Brands of TT from top to bottom

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wynn

Ok< Ihope I am not opening up too big a can of worms here.  Manufactures of TT whose the top name brand and who do you think stinks on ice. :'(
I really would like to hear what the experts out there have to say about  this.
Thanks in Advance!

That is a bit of a loaded question. What if I tell you that 'Blue Widget' makes junk trailers, and four other members here have them. I wouldn't want to insult anyone.  That and quality can sometimes be an opinion.

Even then, each manufacturer has different models. Ford used to make Pinto's, and they also made Lincoln Continentals at the same time. So 'best' could be very subjective. I've been shopping real hard lately, looked at quite a few and after seeing so many it's getting easier to spot the difference in quality really quick. I'd suggest going out and start looking at a few of them.

Roadmac has the right of it. Size & budget will enter into the equation too.

In general, you will get better materials and construction as the price goes up. But sometimes a more expensive model from a broad line manufacturer is just the low end model gussied up and shares the basic construction and workmanship with its lower-priced siblings.  My preference would be a manufacturer who has no low end priced models. That way  the overall standards of construction and materials will be higher.  Most of these will be fifth wheels, however. For  a higher end TT, I would look at Holiday Rambler Alumalite & Presidential, Arctic Fox/Nash, maybe a Heartland North Country, Northtrail or Cedar Ridge (relatively new in the TT market), or an Airstream (if you like that style).

But the big trailer manufacturers like K-Z, Forest River and Thor Industries have some nice high end models too.

I think that it's difficult to find a truly high quality manufacturer in the RV industry.  Build quality, materials, and engineering are not what we would like to see, even at the purported high end.  I believe this is true of both MHs and TTs.

Matters are complicated further by the fact that some of the largest manufacturers produce a dozen or more brands from the same production line and it's unclear how much the standards change.  Quality isn't something you can turn on and off and if you have people with the background, training, and attitude to produce quality it's not as though you can cut their wages for four weeks while they make the cheezy trailers.

As you compare TTs, I would suggest that you mainly consider:
* Roof material.
* Exterior wall material.
* Frame material.
* Number, size, location, and operability of windows.
* Materials, workmanship, and extent of interior cabinetry. (You can spend $20,000 on kitchen cabinets for a stick house and a few TTs are built to similar standards)
* Materials and workmanship of furniture (do the mattresses have inner springs?  Leather or vinyl?  Nylon or polyester?
* Material choice for floors and interior walls.  Fiberboard and OSB bad, plywood better, plywood with a larger number of thinner plies, best
* Presence of expensive components like larger fridges, second A/C, power jacks and levelers, electronics, awnings, larger brakes and axles than minimally necessary, detachable shore power cable, aluminum LPG tanks, spare tire, kitchen vent fan that actually vents, extra batteries, double pane windows, extra folding tables or chairs, fantastic fan, microwave

Consider that length by itself doesn't cost much.  To add 4' of space with no appliances, cabinets, furniture is trivially inexpensive even with carpeting, slightly heavier axles, and a few more furnace BTUs.

The first thing I see when I look at a $17,000 trailer is not nearly enough windows.  The second thing I see is kitchen cabinets made of MDF covered with a woodgrain decal.  Mechanically (fridge, stove, freshwater system, wastewater system, running gear) there isn't any difference between that trailer and the $30,000 one, and realistically the design and build quality won't be much different.  More windows, aluminum structural components in the walls and roof, and better exterior materials will be the main difference with maybe a little better cabinetry and more doodads.

I am just finishing cleaning up my 1993 Alpenlite.  In going over the trailer I am very impressed with the quality of the build, including areas not seen but still carefully done such as compartments, compartment door, windows, sealing the underside of the trailer, in general no skimping.outside
I have been in many of my friends trailers and most of them don't compare well.

Incidentally I made a great discovery.  I used oxyclean to clean the outside and the oxidation came right off

Jammer said:
I think that it's difficult to find a truly high quality manufacturer in the RV industry.  Build quality, materials, and engineering are not what we would like to see, even at the purported high end.  I believe this is true of both MHs and TTs.
Prevost is pretty good.

[quote author=seilerbird]Prevost is pretty good.[/quote]

For clarification, Prevost (based in Quebec, CN) makes bus shells that are sold to various bus conversion companies, such as Marathon Coach, who turn them into beautiful RVs. Completed RVs from the various bus conversion companies are generically referred to as "Prevost".

A visit to the Marathon Coach factory in Coburg, OR is quite enlightening.

Thank you all for your help and insight on this issue.  I think I knew from the start that there was no clear answer.  But I figures that there were at least a few brands out there that generally flopped big time.  Oh well I will keep on reading and learning as I go. Time is on my side.  Thanks again. :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pao
Back
Top Bottom