Drive 395 from Yosemite to Mammoth Lakes area? Tioga Pass?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dollo

Thinking of driving from Yosemite to the Mammoth Lakes area, through the Tioga Pass on the 395. 
-Is it advisable in an RV? 
-Is it steep heading that direction? 
-Would you do it? 
-Have you done it?
-What are the ups and downs of it and would you recommend it or an alternate route?

All help would be appreciated.

Tioga Pass is very steep from Yosemite to Mammoth Lakes.  If you are comfortable going down steep grades and have a good braking system you should be fine.  What are you using for an RV?

I have driven down that grade in a dually gas engine truck with a slide in camper.  It was fine.  Tioga Pass comes out at Lee Vining.  The grade going north on 395 is steep in some places; especially Mono Grade.

Marsha~

Yes, agree with Marsha.  We've driven it in a couple of RVs but it's definitely steep.  Good brakes and judicial use of gears is essential.

ArdraF

As Marsha suggests, it might depend on what RV you have. I've driven that route a number of times in a car or SUV, but prefer not to drive it in our diesel motorhome towing the Suburban. OTOH the "alternate route" would take you down to Bakersfield, over Tehachepi pass, and north on Hwy 395 - a long diversion. Another alternate is north to Reno, and south on Hwy 395, a longer diversion. There's Sonora pass, but I like that less than Tioga with any kind of RV.

We've done it several times towing a large (heavy) 5th wheel trailer with a diesel pickup.  It's fine IF you are comfortable with mountain driving.

Jeannine

Descending Tioga is a more than a bit of a white knuckle drive.   On the descent, your lane is next to the drop off and it is a nightmare for the passenger.  There is one 5 mile long stretch with a 7-8% grade.   Sonora is a monster (27% grade at one spot.)

You might head north to I-80 and pick up US395 at Reno.   Prettier drive than the Bakersfield route, but indeed longer.

[quote author=Carl L]Sonora is a monster (27% grade at one spot.)[/quote]

Aye Carl; I experienced brake fade in our Bronco (solo) for the first and only time while crossing over Sonora Pass; Scared the heck out of me, and we sat alongside the road for an hour while everything cooled down.

One edition of Mountain Directory had a sad story of a trucker getting jammed into the cut face at a switchback on Sonora and having to be pulled out by a tow truck.

Carl L said:
You might head north to I-80 and pick up US395 at Reno.   Prettier drive than the Bakersfield route, but indeed longer.

I like the scenery down on the south part of 395. Perhaps because I am down there a lot less often.

And all those WhipTail Lizards down that way are interesting to watch! 

-Don- SSF, CA​

The deathly dull part of the trip is the CA-99 and CA-58 portions in the San Joaquin Valley and the run north until Red Rock Canyon.   The US 395 part of the run is fascinating indeed, especially if you are into geology --  I must have made that run a hundred times.   Actually the US 395 run from Carson City NV to Mojave, CA is great fun.  The Bridgeport, CA to Red Rock Canyon portion is utterly spectacular:   volcanoes; mountain meadows; pine forests; great trout streams; snow-capped 14000 foot mountains rising 2 miles over the valley in a single great scarp; hot springs; mountain lakes;  Mono Lake; Bodie Ghost Town National Historical Site;  Mammoth Mtn Ski Area;  Devils Postpile NM; Bristle Cone NM.   The run is worth a week or two by itself.

[quote author=Carl L]Actually the US 395 run from Carson City NV to Mojave is great fun.  The Bridgeport, CA to Red Rock Canyon portion is utterly spectacular:   volcanoes; mountain meadows; pine forests; great trout streams...  The run is worth a week or two by itself.[/quote]

Agree 100% Carl. We made that run last year after a hiatus of many years. Actually, we left 395 to visit Marsha and Tim in Kernville, then on to Bakersfield for service before heading home. Reading your message is giving me the itch to go fly fishing again!

Carl L said:
 Mono Lake; Bodie Ghost Town National Historical Site;  Mammoth Mtn Ski Area;  Devils Postpile NM; Bristle Cone NM.   The run is worth a week or two by itself.

Yep. We've been to all those places a couple of times. But went to the Ancient Bristlecone Pine Forest on a motorcycle each time. Seems like that would be a tough trip getting up there to 11,200 feet in a RV.

-Don- SSF, CA​

Especially at the one lane squeeze at Westgard Pass.  And as you hint, at 11,000' even my Bronco while not exactly wheezing, was thinking about it.

I remember traveling east across Tioga Pass at dawn and then down the other side in a pickup truck. I thought it was absolutely beautiful. But the girl with me was from Detroit and she was absolutely terrified on the way down - so much so that she crawled down on the floor and covered her head with her sweatshirt and wouldn't come back up until we were all the way down. That road isn't for everyone or for every vehicle.

Wendy

The first time we made the trip across Tioga Pass was in Chris' Triumph Spitfire rag top with a 1200cc engine. Barely made it over the top. It was wheezing so much, I thought we were going to have to get out and push the car.

We have a 2005 Itasca Suncruiser and the part that makes me nervous is the Workhorse Brake issue.  Knowing what you have all said I will pass on that trip and figure out other ideas.  Thank you all.

In '04, we made that trip in our 24FT "C".

As mentioned, judicial use of gears is the key. Take your time, and hurry for no-one.

Carl, you mentioned the drop off for the passenger... reminds me of a rather quick trip my wife made from the passenger seat to the B-room on our trip. We were OK, but I'm not too sure I would have wanted to be in a wider vehicle (mine is 8 feet)

I had an experience like that in my fathers Pace Arrow in '76 on 15 going up to the Gila Bend cliff dwellings. Thank God the wheels were set in about 2.5 feet from the side of the MH. I could 't decide between pooping, screaming, or passing out.

One more question...
If you had to go from Hayward, CA to Mammoth Lakes, which route would you take if you had the brake issue you felt unsure of and wanted to avoid steep downgrades?  Thank you again for your help.

You have got very few options, and they both double the miles.

I found THIS post on another forum  by user "1492" about the brake issue.

It's your call, but I would have the brakes checked out by a certified shop aware of the issue, and proceed with care via whatever route you choose. Use low gear as appropriate. The engine can greatly reduce the need to apply the brakes.

[quote author=dollo]If you had to go from Hayward, CA to Mammoth Lakes, which route would you take if you had the brake issue you felt unsure of and wanted to avoid steep downgrades?[/quote]

I'd head to Reno/Sparks via I-5/I-80 and head south on Hwy 395 from there. We live northeast of you, in Discovery Bay. We previously lived in Livermore and worked in Fremont, so we know where you're coming from in Hayward.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
am312
Back
Top Bottom