Your thought on the need for diesel fuel additives

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rscholtes

We have a Vectra with a Cummins 425hp and it is sitting for a long time.  The diesel generator is acting up and we wondered if we need to add some additives in the fuel tank?  What type?

Perhaps a little late but... These additives are usually added before storing, especially in diesel fuel but it won't do any harm. to add now. Try some Seafoam in the fuel, change the filters and run the engine. Diesel fuel can develop a kind of algae in the tank which is difficult to remove once started. It will plug filters quickly. Good idea to have several spare filters available if algae has developed.

I have never found the need for any additives, and the engine manufacturers don't recommend any.  If you're going to be parked for an extended period, be sure to keep a full tank to avoid water condensing in the tank.  The one exception to the no additives rule is if you did get some water in the fuel and developed some algae growth, then a biocide can be used.  But you'll also have to change the fuel filters quite soon as the dead biomass will clog them.

If the problem is just with the generator and not your Cummins, then it isn't a fuel problem.

How is the generator "acting up"?  Have you been exercising the generator regularly? They don't like to sit unused - they get moisture inside.

The only additive I have ever used is an anti-algae ingredient I use when the coach is going to sit for extended periods in a humid environment (our home base is in Florida). I also make sure the tank is full to reduce condensation.

rscholtes said:
We have a Vectra with a Cummins 425hp and it is sitting for a long time.  The diesel generator is acting up and we wondered if we need to add some additives in the fuel tank?  What type?

Despite comments to contrary - there is no algae in diesel fuel since algae requires light to grow. However, microbes (microorganisms) can live and multipile at the fuel/water (if any) interface. I would first run generator under a very heavy load ( all air conditioners, microwave, etc) for a relatively long time to see if it clears. 

blueblood said:
Despite comments to contrary - there is no algae in diesel fuel since algae requires light to grow. However, microbes (microorganisms) can live and multipile at the fuel/water (if any) interface. I would first run generator under a very heavy load ( all air conditioners, microwave, etc) for a relatively long time to see if it clears.

That's funny, what did I spend days taking out of my boats diesel tank then?? It cost me at least two flushes and  at least 5 filters until that "non algae" stopped plugging them up.

As long as you buy good clean fuel there should never be anything else you need to add. Always try to get #1 disel in winter and #2 is good for summmer.

Alfa38User said:
That's funny, what did I spend days taking out of my boats diesel tank then?? It cost me at least two flushes and  at least 5 filters until that "non algae" stopped plugging them up.

As I noted microbes can form colonies at the fuel/water interface. These colonies can have parts break off and clog filters. You need a biocide to kill these instead of an algaecide ( as used in swimming pools, etc) for same reason.

kevin said:
I would be using a lub additive to keep the injectors working correctly.

No  longer necessary - the ASTM refinery standard  for ULSD fuel covers this issue. To manage the change to ULSD , the American Society for Testing and Materials (ASTM) adopted the lubricity specification defined in ASTM D975 for all diesel fuels. The standard went into effect January 1, 2005. There was no such standard prior to ULSD because the presence of sulfur created byproducts that provide sufficient lubricity i.e. sulfur per se does not do so, it is what its presence caused to be created.

I  would like to add one more thought to this discussion. Us old timers remember being admonished to keep our gas tanks, full especially in winter, to avoid problems with sweating causing water formation in gas tank. This concern was minimized when the gas system in autos was closed thus preventing air entering fuel tanks. I left my affiliation with Cummins in 2009 so haven't kept up to date as much as I was up till that time. I however am pretty sure that diesel vehicles have come under the same EPA restrictions preventing tanks to vent to atmosphere in last few years. Thus, the same benefit should occur in late model rigs i.e. minimal water formation, if any, thus cutting off the component need by microbes to thrive. 

say what you want about not needed a lube for the fuel, but my neighbor has 3 trucks, and ever since they went to lsd fuel, he started going thru injectors, and pumps. His mech told him to start putting a lub additive in, and guess what he isn't replacing injectors, and pumps anymore.  So with that said, power source and there are many others out there are just a cheap insurance policy for me.

kevin said:
say what you want about not needed a lube for the fuel, but my neighbor has 3 trucks, and ever since they went to lsd fuel, he started going thru injectors, and pumps. His mech told him to start putting a lub additive in, and guess what he isn't replacing injectors, and pumps anymore.  So with that said, power source and there are many others out there are just a cheap insurance policy for me.

These stories come up from time to time but stand in stark contrast to the literally millions of engines being produced by Cummins et al that do not report problems and for which the manufacturer is exposed to years of warranty coverage and still do not recommend additives. However, the bottom line is whatever allows one to sleep well is the right course IMO.

Stories do come up about additives especially on the internet but personal experience says otherwise.  We go through about 14k gallons of diesel fuel for 45 OTR trucks and approx. 30 refrigerated trailer units and we don't add any additives to the fuel.  We do not experience any more or less injector pump/injector issues than those who use additives.

Our newer trucks have Cummins and Mercedes Benz engines and they do not recommend any additives from the manufacturer.  Mike.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoadSage
Back
Top Bottom