Android platform phones

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The slideout keyboard does, but not the onscreen.

[quote author=Tom].... I'm awaiting the 2.0 update from HTC.[/quote]

I emailed HTC and they say they're waiting for the word from Verizon. Verizon is saying they're waiting for HTC.

This is one of those times when I wish the two people were standing in front of me so I could bang heads together.

Just a heads up on the Motorola Droid!  This phone does NOT allow for tethering, and won't until sometime in 2010 possibly according to Verizon!!  :eek:

For those that don't know what tethering is, it is a FEATURE (not a plan) that allows you to "tether" your phone as a modem to your computer for $30/month with no 2 year commitment.  You can start/stop this FEATURE anytime during the month at no cost. (On the other hand, If you use an aircard for your Broadband access, this is a "PLAN", and it costs $60/month with no start/stop, and it comes with a 2-year commitment.)  You can see the immense value in tethering vs. aircards.

This will definately knock this phone out of the running in a couple of months when my NE2 is here!!!!!  Looks more and more like the new Blackberry code name "Essex" (the Tour replacement) will still lead the running when it is time for me to upgrade.

FrontrangeRVer said:
Just a heads up on the Motorola Droid!  This phone does NOT allow for tethering, and won't until sometime in 2010 possibly according to Verizon!!  :eek:

Oh, excuse me but, my Motorola Droid tethers very nicely.  VZ Access Manager from Verizon will not be available until 2010 but, third party software works great right now.

Phil

Tethering wasn't even on my list of desired features when I considered the smart phones.  With all the capabilities of the Droid, I have no need for tethering.  But, in case I should, ;) what software are you using, Phil?

rhmahoney said:
My only quibble is with the tiny space allotted for apps...256 meg. I have over 30 apps on my iPhone+ the 12 built in ones. The reviewers say that 2 big apps can fill a droid up.

What?  Mine came with a 16GB SD card and I have been able to find and install 75% of my favorite iPhone apps w/o problems.  I have an iPhone for work and a Droid for personal use - I run SpeedTest periodically and the Verizon network has crushed AT&T (even in 3G areas) every single time.

Ned:

Phil and I used PDANET software to tether our Palms for several years and I would guess he is using their beta for the Droid.

Ned said:
Tethering wasn't even on my list of desired features when I considered the smart phones.  With all the capabilities of the Droid, I have no need for tethering.  But, in case I should, ;) what software are you using, Phil?

I use PDANet now.  I hope to receive a trial version of VZAccess before the end of the year.

Tethering is great for those times that you are camped under a tree and the dish is blocked.  ;D

Phil

Shade is overrated.  We'll park anywhere that we can see 127W :)

I like shade, and it doesn't bother either of my air cards  ;)  Having experienced good T-mobile coverage across the US and the Maritimes (expensive), I'm looking forward to even better coverage with the VZW air card, even under a shade tree.

Ned said:

Ned, I really didn't have you specifically in mind when I posted about the tethering issue with the Droid....It was about others who might be interested in this issue.   ;)

But tethering is possible, and others might be interested in knowing that :)

Well Ned...glad you are interested in tethering!   Maybe you should add that to your list next time!   ;)

For the other members here who are interested in tethering the Droid, Verizon does not support tethering the Droid....yet. For now, you can use third party applications to get around this (like PDAnet).  Verizon will support tethering sometime in 2010....

HERE is a good link about tethering the Droid, and this forum looks like a good place for info about the Motorola Droid.   :)

Daniel Eran Dilger writing in the 4th article on iPhone vs Android as platforms at http://test.roughlydrafted.com/ states that the Droid app space is 200 megs of built in memory. It can hold lots of useful apps, but games tend to be huge and some are larger than 200 meg. The SD cards hold music, photos, and data. Article goes into details of the differing design philosophies.

article title:
Inside Google?s Android and Apple?s iPhone OS as software markets

Russ:

The way you are researching the Droid you must be thinking about dumping your IPods. ;D ;D

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cory5999
Back
Top Bottom