Crouchers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
LOL Wendy. When I traveled the Far East, my Oriental friends/colleagues used to always enter first to check it out, then report if it was "Oriental or Western style". They knew my bod couldn't adopt that stance without me falling over  ;D

Edit: I split/moved these messages from the book review.

It's a great word....would have applied nicely to my long-gone backpacking days. Not to mention some 4WD runs and day hikes.

Wendy

I once worked with a guy who said he "never sat down to go". He called it "farmer's style"; He was also a farmer, and explained why that stance was necessary in the fields  ;D

wendycoke said:
"crouchers" eh?  :D

I must live a sheltered life.  I never knew there was such a thing as an "oriental style toilet."  I'm thinking I probably don't want to know what it looks like... 

For those who really want to know, here's one described and illustrated.

KodiakRV said:
I must live a sheltered life.  I never knew there was such a thing as an "oriental style toilet."  I'm thinking I probably don't want to know what it looks like... 

Think of the name and use your imagination  :D

I wish I could find the decals I have that give the instructions for using the Western style and the instructions for using the Japanese style facilities that were often place on the wall.  If I do I will post them.  They are even animated.

LOL Ron, knowing how well the Japanese do illustrated instructions, I'd love to see them.

As you know, a few countries, including Japan, would have "Western style" and "Japanese style" (or "Asian style") on the door. A vendor in Indonesia I used to visit would have someone walk ahead of me and unlock a stall marked "Customers only"; When I first observed this and asked why a special, locked stall, they told me "it's the only Western style one we have".

Thank you,  now I am an expert on "Crouchology.  8)

Might come in handy some day. Pass the paper.

Might come in handy some day.

Should I add it to your Tips & Tricks discussion? Maybe I'll include Ron's illustrated user instructions.

Tom,

I'll never forget the first time I saw the "hole in the floor" in Japan. It certainly was a surprise. ;D

We always called them "bullseyes", after the crouch and aim technique.

Gary, you reminded me of a (true) astronaut story. I was attending some function at NASA, Ames in Sunnyvale, CA, and we had a "real" astronaut as a lunch time speaker. His talk was aimed at dispelling the myth that space travel is glamorous, and he supported it with slides.

Since they don't have flush toilets on board, astronauts are "taught" to aim straight or, more correctly, to sit in the exact position to score a bullseye. He showed an image of a commode with a video camera pointing up through the hole, then he showed an image of a monitor you'd be looking at if you were sitting on the commode.

One of the best shots was during his opening remarks, explaining that there are 3 times when an astronaut can't get out of their seat; Takeoff, re-entry, and landing. But what if you just have to go? He showed a photo of himself sans the space suit - he was wearing a huge diaper.

The there are the co-educational facilities.  Not as many as when I was in Japan in the early 60/s but they are still there.  Some of the pits had chrome looking bars on each side of the hole to help steady ones self.

Tom said:
LOL Ron, knowing how well the Japanese do illustrated instructions, I'd love to see them.

As you know, a few countries, including Japan, would have "Western style" and "Japanese style" (or "Asian style") on the door. A vendor in Indonesia I used to visit would have someone walk ahead of me and unlock a stall marked "Customers only"; When I first observed this and asked why a special, locked stall, they told me "it's the only Western style one we have".

I actually saw many of the instruction decals on the wall in front of the Western and the Japanese style.  Made a special effort to find out where I could by some and did get them but now it is a challange to find them.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeeRob
Back
Top Bottom