Hi-Jackers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
DonTom said:
If I started a thread that got hijacked, I do NOT think I would have even noticed that it happened!

I think you would notice if you were awaiting replies on a certain problem/issue you were having, only to see that the thread heads off in some other unrelated direction and you never get the help you need.  ;)  I have experienced that and it's quite frustrating.

I actively scan subject lines and use the "Search" function (and encourage others to do the same), to find old threads on topics that I'm wondering about.  In those cases, thread hijack makes it much more difficult to find answers.  I may pull up a thread based on its subject line for instance, if someone has posted the same question I may have about my RV.  Then I discover that the majority of the thread has nothing to do with that topic, if major thread drift/hijack has occurred.

Thread drift - perfectly natural as long as the topic can get back on track
Thread hijack - like butting in and interrupting someone's ongoing conversation, with no regard to the overall topic.  That wouldn't polite or considerate in-person, so why online?

In many cases, it's an issue of new(er) users misunderstanding internet etiquette, i.e. "netiquette".  If this kind of message board is a new concept to some, it can be easy to misunderstand the ease of starting new threads with new questions.  They see a topic with a subject that's close to theirs, and start asking their own questions under that heading without reading the prior replies and discussion.

And yes, some forums have little direction and let discussion threads fly off in whatever direction anyone decides.  And others (like this one) are more organized, which is something that's closer to my own personality and has kept me here.  :)

Ron said:
I agree with Gary and Ned on this one.  

I agree with Gary and Ned as long as The Shade Tree is exempt from that type of rigidity.  This forum has long been a place for social discussion as well as a source for technical and topical education and assistance.  In-person social conversation does ramble naturally.  Interesting that this topic is being discussed in The Shade Tree.

Margi

Margi,

Would you please stay on topic  ;D  Have no fear, I'm usually the advocate for allowing discussions under The Shade Tree to wander at will.

BTW whatever happened to the term thread police  :eek:  Fortunately, we haven't seen that used around here in a long time.

I understand where you are all coming from. I was PTO president at our kids school for many years and keeping people on  the subject at hand was hard and frustrating. Made getting to the solution take that much longer. Makes for longer meetings so I am with those against thread drift and high jacking.

Tom said:
BTW whatever happened to the term thread police  :eek:  Fortunately, we haven't seen that used around here in a long time.

I had forgotten that term.  Thanks for reminding me of it, Tom.......    ;D ;D

Margi, have no fear, the Shade Tree is untouchable :)

Thread Police has a negative connotation to me, much like Grammar ****.  I prefer to think of it as topic management instead.

Ned said:
Margi, have no fear, the Shade Tree is untouchable :)

That's good, Ned.  It's always been my favorite section.  :D  Grammar **** does sound very sinister.  I like your term much better.

Margi

RV Roamer said:
I'm one of ones who has an issue with hi-jacking. 

I noticed that! ;D

RV Roamer said:
In my mind it is analogous to going into a store and having the clerk take a phone call while waiting on you, handling the the callers business instead of yours and keeping you waiting. Does anybody think that's OK?

The two do not compare, IMO. That happens all the time and I wish they had no telephone in stores. That wastes a lot of our time. It doesn't take much time to speed past a few unrelated messages.

Nevertheless, I will be sure to stay on topic here from now on.

-Don-​

davemittan said:
Yep - me too.

Yeah, of course. That's why all staff members only get a single vote collectively. We all know that all staff members stick together on every single issue that comes up! ;D

That puts the vote about even! ;D

-Don-  Reno, NV

Pat723 said:
Hi Jackers or Hi Jacking

Personally I do not care, it is like riding in the car with my wife I say turn right and she turn left. LOL
So for the record if you Hi Jack a thread of mine I will not get mad or even. I just start a new topic.
If it did make me that mad, I know this will surprise some people out here but my PC came with on/off button.. :)
Life is to short to fight over the little things in life.
Pat

That's about how I would feel about it too. Besides, if I got hijacked, I might even be more interested in the new topic!

IMO, at worse case, it's like somebody else changing my plans in the middle of a RV trip. When I once get in the RV, don't ask where I am going. Ask me where I went after I come back! And it can be anybody else anywhere who convinces me to go somewhere else from the original plan. And perhaps I will like the new place better. It's always nice to have a place or two in reserve to visit for the next trip anyway.

Now, did I just cause the start of a thread drift or was this a complete hijack? ;D

Oh, this is the Shade Tree section, so it doesn't matter ;D

-Don-  Reno, NV[/center]

DonTom said:

That's about how I would feel about it too. Besides, if I got hijacked, I might even be more interested in the new topic!

IMO, at worse case, it's like somebody else changing my plans in the middle of a RV trip. When I once get in the RV, don't ask where I am going. Ask me where I went after I come back! And it can be anybody else anywhere who convinces me to go somewhere else from the original plan. And perhaps I will like the new place better. It's always nice to have a place or two in reserve to visit for the next trip anyway.

Now, did I just cause the start of a thread drift or was this a complete hijack? ;D

Oh, this is the Shade Tree section, so it doesn't matter ;D

-Don-  Reno, NV[/center]

Don

I agree ;D

Pat ;)

DonTom said:
We all know that all staff members stick together on every single issue that comes up!

Stick around here a little longer, and you'll see that is not always the case here.  ;)  And as a staff member on another forum, I certainly know I sometimes stand alone on certain issues that arise.

scottydl

scottydl said:
Stick around here a little longer, and you'll see that is not always the case here.  ;)  And as a staff member on another forum, I certainly know I sometimes stand alone on certain issues that arise.

I know what you mean ;D

Pat

We all know that all staff members stick together on every single issue that comes up!  ;D

Hi Don, I take it from the smiley that you were either kidding or trying to get a rise out of someone.

For the benefit of folks who don't know the forum staff very well or how we operate, nothing could be further from the truth. We often have differing perspectives and opinions, although we'll sometimes discuss our differences in the back room. Some of the differing opinions do spill over into the public area, but usually in a civilized statement backed up by facts, rather than emotion. However, there is no "party line", and forum staffers are always free to make their own perspectives known, and usually do.

Rarely, if ever, will you see "all staff members" even respond to any issue, and definitely not all issues. So it's hard to understand how the "stick together" statement could be made by anyone.

Don't know who the forum staff are? Click the Hosts button in the toolbar above for mug shots and a brief background on each of us. As will be very clear, we have very diverse backgrounds and experience, but we share the love of the RVing lifestyle and a dedication to helping others.

As I've said many times, we don't always get it right, but we sure try hard.

"Hi Don, I take it from the smiley that you were either kidding or trying to get a rise out of someone."

Of course I was kidding!    Believe it or not, I am on the staff of a couple of forums myself.

Here (repair section)  and also here.

-Don-

Back
Top Bottom