New Orleans for Christmas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Blue Road Blogger

Any recommendations for where to stay?  We searched a few older posts and see KOA West was rather bad.  Is that still the case?

We want to stay where they have access to shuttles to downtown and the tours.  We are doing the walking tour with a cemetary, the Christmas Eve fires on the levees, the riverboat on the 26, and traveling the trolley cars all over..

Also we read the Tabasco factory was a great activity.  What else is a MUST see.?

We wil be in New Orleans from December 20 through the 27 (or longer if we don't see enough)

Tim and Mary

The French Quarter RV Park right off I-10 and a couple of blocks from the French Quarter with shuttle service. You can look down on it going west on I-10. Get off on exit 235-A and it is within a block or two. Very nice clean park but no trees, which you will not need in December. A little expensive but the location is perfect. I live in the Quarter and sometimes keep my RV there for a few days to pack.

I am not sure how much you are willing to sacrifice to be "in" NOLA, but we stay in Livingston, LA (east of Baton Rouge off I-12) at Lakeside RV Park when visiting our daughter in Baton Rouge. Many people in the area commute back and forth between BTR and NOLA and you can see that in the traffic patterns. It takes a little over an hour get to town either on I-55 or coming over the bridge from Mandeville.

Not everyone likes that kind of "commute" to their destination, but we have learned that many times, we get a far better selection and rate by moving out a little bit from that destination. Sometimes it ends up being six of one, half dozen of the other, money wise, but those are your choices to make; nobody is right or wrong.

We actually were planning a week in NOLA around Christmas at the French Quarter, but cannot decide if we want to heft those prices, especially since they upcharge Dec 24 and Dec 25. I think my bride would rather invest that money in a shopping spree there than park fees... ;D

I thought about the Baton Rouge area.  We drive a 2500 series long bed and my wife thinks parking will be an issue, she has been to NOLA several times--most recently in the late 1990s.  By staying in NOLA, we would have access to shuttles and leave the beast at the campground.

We always find parking an issue in NOLA, even with the Honda, but there are a number of public parking facilities scattered across downtown, and then access to the surface transportation. The last time, we found a good spot just across from the Cathedral on the levee, and I remember all manner of vehicles in there.

We have an issue with walking great distances on hard pavement so we can appreciate you wanting to find something convenient. I am sure one of the secrets is getting in early.

I found a good map of the public parking once on the Internet when I was looking to get between the D-Day Museum and the French Quarter but cannot find it right this minute. In fact, it might have been on the D-Day site.

Baton Rouge is quite a distance from NO and not too exciting a drive. There are a number of nice parks across the lake in St. Tammany Parish. We have stayed frequently at Fairview State Park on the Tchefuncte River in Madisonville. Beautiful park, very spacious sites in the front area, all in pine trees, and just across the river from the town where there are some very good restaurants, especially Morton just at the foot of the bridge. You are about 45 minutes from downtown NO across the 24 mile Causeway. But, they have no sewer hook-ups.

THANKS for the info.  We hadn't even looked on the other side.  It is worth considering, especially if we can solve the parking of our over-sized Dodge.  Mary has a cousin that lives near NOLA and he might be able to offer suggestions about parking / commuting.

Tim and Mary

I live right in the middle of the Quarter and have parked at many places. I now remember at one place on the corner of Iberville and Dauphine, the first two or three floors have oversize parking and it is valet, so they are probably saved for oversized. I will be returning home Sunday and will get you more information then. It is easy access and you don't have to cross Bourbon. I'll walk down and talk to them and if it works, I'll give you much more detailed information.

Don

We stayed at the Lake Ponch. RV Park  where there is a shuttle. You are packed in like sardines. Next time I want to try the one near the French Quarter even if noisier. You can walk from there during the day. Sounds like a great trip.

Suppose there is no way to avoid the crowds.  We will be making reservations this weekend and it will probably be the Lake Ponchatrain  RV place.  We are anticipating a great time and a fabulous Christmas in the delta!  We are considering a trek int Mississippi to see a few juke joints--Clarksdale and the Crossroads are highly recommeded...

If you like Museums, don't miss the National WWII Museum.  It's very well done.  See the Tom Hanks movie they show in their theater first because it sets the tone for the whole visit.  Also, plan on at least a half day for the visit.

Fontainebleau State Park, situated on the northern edge of Lake Pontchartrain, was where we stayed during February of this year. The sites are nice and big enough to accommodate big rigs; it also comes with power and water hookups. Reservations can be made in advance as well.

The CG is also in close proximity of the Causeway. Finding parking in New Orleans was not a problem to us at all, even with the Mardi Gras season and all.

Mariekie.

Great to hear.  Dod you think we will be able to find a space to park with our 16 foot long 8 foot high pick up?  Do they have open lots?  I wonder if it will fit into a parking structure?  We were able to get into a structure in Savannah, but by inches.

We stayed at Bayou Segnette SP, across the river, but only about 20mins drive. Nice clean park, like many LA S.P.'s - free laundry!
SP is next to the fish market with some of the cheapest shrimp in the country.
Parking was no problem between the Convention Center and the FQ.
Took the TT across Huey P Long Bridge, twice, it is the most amazing bridge, long live Huey P Long (yes I know he is dead already). Small tip for the narrow lanes, just drive down the center of the road, using both lanes, nothing can get past, but you ain't gonna get a scrape. They can't drive much faster than you anyway (from what I remember they are widening the bridge, don't know if it is finished).

I was wondering how you got that TT across the Huey P!! How about that offset in the middle of the bridge....We call it white knuckle bridge!!

I live in Baton Rouge but I am from the New Orleans area.  I just wanted to throw my .02 in to let you know the Huey is still a MESS!!  The construction is crazy.  I don't expect it to be much different around Christmas.  If you look into Bayou Segnette you can cross the Crescent City Connection instead of the Huey, it's a lot closer too.
While you're here make sure you check out Christmas in the Oaks.  It's beautiful!  http://celebrationintheoaks.com/cito10/index.html

Enjoy!!

The parking lot near the WWII Museum we parked in is open and should be no problem for your truck.

Back
Top Bottom