Gunk Remover

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Let’s Roll

IMG_6182.jpegIMG_6212.jpegIMG_6197.jpegI have some “gunk” stains on the outside of our rig that are looking not so nice. The first pic is a fuel stain where I had some over flow. I wiped it up with water and dried it but it has stained. The other pic is a leftover registration sticker and the last is just dirt on the caulking. I’m thinking these are adhesive type stains like the one around that access door and the registration sticker. I’m leery of using anything harsh, or should I try the ol toothbrush and vinegar method first.
How about that “Goo Gone” stuff?

Spray WD-40 on a soft cloth and wipe the affected area. WD-40 will remove a lot of "sticky" stuff, oils, diesel fuel stains, road tar, all sorts of stuff. It won't hurt your finish. After cleaning the affected area, use some dishwashing liquid soap and water and wash off the WD-40 residue. Dishwashing liquid soap will dissolve the oily residue.... after all ... it's made to cut grease!

If WD-40 will not work, I'll be surprised.

WD40 is generally a solution seeking a suitable problem but would agree it would be one of the first solvents I'd try, especially on old adhesive. Goo gone can also work well. There are others that are sure to work but can also put a whammy on plastics and paint so you want to start with the less aggressive ones first.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

That sure appears to be silicone sealant, which attracts mold/mildew. The easy removal is mix a few oz bleach into your wash water when washing the RV; or mix a solution of bleach/water in a spray bottle and spritz the mold/mildew areas.
For that big patch area, I agree with the WD40 cleaning, which will not harm the gel-coat.

Just a note for people. Gunk is a brand name cleaner for engine degreaser. Not a good idea for cleaning the RV on the outside but good for cleaning up oil and grease on your engine parts.

I tried the WD-40 route and it worked perfectly! Greatly appreciated. I did rinse it off with soapy water too, so good to go.
I’m thinking that gunk was from some sort of clear adhesive used during the assembly process.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Oldgal
Back
Top Bottom