg
    view6.jpg
    205.7 KB · Views: 37
  • 083.jpg
    083.jpg
    150.3 KB · Views: 25
A few more photos from Big Bend.  I love the one of our RV parked totally alone in our desert camp spot with the mountains behind. 

Attachments

• DSC_0122.jpg
    DSC_0122.jpg
    182.7 KB · Views: 30
  • 010.jpg
    010.jpg
    246.5 KB · Views: 35
  • DSC_0047.jpg
    DSC_0047.jpg
    202.2 KB · Views: 43
cleopatrani said:
A few more photos from Big Bend.  I love the one of our RV parked totally alone in our desert camp spot with the mountains behind. 

Beautiful photos!  I like the one with the red hills in the distance.  Nice to see big photos like that posted. 
[Tom won't let most of us post photos that big. (290kb)  :'( ]

Hazel, don't worry about it.  Resize your photos here to 800x600 and everyone will be happy :)  Put the larger images on your blog and we'll look at them there.

cleopatrani said:
oh gosh, what have i started??  :eek:

No worry you haven't started anything bad.  Such discussions help others understand the need for limitations.

Sure hope you can visit Sam's Camp in the center of Montana.

The photos of Big Bend are awesome.  Hopefully all of the framily will go to your blog and read your post and view all of the photos that your family took there.  Now I am really looking forward to going there next spring to see it.

cleopatrani said:
oh gosh, what have i started??  :eek:

Don't worry a minute, Hazel.  It's just our normal forum give 'n' take.   :D  Your photos of the Big Bend area are the best I've seen so far!  We enjoy reading of your travels around the US.  Your reports give us a new, fresh view of our own country.

Margi

Hazel,

As others have said, don't worry about it. We're really all good friends and many of us have been for many years.

P.S. I split and moved the "file size" discussion here so as not to detract from your excellent reports.

Ive posted this on the reply to my weather post, but I thought it was apt here too....

Ok well so far the plan is this...

we are currently at Fort Davis, texas
In two days we are moving to a site near the Carlsbad Caverns for 3 nights.  Then on to the white sands national park area, both in New mexico. 
From there we are going down to El Paso for a night or two on our way to Saguaro National Park area in Arizona.
Then onto  Organ Pipe Cactus National Park in Arizona for a few days. 
From there we are heading up to the Grand Canyon (stopping somewhere in between probably).  We will spend a few days there before going to Death Valley on the NEvada side, and then on the California side.  From that point of California we havent planned any further although we will be going on from there - this is all dependant on cruise america letting us return the RV in either Utah or Colorado, instead of California.  steve has to phone them this afternoon to find out. 

Thats it for now :)
Hazel

Hazel,

There are two sections of the Saquaro National Monument. One on the east side of Tucson and the other on the west side. On the west side there is the Arizona/Sonoran Desert Museum. Really nice as they have examples of the three types of desert and quite a few animals that live on them. There is also Old Tucson which was a movie set many years ago and now is a tourist trap. I would bypass that one. Also on the west side at the corner of Ajo Way and San Juan Rd. there is a small BLM area where people can boondock. At least they could 4 years ago.

Be careful of the roads in that area. You will see signs at dips that say "do not enter when flooded".  Slow down for them as they are quite deep in spots and can create quite a feeling. Also the Class C might hit in the rear if it bounces too much. They are fun in a car at slightly higher speeds. ;D ;D

Hazel,

I've enjoyed reading about your trip.  Texas is a great state with a lot to see.  If you are going to be in Fort Davis for 2 more days and want to find out more about the area, we have some good friends there that you should try to meet.  Dan and Terri Webster own Wildflower Cottages in Fort Davis.  They have several vacation rental houses which you can view on their website HERE.  Call the number listed in the contact information and tell them that Dan Walters from Beaumont, TX told you to call them.  They are really nice people and would love to meet you or help you with things to do and see in that area.  Enjoy the rest of your trip and keep us posted. 

Dan

Ron said:
A visit to Tombstone and Kartchner Caverns is worth while too.

Tombstone is fine and is worth a look.  A more impressive site is Bisbee and its Lavender Pit and Copper Queen Mine -- the latter being a tour.  Ft Huachuca has a old frontier army post concealed at its center.  If the fort, an active post, is still open for visitors it is worth a look.

You are absolutlely correct Carl.  We enjoyed several days in that area last month.  Well worth spending a few days.  Tombsone Territories is probably the nicest RV park in the area and is a Passport America Park.

Ron said:
You are absolutlely correct Carl.  We enjoyed several days in that area last month.  Well worth spending a few days.  Tombstone Territories is probably the nicest RV park in the area and is a Passport America Park.

I lived there in the early 1960s.  I even have a permit issued by the City Constable of Tombstone to carry a pistol in the city limits of Tombstone.  The pistol was a Colt 1859 and the occasion was a pioneers day festival.  I also did some informal high grading in the old Toughnut mine under the town.    The mine was abandoned at that time.  It is sealed now.

Carl L said:
I lived there in the early 1960s.   I even have a permit issued by the City Constable of Tombstone to carry a pistol in the city limits of Tombstone.  The pistol was a Colt 1859 and the occasion was a pioneers day festival.   I also did some informal high grading in the old Toughnut mine under the town.    The mine was abandoned at that time.   It is sealed now.

Sounds like it would have been fun.  Tombstone does have some interesting things.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Claassen
Back
Top Bottom