A Day in the Park

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jim Dick

Moderator Emeritus
Sunday was another day to play in the park at Yellowstone. I went with friends on an early morning (0430) trip to Trout Lake to see if we could find the Otters. Unfortunately, it was too early for them to come out and play. The hike up to the lake is short but very steep and I had to stop three times to catch my breath. ;D

After walking around the lake we decided to move on and see what else we could find. The animals were scarce though we had encountered a huge herd of Bison on the way through the Lamar Valley. They were crossing the road at their own leisure. Too early to get good photos of them. We stopped at Soda Butte to photograph some swallows. We were having a great time when a Bison decided she wanted to feed next to our location. We quickly got out of her way. Then we had to hop into the back of DJ's pickup to avoid a huge bull that was headed our way. The small group finally meandered farther into the meadow so we could continue photographing.

Leaving the Lamar Valley we came upon a sign post that had a Northern Flicker living inside. The nest was built directly to the left of an arrow which seemed to mark its location. ;D

Later we drove over Washburn Mt. where the flowers are starting to bloom even though there is still snow near the top. A run to the north end of Yellowstone Lake astonished us as the water level is extremely high and the Yellowstone River is over it's banks. A picnic area is partially flooded.

Attached are some photos of the day.

Attachments

• Morning at Trout Lake.jpg
    Morning at Trout Lake.jpg
    152.9 KB · Views: 80
  • Swallows Returning Home.jpg
    Swallows Returning Home.jpg
    142.9 KB · Views: 67
  • Why are you here?.jpg
    Why are you here?.jpg
    149.8 KB · Views: 73
  • Bison Bull.jpg
    Bison Bull.jpg
    175.4 KB · Views: 63
  • Northern Flicker.jpg
    Northern Flicker.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 84
  • Silky Phacelia.jpg
    Silky Phacelia.jpg
    172 KB · Views: 58
  • Yellowstone River.jpg
    Yellowstone River.jpg
    134.1 KB · Views: 80
Beautiful photos Jim. I am proud of you that you can tell the difference between a bull and a cow Bison. Most people can't do that.

Here is one I'm having trouble with from our recent YS trip.  What do you think Jim?  Is the big one a bull or a cow?

Attachments

• DSC_3533 (2).JPG
    DSC_3533 (2).JPG
    85.9 KB · Views: 75
I'm pretty sure about the big one.  How about the calf, bull or cow?

This morning I got to go.  Left at a saner hour, and in Lamar saw and photographed my first badger.  We werealso in search of the otters, but not to be.  Here is one of the shots, getting others ready, but a den with Mama and 4 young, they grow fast and fat.  This is one of the babes. 

Attachments

• 20110717-IMG_7888.jpg
    20110717-IMG_7888.jpg
    168.3 KB · Views: 58
Here is most of the family.  There were 4 cubs, 3 ran out to greet the Mom when she arrived home.  The 4th joined up pretty quick.

Attachments

• 20110717-IMG_8145.jpg
    20110717-IMG_8145.jpg
    139.7 KB · Views: 54
The Pelicanlady and I had a good day in the Park, too, and on the Chief Joseph Scenic Byway, and in Cody and .......back home safely.

We lucked onto this small Black Bear (pic 1) near the Yellowstone Picnic area just east of Tower Junction.  Bears are getting harder to spot as the snow has mostly melted, letting them get higher on the mountains and away from the roads.

And, of course, The Pelicanlady found her favorites on the Cody Reservoir (pic 2).

But our favorite was scoring the elusive Wild Bill's Westie in the parking lot at the Trout Lake trail head! (pic 3) ;D

Attachments

• Black Bear 3 sm.jpg
    Black Bear 3 sm.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 40
  • White Pellies sm.jpg
    White Pellies sm.jpg
    132.7 KB · Views: 48
  • Bill's Westie.jpg
    Bill's Westie.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 46
Great day in the park fr sure, and returning to the Westy from Trout Lake and seeing the note, made it even better.  Popped it open for venting, Koda was hanging there, well watered, fed and cooled.  Didn't see any bears today though.  Too bad you missed the badgers, just a cuple miles back from where you saw my van.

Attachments

• 20110717-IMG_7922.jpg
    20110717-IMG_7922.jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 32
Although I lived most of my life in the Badger state, I have never seen one in the wild.  Thanks for the photos, Bill.

Bill,

We took Cody to Cooke City on Saturday. Didn't see the badgers out so kept going. We did spot two Black Bears, a Grizzly, lots of Bison, and a small group of Big Horns. Attached are the photos of the Big Horn and Black Bear Cody took with my 400mm from the truck window! Also the ones I took of the family of Big Horns.

Yesterday Cody and I did the Mystic Falls trail. Went the lower route and then came back over the ridge. Much easier than the opposite direction!!!! :D

Attachments

• Black Bear-1.jpg
    Black Bear-1.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 31
  • Bighorn Ram-1.jpg
    Bighorn Ram-1.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 32
  • Big Horn Family-1.jpg
    Big Horn Family-1.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 33
  • Big Horn Lamb-1.jpg
    Big Horn Lamb-1.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 30
Another day in the park. On our way to West Yellowstone for some shopping I spotted a group of Bison that were close to the road. It was a cold morning and had snowed a little the night before. The Bison were covered with a thin layer of frost caused by the steam from the hot springs. I took this shot of the bull watching me from across the drive.

On our way back, we spotted a Coyote hunting for an evening meal. I took 165 photos of his attempts to catch something. He wasn't successful while we were there. ;D I was fortunate to catch him airborne during one of his attempts.

Attachments

• Fog & Bison.JPG
    Fog & Bison.JPG
    122.6 KB · Views: 50
  • Handsome Coyote.JPG
    Handsome Coyote.JPG
    157.5 KB · Views: 49
  • On the Hunt.JPG
    On the Hunt.JPG
    219.9 KB · Views: 50
  • Coyote Attack.JPG
    Coyote Attack.JPG
    158.8 KB · Views: 65
Good shots, Jim.  Thanks for sharing!

Can't say "Wish we were there" ;) :D, but we can say "Wish you were here"!!

From Georgia Veterans State Park and the SE Halloween Rally......

Jim,

Great photo of the coyote particularly the one of it jumping in the air.  The intensity and focus in the coyote's eyes tells it all.

I love to watch coyotes or fox hunting.  They jump in the air continuously in an attempt to get a mole, mouse, rabbit, etc., to become frightened and bolt from their hiding place.  Once, while hunting in Texas I saw a coyote jump a 6' snake and the battle that ensued was very entertaining.  The snake lost!

Great photos, Jim, and thank you for naming them with meaningful descriptions.  I really don't like photos that are named IMG...  I also like your watermark.

Great shots Jim.  Thanks for sharing.  We are still hoping to see you on your way east.

Back
Top Bottom