New inverter hookup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jhinson

I just ordered a new 1200/1400 watt inverter, my MH has 2 6 cell house batteries wired in series. Do I just hook up the inverter post POS.,NEG comming from the batteries to MH. Will this hurt the DC charger for the batteries? I plan on wiring directly to the batteries then running AC to the front TV and on ac to the rear AC.

Thanks

Your description of your battery bank is a bit confusing....

A '6 cell' battery would be a 12 volt battery (each cell is about 2 volts) - and the two 12 volt batteries would then be connected in PARALLEL to keep the voltage at 12 volts....

However, if you meant to say; 2 6 'VOLT' house batteries wired in SERIES, you would be correct -

The most efficient way to hook up the inverter would be directly to the battery bank - make sure one lead is fused for protection - and you use heavy enough cables for the intended loads, probably #4 gauge stranded battery cable if the 'run' is short........good luck.

Ray

You can't put the inverter in the same compartment as the batteries unless the batteries are enclosed and vented on their own to the outside air.  Batteries produce sulfuric acid mist and potentially explosive hydrogen and oxygen gasses.  The sulfuric acid is what causes the corrosion on the battery connections and you really don't want that happening inside your inverter.

So unless your batteries are in their own sealed and vented boxes, you're really looking at putting the inverter in a compartment adjacent to the batteries, with a wall between them to keep the battery gasses away from the inverter.

Running two TVs won't push the inverter to anywhere near it's full capacity - but you might if you decide to use it to run the microwave or something like a plug-in electric drill.  At full output, your inverter can draw over 100 amps from the batteries - or about as much current as the main engine starter motor - and the wires connecting it to the inverter should be sized to handle that much current.

You also need a catastrophe fuse in one of the battery leads to break the circuit if there's ever a short circuit in the inverter or elsewhere.  The fuse should be located close to the batteries, in any case before the cable leaves the battery compartment, because a fuse only protects against something happening beyond it.  Since the inverter can draw an absolute maximum of about 150 amps, a 200 amp ANL fuse and fuseholder would be appropriate.

Can you hook directly to the batteries?  VIA A PROPER FUSE yes, directly no

Can they be in the same compartment.. No, the one next to it.

Suggestion.. The two cables that run from the Inverter negative to the battery negative and inverter positive to the fuse.. Tape them side by side or run 'em through a split loom (that plastic wrapping) so they lie next to each other as close as insulation permits.

NOTE: Inverters come in 2x2 types.. I assume in your case it is a "Stand-alone" (As opposed to inline)

The next type is True Sine Wave / MSW  Some Televisions, Sat receivers, Digital converters, Audio systems (including most all AM radios) do not much like some MSW inverters.

Others... (Either different models of electronics or different inverters) work fine.

WOW a lot of great information, you all have answered my questions for sure. Now when the flood waters go down I may be able to get this installed.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
critter2214
Back
Top Bottom