Hard Water in South Florida, Best System to Solve Problem?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bigpemby

We are in South Florida and will be here until April of next year.  I washed the coach and car today and had horrible water spots when everything dried.  Was told by some other people at the park that its common here.  I guess its hard water.  I used to use the cheap inline outdoor filter, but quit a while back.  Would this solve my problem or do I need something more complex.  I don't want to cause problems with my plumbing system.  Been here for 4 weeks already.  Suggestions?

A year ago I traveled through Fl and do the S.W. quite often.  I use a double filter on the inlet (carbon and fiber) and another for potable water.  Sounds like with you being there for quite a while you may want to look at a salt type system.

A filter alone won't do it, you need a water softener.

We use the Mark 8000 SEE IT HERE.

It is an 8000 grain unit and a box of common table salt is used to regenerate it. The cost is $240 and that includes shipping. If the water is hard (20 grains per gallon) it will last us about 30 days before it needs to be regenerated. In AZ where we winter the water is extremely hard (50 grains per gallon) and we have to regenerate it every 14 days. We use about 13 gallons of water each day.

Note that smaller units like the 1500 grain WaterStick will have to be regenerated much more often - every 3 days or so if the water is at 50 grains per gallon.

We have used ours for about three years and it really makes a difference in scale formation in faucets, pipes and shower heats. It also reduces water spots to a minimum - non existantant  in many cases.

Back
Top Bottom