How to know someone does not want to be photographed.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Tom said:
Some trivia .... the "food" she's looking at is probably plastic models of what's on the menu, a common practice at Japanese eateries. When I'd spend a week or two in Tokyo or Kyoto, I was usually alone (sans a translator) on weekends, and liked to get out in the boonies. Unfortunately, English is virtually non-existent and, without those plastic models in the window, I'd have gone hungry. All I had to do was motion to the waitress to come outside, and I'd point at what I wanted to eat among the display in the front window.
There is a joke in there somewhere, but I don't want to be banned for life from the forum ;D

Tom,

We need you stick around, so please don't get yourself banned  ;D

AndyinLexington said:
Just a curiosity question for the photographers in the group - Why wouldn't you just ask someone if they would mind being photographed?

Andy,

One reason I see is many candid shots would be ruined because the subject would know they were being photographed and "pose" rather than remain natural. Publishing such photographs, in my opinion, requires consent of the subject.

seilerbird said:
I did just that yesterday and got a great photo. I never attempt to photograph a person without their permission if the person is going to be the subject of the photograph. But I never worry about the people in the background, they never notice that their photo has been taken.

Tom, Tom, Tom!  That IS a great picture!

A few years back we spent the winter at Outdoor Resorts in Indio, Ca.  Before Facebook we used Youtube to stay in touch with friends and family.  The resort was truly a Disneyland for adults.... very well to do adults.  We took a tour of the neighborhood twice per day when we walked our dogs and always carried our camera and took a lot of pictures of the incredibly developed RV sites, the coaches and the wide range of toys stacked up around them.  We ended up putting them together in a slide show on Youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0cIUGeBKGs0

But the moral of the story is that some people can even be very sensitive about having their STUFF photographed!  We had a lady come charging out of her coach and confront us after we had taken a photo of it.  She asked just what we thought we were doing.  I told her we were staying there for the first time and recording memories.  I struck me as ironic that someone would go to great lengths to say "look at me"... and then take offense when someone admires and photographs it.  ???

Rick

Thanks Rick. I should mention that I carry a pocket full of my business cards every where I go. When I do photograph a person, or someones dog, I always give them my card. I explain I am no longer a professional photographer and I will not be selling their image. I also tell them that if they send me an email I will gladly send them a copy of the image. And what I tell every one I give a card to is that my web site is not a commercial site and I have nothing there for sale nor do I collect any information and there is no logging in. I let them know it is a Google site and all they can do there is look at pretty pictures. I hand out about a dozen cards per day. Usually when I am carrying my 200-500 lens around I get stopped quiet often with questions about what kind of lens I have. I did give Melissa, the girl in the photo a card and she emailed me that evening so I sent her the photo.

This thread has reminded me of a situation that happened about 5 years ago. I was at the Flaming Gorge Recreational Area on the 4th of July weekend camping in a free spot down by the lake. There was a dog that was playing frisbee with his owner and doing some great leaps out of the water. I was sitting on the shore photographing the dog when some muscle bound idiot comes up to me and demands "Are you photographing my kids?" Well the fact was his kids were playing near the dog and they were included in a few of the shots down at the bottom. I only had a 70-200 zoom at the time and I had planned on cropping them out since they distracted from the dog. I told him no, I was photographing the dog. I brought one of the images up on my LCD and zoomed in to eliminate the kids from what I showed him. He seemed content and walked away. But I learned never to photograph kids without talking to the parents first.

Attachments

• Jumping dog.jpg
    Jumping dog.jpg
    233.8 KB · Views: 53
Hey Orick

You were keeping some  mighty fine company there in Outdoor Resorts.  Which rig and set up was yours?  Gives a whole new meaning to concrete slab doesn't it?

Betty Brewer said:
Hey Orick

You were keeping some  mighty fine company there in Outdoor Resorts.  Which rig and set up was yours?  Gives a whole new meaning to concrete slab doesn't it?

Hey Betty... Yep, those folks knew how to spruce up a "campsite" alright.  I was surprised, when watching the slide show again, that I didn't include any pics of the boat docks (every site had one) and the pools/spas.... many sites had them.  My coach is only pictured in the background of a couple of other shots.  We had a brand new DP at the time and felt like an ugly duckling!

Rick

John From Detroit said:
I will take your camera and either remove the film without rewinding or re-format the memory card.

Just so you know.  I do not like having my picture taken.

I'm thinking this is a really good way to end up with a lawsuit or a possible beating. You have no right to touch the photographers camera. Also my doing either of the above mentioned actions you not only erase the photo of you but everything on that roll or card. There may have been some photos on there that the photographer is getting paid good money for. I my opinion you then become liable for that money. Like some folks have said if you are at a public place,a public event, or even a private event with a hired photographer they have the right to photograph you. As long as the photo is being used "editorially" then no release is needed.

Luca1369 said:
If you take a camera to some individuals you've entered their world without an invite and deserve whatever befalls you.
But your not suppose to get caught!!!  Spent many years as a covert surveillance photographer for the military :-X.  Only person to ever give me the finger was a friendly intelligence agent of the USSA who know I had him.  Still trying to figure out what he was distracting me from seeing  ::)?

mike eddleman said:
In Vietnam I was with the 9th Marines and was involved in the evacuation of Saigon.
Mike, we have some mutual friends. 
This Army guy went through the Marine Corps Air, Ground, Sea Intelligence Man School at the  Navy Amphibious Base Little Creek back in '76 or '77.  Some of the instructors there were with you during the evacuation.  Thank you for your service!
Pat Cleveland
Nam '68/69

Bob Buchanan said:
That is not generally true, Tony. It mostly depends upon the "intended use" of the photo -- and also, the country in which the photo was taken. To publish is different than to use commercially. However, if you are in a public place in the US, you have no right to privacy as to who can take a photo of you. A general rule that a photographer should follow is that if asked "not" to take the photo, the photographer should oblige that request and if the photo has already been taken, should delete the photo. However, they "can" legally take the photo and do not have to delete it.

As a photographer, I can use any photo to advertise my work that I have taken of people in public or with permission in private without a release. I cannot sell a print commercially without a release from the person or model. However, it is my understanding that if a candid photo is taken in a public place, I can sell the photo without a release. I have never done that though and if I did, would consult with an attorney first to make sure.
There are always exceptions.  I was photographing the crews putting together a local festival in a public park. It wasn't obvious, but the set up was being done by prisoners from the local jail, and a supervisor asked me to stop.  I discovered that in NY it is illegal to photograph prisoners on a work detail.

I agree with Loser77. I had a guy threaten to do just that at a benefit dinner in a local pub, he was not taking part in the festivities. In a lighthearted manner I asked him why, you not supposed to be here? Then walked away. ;D
It is not the first time I have been confronted but I am always careful not to focus on one individual without their permission.

Back
Top Bottom