Hauling the spare tire around - Not easy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I carry a mounted spare, not because of the known past history but because of the unknown future

A analogy could be why should I where a seat belt , I have never been killed it the past.

After carrying a spare tire (not mounted on a wheel) on top of our Jeep Liberty when we went to Alaska and realizing road service was up and down the Alaska Highway, I felt like an idiot.  Couldn't wait to get rid of it when we returned to the lower 48. 

Now my spare tire is a phone call away (and has been for most of our 60k + miles of using the Horizon.)  No cell coverage?  I'll put the Datastorm dish up and make a Skype call from my iPhone  ;) .

The other issue is can you change the tire yourself - at some point the tire size makes it completely unfeasible to change it yourself.  Our Jeep Rubicon has 33" tires in a 305 footprint and I struggle when I have to remove/install a tire.

Another thought - the large tires have a very thick tread and sidewall and are very resistant to punctures.

If one could make rubber that stretched as far as some of the logic in this thread, there'd never be any flat tires.

One of the things that firemen do, to show how "service oriented" we are is to get cats out of trees. Now some departments do and some don't, but its a traditional duty that almost everyone has heard about. I won't tell you exactly who goes up the ladder to get the scared, clingy, claws extended, fight like a Tasmanian Devil cat, but I'll tell you that it isn't going to be the senior ff, and it isn't the officer. So, for a three person crew you can probably figure out who gets the dirty work. But that's not the purpose of the story.

The story is, when a department has made the decision that they are not going to get cats out of trees, the 911 dispatcher has to convince the citizen that the cat will be ok and will eventually come down on it's own, after all, have you ever seen a cat skeleton in a tree?

So how does that fit here? Have you ever seen an RV skeleton by the side of the road? One where it was in the middle of nowhere, and it was late on Sunday night, and the people had to be back in town by daybreak, and there was no phone coverage, and nobody ever came and fixed the flat, that had been run into a bunch of times, that had bad food from the fridge being shut off?

I wish I was an artist who could draw that cartoon. All the bad, horrible things that could happen to anyone who looks after their tires regularly, who monitors their tire pressure with a remote system, that buys new tires whenever the old ones are questionable, that buys good quality tires from a reputable dealer.

Accidents happen, that's why we buy insurance. Flats and blowouts happen, that's why we have Coachnet. My experience is, that I've used my car insurance more times in 38 years than I've used a spare tire. I don't carry my insurance agent with me, in fact he's 2500 miles away from me right now. I trust that I'll be able to call him and have him take care of me if I have an accident. I trust that I can call coachnet if I have a flat. Am I wrong here? Should I carry my agent with me in case I have an accident late on Sunday night in an area where the phone doesn't work and.........

Pretty amazing how defensive people get on this subject.  It's like people who don't carry a spare are trying to convince people that do carry a spare  that it is just not necessary.    Don't worry about it, you'll have less competition  getting someone to change your tire if  some of us do it our selves.
  As far as AAA getting more calls for dead batteries than flat tires;  that's because people carry spare tires and most change it them self or another motorist often stops to help a lady put her spare on.
  Statistics are bunk, a new tire will kick up a nail easier than a balder tire; why, aggressive tread. Statistically speaking, how many accident have occured because the MH did not have toad brakes? : but of course we better have them or we'll be stoned on the MH forum.  I guess it's just always better to try to force our own opinions on every one else :)
  Actually , there is nothing wrong with carrying a spare and even changing it your self but if you feel that you can't do it because of health reasons or you just don't want to get dirty or even if you just don't want to carry the extra weight,  or for whatever reason, just say it and quit trying to convince others that they are stupid to carry a spare tire.

Molaker said:
Max49, I wish there was a like button. ;)

Can I add that I too wish there was a Likebutton on some of these issues..Max49 hit a good long ball..There is a tad bit of difference between advice and converting a sinner..

max49 said:
  Pretty amazing how defensive people get on this subject.  It's like people who don't carry a spare are trying to convince people that do carry a spare  that it is just not necessary.  ..

This is a good discussion and information exchange that highlights the pros and cons of the subject which is one primary reason why people gather in forums.

Bottom line for the thread - whatever works for you is just fine.

There is a rear hitch-mounted tire carrier.  Forgot the name, but a google search will show them.  We almost got one as our 2003 Dolphin did not have a spare nor a place to carry a 22.5" tire.  We finally crammed a mounted spare in a pass-thru compartment.  1/3 of the tire sits on the pass-thru shelf and 2/3 sits in space, but braced with rebar and and wood. 

...just say it and quit trying to convince others that they are stupid to carry a spare tire.

A well written and well thought out opinion.  I'm curious, though. Would the same advice apply to those who argue (with equal passion) that it is stupid NOT to carry a spare tire?  8)

We all have our opinions, and there is no rule here that says we all have to agree.

Little extra gasoline here.

I used to help out a friend who owneda bicycle shop during sales.  Whenever selling a bike we would take them to the 3 tubes for $5 bin and encourage them to buy.  So many times I was told they had no idea how to change a tube.  I would explain I have fixed many a flat for folks, but it was possible I would not have a tube to give away, if they had their own, they would be on their way.  If not, well, I would be happy to cal someone for them.  (kind of pre-cell with you always), same goes for a spare, faster to get t swapped if you have one, than hoping the call will net you a new tire, and the time to have it mounted. 

I was ready to toss my spare, and didn't, and within a short time later had a flat.  It ws nice having a mounted spare.  As to changing it yourself, more power to you.  I could if I had to, but if a truck with big tools is handy, well I am happy to offer a soft drink and a tip after.  That can be hot, dirty, cold, dirty and wet task.  I am now old enough to graciously let others.

Okay everybody - we're drifting off-topic (I'm guilty!)  Let's keep the topic focused.

The original question is:  ... how do you haul yours (your spare tire) and not should I carry a spare.  Carrying or not carrying a spare is a good topic, but not for the Winnebago board.

Thanks

My spare is mounted under the back end of my MH. I am glad I have one never know when I will ((HAVE)) to use it and not wait hours for someone to change it for me. I will never travel with out a spare, like going on a trip with NO fuel,water or enough food.

Gary RV Roamer said:
A well written and well thought out opinion.  I'm curious, though. Would the same advice apply to those who argue (with equal passion) that it is stupid NOT to carry a spare tire?  8)

We all have our opinions, and there is no rule here that says we all have to agree.

Absolutely.

I think the real reason many or even most CL A owners don't carry a spare is, their MH did not come with a spare, nor is there a place especially made for it.  If I had one of those, I may not be able to carry a spare either, but I would'nt be happy about it or encouraging others not to carry a spare either. 
  I think it's pretty sad that many 35' to 45' MH mfgrs. don't even give you the option or a space  for a spare tire.
  Mine has a crank and cable mounted spare just like a lot of SUVs and Pick up trucks so it's easy for me.  I have 19.5 tires but they could make them for 22.5 tires if they wanted to. 
  I have roadside assistance too but it's nice to have a choice whether to wait hrs til they get there or just getter done  in a half hr/ 45 min.

Why does a nail that is lying flat in the road ALWAYS end up straight into a tire like it has a magnet on its tip?
I guess I will continue to carry my spare for now but when it reaches it Age time (almost there) I am not sure I will haul around a $460 new tire.

Art In Mobile said:
Why does a nail that is lying flat in the road ALWAYS end up straight into a tire like it has a magnet on its tip?
The last flat I had was a result of picking up a 2" deck screw.  I guess one could say I got screwed. :mad:

Other benefits to having a spare is, you have the correct size, brand and at the right price, this it true whether you  change your own tire or have it done for you. First you may get lets say a Bridgestone instead of a Michelin to match your other front tire, you could pay two hundred more for this tire then if you shopped for it at a store, now when you get home you get to go out and buy a second tire to match the one you just over paid for. The only credible negative to carrying a spare that I have read here so far is that it makes some Winnebago drivers feel like idiots, the extra weight issue is a joke, if you are that close to your gross weight, you should carry two spares. The other value that I plan on getting now that I have a spare is piece of mind. 

A spare is only to help get you to a safe location. Once you buy the new tire the spare goes back to its home. I am not worried about the age of the spare for I will drive only a few miles and at a slower speed when it is in place.

John, why isn't the debate, to carry or nt to carry not good for the bago board?  Same issues.  Maybe not same topic, definitely a good question, no matter brand.  Besides, unless it is a bago specific fault, shouldn't it just be on the main board?  Peersonally, I don't pay attention as whether it is bago specific or not. 

mnmnutswer said:
A spare is only to help get you to a safe location. Once you buy the new tire the spare goes back to its home. I am not worried about the age of the spare for I will drive only a few miles and at a slower speed when it is in place.

Who said a spare is only to get you someplace safe, if its a good tire you should be able to drive around the world, at least 10 time!

PancakeBill said:
John, why isn't the debate, to carry or nt to carry not good for the bago board?  Same issues.  Maybe not same topic, definitely a good question, no matter brand.  Besides, unless it is a bago specific fault, shouldn't it just be on the main board?  Peersonally, I don't pay attention as whether it is bago specific or not.

Good question Bill.  This board is focused on topics that are Winnebago unique and specific.  Please read the "Welcome to the Winnebago board" message near the top.

If this thread continues to focus on to carry or not carry a spare tire instead of HOW to carry a spare tire, I will lock the thread.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom