How to know someone does not want to be photographed.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bob Buchanan

Some subjects of candid shots do not want to be photographed. Most will just cover there faces to let you know, and others are more outward. I came across THIS IMAGE on Flickr.com by a pro photographer currently in Japan.

To see more of his work, click his flickr name, Sushicam, to the upper right of the image.

utahclaimjumper said:
She seems to be indicating her age.>>>Dan

Hardly, she's merely indicating her right NOT to be photographed.  If you take a camera to some individuals you've entered their world without an invite and deserve whatever befalls you.

Personally I think the finger was Photoshopped in. The proportions don't look correct.

I do not want my name and photo published anywhere on the Internet.  I answer lots of questions in newsgroups and forums.  I've now had four deranged individuals who have done some very ugly things in my direction including death threats.  One individual has been arrested and pleaded guilty to cyber stalking although that was with respect to another individual.  I'm sure I'm on the top of his list now.

I was at a Microsoft event recently and had a special lanyard indicating I didn't want my photo taken even though my name wouldn't have been on any photos.  I happened to see an official photographer pointing his camera in my general direction.  I waved my lanyard and he put down the camera and went elsewhere.

seilerbird said:
Personally I think the finger was Photoshopped in. The proportions don't look correct.

I agree....I use photoshop all the time, and the proportions look off, even though the facial expression matches it.  Great photo either way though.

Tony,, when you display your face in public it becomes public property,,like it or not. You must be a real piece of work if your getting death threats.>>>Dan

I will take your camera and either remove the film without rewinding or re-format the memory card.

Just so you know.  I do not like having my picture taken.

[quote author=seilerbird]Personally I think the finger was Photoshopped in.[/quote]

I have to agree with Tom, and I suspected so from my first viewing of the photo. Having made numerous trips to Japan over the course of 35+ years, I can say with certainty that the Japanese people will go out of their (way) not to offend anyone. There is no way that a Japanese female would show this kind of contempt for the photographer. A female in Japan is very much subservient to any male there. "A finger" also means different things in different cultures, and "a finger" does not compute in Japanese.

Also, as Tom quite astutely noticed, the proportions are incorrect.

Remember what we've said here for many years - don't believe everything you see on the internet!
Edit: Fixed typo.

Yep, Japanese girls generally don't have real long fingers. The skin tone is all wrong compared to the face and the exif data is not present in the photograph. And Tom is correct. Japanese people would rather die than offend someone.

However it is still a very funny photograph.

Apologies Tom, I was editing my message as you were posting, so you might not have seen the final version. It doesn't change anything you wrote.

No need to apologize Tom, we are in complete agreement.

That photo reminds me of a Photoshopped photo of my good friend Eric.

Attachments

• Eric's finger.jpg
    Eric's finger.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 87
Tom we may both be wrong. The photo could be real. I read all the comments under the photo and the photographer finally had to admit it was his girlfriend and the shot was a set up.

"No, she is not a real Maiko.
This is Saori, my girlfriend dressed up as a Maiko during our last trip to Kyoto.
I thought it would be a funny shot to capture what a lot of real Maiko and Geiko would probably like to do to the more intrusive and aggressive photographers (both Japanese as well as foreigners) that accost them from time to time as they are trying to get to their next engagement."

So it is a hoax, just a different kind. It is still a classic.

.... and the photographer finally had to admit it was his girlfriend and the shot was a set up.

That was my other option (the gal looked a little tall for a Japanese female). So, neither of us was "wrong". The picture is a fake, and some folks were duped into believing it was for real. Shame on the so-called photographer!

I have a picture here somewhere (in print) of a group of Japanese girls that I took at the lantern festival in Kyoto some years ago. I need to search my print archives.

Do not believe everything you see on the internet!

[quote author=Tom]I have a picture here somewhere (in print) of a group of Japanese girls that I took at the lantern festival in Kyoto some years ago.[/quote]

That would be the Gion festival (Google finds lots of info on this festival). Haven't found the print picture yet  :(

utahclaimjumper said:
Tony,, when you display your face in public it becomes public property,,like it or not. You must be a real piece of work if your getting death threats.>>>Dan
My understanding is that for someone to publish your photo they must have a signed release form.  Of course on Facebook this rule is ignored completely but then most folks are publishing to friends and family so they don't mind.  I do mind.  My family and friends are all well aware of my "quirk".

As far as being a piece of work I'll take that as a compliment.  I have at least many thousands of postings in newsgroups and forums.    I will also gently correct folks who give out bad technical information in postings.  As much as I would like to I do not mock or ridicule them.    However a few folks are mentally deranged and don't like folks disagreeing with them.  I'm also not the only person in the newsgroups/forums who disagrees with the mentally deranged individuals.  Indeed these last few years the one individual who still posts stuff usually gets at least three or five other individuals disagreeing with him.

Back
Top Bottom