Hauling the spare tire around - Not easy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
John Canfield said:
After carrying a spare tire (not mounted on a wheel) on top of our Jeep Liberty when we went to Alaska and realizing road service was up and down the Alaska Highway, I felt like an idiot.  Couldn't wait to get rid of it when we returned to the lower 48. 

Now my spare tire is a phone call away (and has been for most of our 60k + miles of using the Horizon.)  No cell coverage?  I'll put the Datastorm dish up and make a Skype call from my iPhone  ;) .

The other issue is can you change the tire yourself - at some point the tire size makes it completely unfeasible to change it yourself.  Our Jeep Rubicon has 33" tires in a 305 footprint and I struggle when I have to remove/install a tire.

Another thought - the large tires have a very thick tread and sidewall and are very resistant to punctures.

"From original post."

I thought about leaving it at home with 6 brand new tires, but did not think about it for long.

You thought it was on topic when you posted, and how could it be any more on topic?

John Canfield said:
This is a good discussion and information exchange that highlights the pros and cons of the subject which is one primary reason why people gather in forums.

Bottom line for the thread - whatever works for you is just fine.

Who wrote this?

I've unsuccessfully have been looking for a hitch mounted carrier that does not deem the hitch useless except for carrying the tire.
Seems the easiest way to carry a spare on a MH that was not integrally designed for one would be to buy or build one mounted to the tow hitch.  For a DP hitch the 150/ 200Lb tire may not be significant but it might be for a gasser with a 500Lb tongue weight.  It might not matter if you just pull a light weight trailer or toad though.  They may have attractive spare tire covers for larger tires just like they do for many SUVs that have the tire mounted on the back.
I'm surprised some one does'nt make these specifically for MHs and large tires. It seems with mounting it on the hitch, there should be some ingenious way to design a lever system to make getting the tire on and off the carrier easier.

BTW I used to have a Minnie Winnie but I have a Thor product now.  When I come to this forum, I visit the General, the MH area and the Winnebago section. I think it is fine to have your own area; but I don't believe there are really very many "Winnebago Specific" things, are there?  Also Winne makes many different models so a Horizon probably has more in common with a Providence than a gasser Winne, at least in the topic of how or where to carry a spare tire. 
  Oh well, just a thought.

Mark R. said:
Well I built my spare tire holder, have a look.

This is a great idea, but certainly no every Winne or other MH could not do this. For instance, my MH is just plastic where you have yours mounted.
  Good job for yours though.

Mark R. said:
The only credible negative to carrying a spare that I have read here so far is that it makes some Winnebago drivers feel like idiots, the extra weight issue is a joke, if you are that close to your gross weight, you should carry two spares. 

It took me awhile to "get this" :), but, good point.

I posted this question in the Winnebago section since I have a Winnebago Adventurer and it has no rack for a spare.
I thought other Winnie owners may have a better way.  I did not intend for this to become a "To Be, or NOT to Be" discussion.

I have however gleaned much information from the responses and think the debate has been good.  I am however
Conservative by nature and will likely carry the spare with me somehow unless my travels are strictly or mainly on Interstate
Highways where logically road service should be abundant.  If my route however is on the less traveled roads, I will carry the
spare and my Milwaukee 3/4 electric impact with me.  I can still do the work for now. 

Thank you to everyone who has commented and debated this issue.  As a Newbie, I certainly opened a Can O Worms here. . .

Larry, I just scanned back over the posts in this thread.  I did not find anywhere that indicated whether or not you towed your Jeep, but if you do, maybe the Jeep could tote a spare for you.

Molaker said:
Larry, I just scanned back over the posts in this thread.  I did not find anywhere that indicated whether or not you towed your Jeep, but if you do, maybe the Jeep could tote a spare for you.

Just a note..I carried my spare, 8R19.5F, in my CRV for a short time. Between the spare and my mothers scooter there wasn't a whole lot of room left. I can just imagine if I had a 22.5 tire my issues would have really increased. My Dolphin stores under the front in the frame. My Elandan is in a compartment and part of the rear bumper assembly which I prefer.

Larry, good point, now I see why you posted in this area, however, all brands ought to be included in a question like this, just as many non-bago coaches share your config as bago coaches do not.  Steel bumpers vs f/g bumpers are shared among all the brands.  My Fleetwood has the tire mounted underneath and can be lowered by an integral winch, if I am not mistakenm so are some year/model bago coaches, the Elandon if I remember correct has an enclosure on the back. 

I understand why you posted here, but realize all coaches have as much in common as within a brand.  Heck, I didn't even notice which section it was in when I responded, and it was something of a surprise when it came up. 

max49 said:
This is a great idea, but certainly no every Winne or other MH could not do this. For instance, my MH is just plastic where you have yours mounted.
  Good job for yours though.

Max 49, actually my coach is all plastic in the rear also, I cut a hole in the plastic and ran a square tube through to a frame member, the hinge has a locking hand screw that keeps the tire from swinging when not swung out for engine access.

By the way I have a tire cover on order (almost a month) , they said they can make any size and the graphics you pick are made to fit the size cover you want (69.00 with shipping).

Attachments

• 1112290002 (Small).JPG
    1112290002 (Small).JPG
    61.9 KB · Views: 49
That's an awesome  job you did on that.  Did you build that your self?  Nice welding and hardware Now that I look at it, it probably could be built for any MH.  That should be at least an "option" for any MH that does not already have a place for a spare tire.  It could easily be painted to match the MH colors too. 
  Great job.  I guess that it really does'nt take up much room for a trailer jack knifing into it. How hard is it to get the tire up and down from it?

max49 said:
That's an awesome  job you did on that.  Did you build that your self?  Nice welding and hardware Now that I look at it, it probably could be built for any MH.  That should be at least an "option" for any MH that does not already have a place for a spare tire.  It could easily be painted to match the MH colors too. 
  Great job.  I guess that it really does'nt take up much room for a trailer jack knifing into it. How hard is it to get the tire up and down from it?

Thanks, lifting and setting the tire on the rack studs is completely effortless.
Yes, I designed , fabricated and installed the unit, about 1 1/2 days invested.
Rack and its components are designed to handle just north of 800 pounds.
Keeping the tire assm. vertical makes handling the 140 pounds pretty easy, also at 38" tall its easy to control on the roll!

My spare tire rack is now complete, nicer looking with the cover!

Attachments

• 1201280020 (Small).JPG
    1201280020 (Small).JPG
    32 KB · Views: 44
Awesome cover, Mark!  Good job!  I now wonder about the location of the license plate.  Are there any state or federal requirements about the location of the license plate and will it be visible while towing?

Sorry about the off-topic discussion; I've split it off to it's own topic here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Davidomero
Back
Top Bottom