Quit smoking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks, appreciate it, getting to he end of another day, got through it.  How's it going Ray?  Seajay, give him some inspiration!  DW must have told DD how hard today was, she came down today and told me ... Pop, you doing ok?...Man, that was a boost, we talked about it and got a second wind.  35yrs of this habit/dependencie, feeling good to say good bye.

How's it going Ray?
Going good. Not even tempted today. I am learning that there is a correct way to "smoke" the e-cigs. Much more satisfying. Glad Friday is behind me.

Someone posted that Walmart sells e-cigs, so I went down there to check on prices. They were cheaper than the tobacco shops, but only had the kits. If a kit is acceptable, that would be the place to buy. I simply prefer the throw-aways, and will pay more for them.

Ray D  :)

I smoked 2 packs a day for 35 years before I decided to quit. DH and I even went to the Eagles that night (May 6, 2008) to help me remember why I couldn't breathe. That tactic worked for me, it won't work for everyone. Hanging onto a stair railing outside, coughing my lungs out from the smoke, was a good reminder of why I needed to stop smoking. The hardest part for me was month 2. By then I felt I had my addiction under control, and was feeling pretty cocky. The fact that I still wasn't feeling as good as I thought I should, did not help. So many times I said "I felt better when I smoked, maybe I should start again". Thank goodness I did not give in to the negative thoughts I was having. I am a nonsmoker of nearly 4 years. Oh, the feeling better didn't happen over night, but it did happen. I guess what I'm trying to say is ~ be easy on yourself. Don't beat yourself up. Your body and mind have been, and are still going through a rough time. You are a nonsmoker. GREAT JOB  ;D

Ray- To answer your question.  NO (unfortunately) we are not on the wagon.  We are running as fast as we can catching up to the train.  But we have all the excuses.  My crystal ball says this week will be it.  Going to see the cardiologist to find out how bad a recently diagnosed PFO I have. He is also my father's heart doc and my father has advanced COPD, lungs falling apart and had quad bypass about 7 years ago...all from smoking. 

My plans to taper off is working pretty well and I am finding Listerine breath strips to be useful.  Pop one on the tongue and take a deep breath...WOW...My mom suggested.  I worry about the hand to mouth and likely will start eating like mad....stocked up on hard candy..but worried about my teeth...Got the carrot and celery sticks too...but I get bored with them. 

I am digging some of the suggestions such as CHARGING ourselves to smoke...I am not a "spa"  kind of girl, but I know that money would be great to help with DS tuition and football camps this summer!! :)  Then again, some new fishing gear or shotgun may be nice too! HAHAHA
Ridiculous how we do this too ourselves.  In my quest to better myself, I worry about the side effects of "quit smoking" meds/gum/patches etc...How silly!! 
Will stay positive and continue on this journey to being smoke free! :)

All the while DH patiently waits for me...God I love that man! :)

To Jim and Lee Ann......
Hang in there my children, Rome was not built in a day and sometimes quitting the weed takes several tries.  The secret to success is NEVER STOP TRYING.  If you must smoke, CHARGE YOURSELF FOR EACH CIGGIE and don't make it cheap.  DO NOT SNEAK A PUFF OCCASIONALLY.  If you do, I will know it and me and two Marines and an Air Force guy and a Ground Pounder will come and find you in the middle of the night and we will give you a crunchy peanut butter and jelly e****a and then a strong laxative and nail the toilet door shut.  It will get ''worser'' from there. 
Just teasing my friends I know the Hell that you are walking in right now.  Been there and Done that and it is tough.
I urge you to keep trying and if you fail, just pick yourself up, dust yourself off and listen in the middle of the nite for footsteps outside your house........hehehehehehehhe.
To succeed, you must try
If you try, you will succeed......
print that and paste it on your bathroom mirror.......

Lets bring our troops home now ........ 10 years is enough .......cj...

Well, been a few days since post, doing awesome!  Saturday is two weeks, feeling better everyday.  So strange, still reaching for something without thinking, then remember I don't smoke anymore, very weird.  Anyone else still sitting on the wagon... Ray... How ya doing?  First camping week of the year coming up, leave this weekend.  Taking off Sunday morning for a week in N. Virginia, looks cooler for next week but not so bad, supposed to be in the 60's in the long range forecast next week.

Glad to hear from you, again. Wondered how you were doing.

I'm doing OK, for now. Not completely off cigs. Gotta decide one way or the other, pretty soon. Taking two to four cigs a day, now. I think that's good, but gotta make the big move soon. It's really tough. The first week was easier.

Well, on and off the wagon. Hoping for more willpower and less stress, both at once.  :D 

Ray D  :)

PM received and replied. Replied twice, actually, as first dissappeared. Don't know how many you'll get.

Ray D.  :)

Got it buddy.  Believe we are will be riding the same wagon... right?

Ray D - Tomorrow is the day you quit once and for all.  Throw the rest of them out.  Remember Tomorrow is the first day of the rest of your life!  You KNOW you'll feel better and will be in better health so do it now!  (That's an order!)  ::)  We'll all be here cheering you on!

ArdraF

Jim, yep, we're on the same wagon. Ardra, are you pickin on me. Make me feel like I'm back in the military!  :-\  ;) 

This just got tougher, the second week of this campaign. First several days were easy. I expected worse. I didn't expect the difficulty of the last several days.

Just for the record, I started this e-cig try several weeks ago. Helped, but didn't quite do the job. Found this wagon, and jumped on. Staying here.  :) 

Ray D.  :)

Ray - Yep!  This Army Brat is giving you your marching orders.  Isn't that just what you need!  Tee hee.  Seriously, when you start to feel the need go outside and do something different.  Can you take a walk or do some hobby or go talk to a neighbor?  Whatever you can do to divert yourself is good.  Just don't sit there looking at them and then give in.  You have to reorient your thinking and get your hands and/or body doing something else than reach for one of those cancer sticks.

ArdraF

OK, Ardra is providing the tough love!  I'm Mrs. Bleeding Heart, willing to hear all your excuses, tell you how tough it is, hoping to cheer you through it.  Know what I say now? 

I say, LISTEN TO ARDRA !!!

You know it's worth it; I know it's worth it.  It's really tough, but kicking the habit has rewards on so many levels.  We know you can do it, because we did .... and it wasn't easy, buddy, it wasn't easy.  But life is much better for us now, and will be for you, too!

Margi

Ray, Here's another one trying to add more encouragement to your difficult task.  Been there, done that, don't ever intend to go through it again.  As others have said, when your get the urge, do something else.  Someone suggested to go out an talk to a neighbor, etc.  Just pick one who is a non-smoker.  One thing that hurt me in my endeavor, was being WITH people who themselves smoked.  This DID NOT HELP ME ONE BIT.  Divorce yourself from all those who smoke until you get over the hump, so to speak and you can then handle someone elses Bad Habit.  Hang with people who don't smoke and the pain will be that much less, and the urges will go away that much quicker.

Daisy

You make an excellent point, Daisy. Not being around smokers much helped a lot when I quit three and a half years ago. All of my previous attempts had been years ago when smoking was more common and when you could smoke in restaurants, bars, etc. Thinking of myself as a non-smoker, rather than an ex-smoker or as having quit smoking, also helped. Fortunately, the urge to smoke is rare these days, and fairly weak when it occurs.

And best of luck to all who are trying -- it's really worth the effort.

When I was in college, I hung out with smokers. I quit smoking between semesters and could no longer hang with those people...just couldn't be around smokers. Lucky thing Mike didn't smoke.

Two weeks down this morning.  Chewing a ton of gum (plain gum)... For the nicotine withdrawal, using e-cig.  Have already gone from the regular down to the light dose on that.  The regular really messed me up, made me feel tired.  Can't believe how much better breathing is already.  Should have quit a year or two ago, have been ready for awhile now... You need to be 'ready'.  Have not figured out who yet, however either DW or one of the DC got rid of the two unopened packs that I bought the day I quit, they disappeared from the kitchen counter!  I know this is going to sound stupid to anyone that has never smoked, however this is like saying goodbye to an old friend... albeit a friend that one should have never been around! Now, for those that have not been able to stay on the wagon ride....  Your not alone, found an interesting site, hope it helps.  http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/000953.htm

Ray D - Where are you?  We haven't heard from you for a couple of days.  Hope you're hanging in there too!

Jim - You have such a smart family!  :D

ArdraF

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom