NY Fall Colors Spectacular

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gary RV_Wizard

Site Team
Nancy & I had to make a fast run to Rome, NY this past week for a funeral. To partially offset the somber occasion, the fall colors in central NY and northern PA along I81 and I90 are the grandest I have seen in many years. Words like "spectacular" and "awesome" don't even begin to describe the brilliant reds and golds, oranges, rusts, bronzes and numerous colors that probably have no names. It was a fairly wet fall and there hasn't been a killing frost yet in most areas, so there is plenty of lush green to form a backdrop for the bright colors.  We traveled about 200 miles while continually oohing and ahhing over one great spectacle after another.  We were south of Scranton on I81 before the colors began to peter out and were merely pretty.

Today we are on our way back to the coach in Fair Play, SC and are expecting to see more great colors at the south end of I81 in VA, near the I77 junction.  That area had a lot of red when we came through last Tuesday and I'm guessing it can only have improved in the interim. I81 in central VA, however, isn't showing a lot of color yet.

We plan to go up along the St. Lawrence next weekend as the colors are supposed to be at or near peak.  I expect the furnace will be working.  Hope to be able to post a few pictures.

Donna and I took the toad from the cottage up to visit the grandkids here in Ottawa yesterday.  We decided to head across Maine through the White and Green Mountains, and while they are a bit past their prime, they were spectacular too.  What did take the glitter off of them was the price of gas, when you factor in the exchange.  Maine wasn't too bad with gas at $2.99, but NH & Vermont was at around $3.40.  With the $.85 dollar, it is a lot cheaper here in Ontario.  That right, the dollar dropped to 85 cents over the last week, guess you guys all came to Canada a couple of months early, and I'm going to Florida a couple of months late.

Terry and I just spent a couple of weeks in Pennsylvania and here are some of my fall color shots to show you how impressed we were!

Betty

Attachments

• IMG_8469.JPG
    IMG_8469.JPG
    134.4 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_8455.JPG
    IMG_8455.JPG
    132.1 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_8459.JPG
    IMG_8459.JPG
    128.7 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_8473-1.JPG
    IMG_8473-1.JPG
    82.7 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_8468.JPG
    IMG_8468.JPG
    81.1 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_8467-1.JPG
    IMG_8467-1.JPG
    71.4 KB · Views: 43
Thanks for the photos, Betty. We didn't even have a camera with us - that's not an item one remembers to pack for a funeral!

We saw more brilliant flame reds than I can recall for many years. The maples were simply incredible in their display of them.

Looks like we were at Chet's about 2 weeks too soon.  Not much color here in NC and tomorrow we go further south to SC.

Ned said:
Looks like we were at Chet's about 2 weeks too soon. 

Ned,

We were at Chet's for 10 days and we could literally see the colors change each day.  On the nights with a very cold temperature we were thinking we could see the  trees change color by the minute.  Having  had to work or go to school  in the fall all of my life in Southern California , I have never ever witnessed the spectacle of fall colors.  I am still taking deep breaths.  My photos are only a  small part of what we saw and my camera is not a super duper for long distance shots.  The guys with the fancy cameras got better shots than I did, but hey I post what I have! 

Betty

Having survived 50+ WI winters, we're quite familiar with the color changes, but it's still a spectacular sight, especially when it happens so quickly.  You're fortunate to be there at this time of year.

And the pictures are just fine :)

Your colors in the east are so different from ours here in the Rockies. We're mostly Aspen gold and the color change season is just about done in the mountains. Different story in town, most trees are in early color change mode....my silver maple has just barely started.

Wendy

Betty,

Thanks for reminding us of how pretty fall is back east.  Great photos....  Up in Washington and B.C. there were too many pines and too few hard woods like maples so no pretty colors.

ArdraF

Hfx_Cdn said:
....  With the $.85 dollar, it is a lot cheaper here in Ontario.  That right, the dollar dropped to 85 cents over the last week, guess you guys all came to Canada a couple of months early, and I'm going to Florida a couple of months late.

Ummm...  which way is that?  One Canadian dollar for 85 US cents or vice versa?

The Canadian dollar went from almost par down to being worth 85 cents us, or the other way, it costs us $1.14 Canadian to buy a US dollar.  So on a $3.50 gallon as was being charged in Vermont on the week end, it was costing us an additional 65 cents a gallon, when we got to Ottawa,it was 95 cents a Litre, or about $3.70 a US gallon.

Chet,

As we discussed, Pennsylvania does not advertise their beautiful fall colors as much as other New England States but the colors are indeed breath taking!  Thanks for sharing the ongoing changes!

Betty 

I see my friend Ron Marabito called for fall pics, so let me add one from western Canada to the collection.

Ciao,

Doug

Attachments

• Adams River, fall (Small).jpg
    Adams River, fall (Small).jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 45
Back
Top Bottom