'99 Pace Arrow 2 Slide or '01 Newmar Mountain aire 1 Slide?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dougage

I am looking for opinions on which of these are the better buy for full-timing.

Single dude, 2 dogs.

Both around $33,000.00 and 30k miles. Both are 37 feet long and both have a Ford 6.8 L V10 Gas Engine.

What say yall?

PS: I'm buying in about 10 days, so lets hear it!

I know nothing about either manufacturer of that vintage.  Do you have pics? Do either have the tag axel?

Possibly gets down to which floor plan you prefer........

Here are some pics.

Neither have the tag.

Attachments

• newmar ext.jpg
    newmar ext.jpg
    278.2 KB · Views: 81
  • PA ext.jpg
    PA ext.jpg
    297.8 KB · Views: 70
Here are the kitchens.

Attachments

• newmar int.jpg
    newmar int.jpg
    576.9 KB · Views: 68
  • PA int.jpg
    PA int.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 53
PA has a oven & also a drivers exit ....... they both look really nice.... have you taken them both on a drive?

No test drives, and I wont be able to prior. So any thoughts on ride, suspension, are especially appreciated.

::)OR, a  2004 HOLIDAY RAMBLER ADMIRAL SE SERIES M-32PBD FORD

13k miles...

Its a little smaller, no w/d, but has connections I think.

I'm going to go look at it tomorrow. Its about 10 miles away from me.

Look hard at the construction of the cabinets and other workmanship items.  Look to see if the the material is real wood, ply or particle board under the veneer, if any.  Look at the fit etc of every thing.

FWIW, the Mountainaire is the top of the Newmar gasers lines.

As has been said, both are good coaches.

you might even be able to go a little newer..... & a little shorter & gain another 1 or 2 slide outs which would give you probably more room when you are parked & also allow you to fit more camping areas.  Those models you listed do look nice..... are they at the same dealership so you can look at them & compare them prior to purchase?

When we were shopping a year ago I wanted to drive different models before singing the papers which is what we did.  I felt a big difference between the models I drove. 

I'm probably pushing toward the Newmar only because we own one now but we did own a Fleetwood product (Bounder) before we had our current rig.  Quality and workmanship between the two I would have to lean to Newmar. This is one first class coach. I saw no wokmanship problems with the Fleetwood product and fit and finish were good. Mountain Aire and Pace Arrow are both at the top of both mfr.s line of gas coaches. I would pick the one that suits your needs as far as the floor plan and go for it. The only thing I would not like about the Pace Arrow is the driver side door but that's just my opinion. As far as the slides, as they say more is usually better  but to say you will need the two slides is hard to call.  As far as the Ford chassis I'm not sure what changes were made between 99 thru 01 only to have read about some problems with the early V-10 engine. There was a HP increase but I don't remember what year that happened. I guess I should mention our Mountain Aire is a 04 and on a Workhorse chassis. I think you mentioned you couldn't drive the rigs before purchase. That would be a hard one for me as I disect everything before I would buy it. Is there someone that can check them over for you?  That's alot of money to plunk down without having the rigs looked at other then pictures. Good Luck with what you decide.

dougage:  Personally, I would NEVER buy a used coach with driving it first.  That's just me.  Look over the fleetwood product closely, as SOME of their older units have had side wall delamination issues, but that is not possible with the Newmar walls due to construction technique used.  Good luck with your choice.  Ed

Sounds like you found 2 good motorhomes and fairly priced. I like my Mountain Aire so I'm kinda partial to them it's a shame the Mountain Aire your looking at doesn't have the drivers door. I know that the quality and workmanship is great in the Mountain Aire. Good luck and let us know which you decide on.                Jim

I am leaning toward the Newmar at this point....went and checked out the Holiday Rambler today, it was a no-go.

Thanks everybody for the input, I will definitely try and get the units checked out prior to sending $$.

One unit is in San Antonio, the other is south florida, so if anyone on here is close by and feels like look, I'l buy ya a beer or three.

The Pace will (hopefully) be delivered today.

I bought it from Fun Motors in San Antonio.

Thanks for the help everybody, beers are on me if our paths cross! ;)

Attachments

• interior.jpg
    interior.jpg
    347.8 KB · Views: 43
Glad you were able to decide on one before somebody else bought them. Either was a good choice and I expect you will be happy. Now to get out and have some fun!

Let us know if we can help with any advice after you get it.

Thanks Gary, I will.

I have yet to figure out how I'm going have internet, so I might not be on here for a while once I depart.

I've heard lots of bad things about Cricket, Verizon caps, dont want satellite, yada yada...I might be having some withdraws here pretty soon. :(

Lots of previous messages in internet access here, so SEARCH around. There are a couple articles in the Library too - I contributed a high level one recently myself.

A lot of people get by on campground wifi, but I like carrying a cellular modem as well. Budget is a key factor. Well, let's save that discussion for another message thread.

Right, a lot of good info out there. As a quasi-IT guy I've absorbed it all with great interest, but its all about the coinage. I'm not terribly worried about it at the moment, my phone is internet-able ::), so at least I will have email, and basic http.

Mr. Pace is due to arrive later today and right now I'm trying to figure what to do with all my stuff that wont fit in there.  :-\

Back
Top Bottom