Android platform phones

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
[quote author=Jeff]Remember Grafitti.[/quote]

On the fold-out keyboard?  ;D

Delete key is lower right, above the Go (or Next) key, right next to the m key.

Backspace deletes the previous character.  On my keyboard it's labeled 'Del', but does the same function as backspace.

As I said, that's the backspace on this device. I wonder if the default on-screen keyboard layout changed with Android 2.0, released this month. The Moto Droid uses 2.0, and I'm awaiting the 2.0 update from HTC. Meanwhile, I'll go look at some of those alternate keyboard apps.

Regardless of the key name, it does the same thing.  Delete the previous character and move the cursor one space to the left.  Isn't that what it does on your keyboard or is it non-destructive?

"I know nothinnnng" remember Hogans Heroes? (My namesake)

Tom, does the Droid/Druid whatever, allow you to high-light a word or line? If so, the Delete key may work. I'll go back into my hole now...  ;D

carson

Tom said:
As I said, that's the backspace on this device. I wonder if the default on-screen keyboard layout changed with Android 2.0, released this month.

Yep -- that's one of the keys I found frustrating when I first began using a smartphone. The Del key deletes forward, and the backspace backwards. And each has it's place when text editing. If you are at the beginning of a sentence or paragraph and want to delete -- you must move the insertion cursor to the end of the text. I can understand that on a fixed keyboard, but on the screen keyboards there should be one of each. My other pet peeve in the fixed keyboard was that there is only one Shift key! An older fellow could break a thumb working with that . . .  :)

BTW -- I hope you can Cut and Paste on the Droid/s? And have all the neat Word edit keys such a single, double, and triple clicks to highlight words, sentences, paragraphs, and docs -- and sync whatever files with your PC?

Carson, a double click with the fingertip will select a word in a text box.  Delete works as expected.

Bob, my keyboards have only a delete key and it works as a backspace key.  There is no key labeled Backspace, just Del.  The slideout keyboard has 2 shift keys and they work as expected.  Cut/Copy is done by highlighting the text and press and hold on the text box.  Once text is cut or copied it can be pasted.

The Delete key on our desktop and laptop keyboards and my wireless keyboards work as Bob described. The keyboards also have a key labeled Backspace. Maybe Toshiba saved a penny by leaving that delete function out   :eek:

Our Toshiba notebook has both keys, my Droid has the backspace key labeled Del.  There is a graphic below the Del label that shows it functions as a backspace key however.

One other nit, the Home page doesn't shift to landscape, it stays in portrait mode.  This includes the Quick Search bar.  But since Voice Search is available on the home page, that's not a big problem.  Voice search is one of the neater features.

>> Bob, my keyboards have only a delete key and it works as a backspace key.  There is no key labeled Backspace, just Del.
===
If doing any kind of text edit volume, that is too bad. DEL "should" delete the characer under the cursor - and continue forward doing that, whereas Backspace deletes the character to the left of the cursor and continues in that direction. If you only have a Backspace key, you must move to the right of anything you want to delete. You should be able to delete in either direction according to where the stuff is you want to delete vs. having to make a round trip from your current position.

>> The slideout keyboard has 2 shift keys and they work as expected.
===
Terrific!! I'll bet that was based on a lot of negative feedback on the single shift keyboards. Ned, based on my experience with thumbing a fixed keyboard vs. the on screen keyboards, if you learn thumbing, you will probably be glad you have the fixed keyboard. You touch type, so the motor movements do not have to be relearned with thumbing - whereas with single touch with finger or stylus, you must think about where each key is located. And, FWIW, my thumbs sure prefer those raised keys.

Ned,

I've seen the call log. Seems I haven't had any missed calls. Sure not as convenient as the standard listings. Something else to get use to doing. I do have the power management app. Normally I never go to the screen where those options are listed. Have no idea how I did it but I must have turned it off somehow.

I guess using the mapping with voice commands could work as long as you could trust it. :) Need a lot more time playing before I decide!

Well, every device seems to be a set of compromises and doesn't please everyone.  Personally, I won't be doing a lot of text editing on the Droid, that's what my real computers are for, so I don't miss the true delete key.  Most of my errors are fixed with a backspace.

I'll give the slideout keyboard a fair trial, but expect I'll use the onscreen one most of the time.

Jim, one thing I found I have to watch is to not inadvertently press the volume key.  If it goes all the way down, all sounds are shut off.

[quote author=Ned]
Our Toshiba notebook has both keys, my Droid has the backspace key labeled Del.[/quote]

Ah, I thought you were saying your regular computer keyboards didn't have a delete key that functions as a "forward delete". Since every computer I recall owning had both keys, each performing different functions, I've been rummaging around all my old computers. I even looked at my old luggable Tandy 1400LT and my first lightweight laptop, the TI 2000, sitting in the recycle pile in the garage. Both have the two keys which perform different functions.

Back to my question - has anyone found the delete key (not a mis-labeled backspace key) on the Android on-screen keyboard? I'm asking because I found a need.

Tom:

You mentioned the joystick for moving the cursor. The screen is a touch screen that allows you to tap to relocate the cursor doesn't it?

Yes it is Jeff. But the Droid Eris also has a small multi-function trackball (sorry, I called it a joystick) located below the screen that I can roll my thumb over to move the cursor. It also performs several other functions, such as popping up the on-screen keyboard (by depressing it), and it has an integral light for some notifications (haven't figured out which ones).

One challenge for me is when I want to insert the cursor into the middle of text with very small font, such as the address bar of an RSS reader. I can't accurately put the cursor in the right place by tapping the screen.

Ned said:
Jim, one thing I found I have to watch is to not inadvertently press the volume key.  If it goes all the way down, all sounds are shut off.

Yep,  That's probably what did it!! Thanks.

Jeff said:
Tom:

You mentioned the joystick for moving the cursor. The screen is a touch screen that allows you to tap to relocate the cursor doesn't it?

Jeff, my experience with the Omnia touch screen is that my finger is too wide to locate the insertion point properly. I use the mouse pointer or my finger nail. The most effective way is via the stylus -- but that is also the slowest way of data entry.

Unfortunately, my keyboards do not have Cursor Keys - which would allow finger touch entry, then a quick adjustment if off a character or two.

Ned, does the Droid have cursor keys?

Back
Top Bottom