Food for thought

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Campfire RV

Ok RV'ers, I need some advice on food. We are preparing for our 1st MH experience on a 2 week vacation to northern California in June so we need some help on foods you think are good during your RV vacations. My wife is Filipina so I know some of our common dishes that she will prepare and probably even share with other campers at the sites we will be staying. What are some of your favorite dishes that you like to fix up on these vacations?

Thanks,
Josh

I'm a big fan of crock pot cooking, and always make enough for at least a couple of meals.  Depending on my travel schedule, I have had the crock pot going in the floorboard of my truck (plugged in to the inverter), while rolling down the road.

Enjoy your trip!

My Willa will make a bunch of spaghetti sauce and portions it out into plastic bags and freeze it in our home freezer for use on the road.  She will do the same with ''veggie'' soup and she can cook a roast and then cut it up into BBQ slices and freeze that also.  When we leave home we usually have the freezer section of the Dometic pretty well stuffed with good home cooking and all we have to do is pop it into the microwave and we have a meal for two in a few minutes.
My Willa is a wonderful cook and can whip up a meal fit for a king in just a little while.

We cook pretty much the same foods we enjoy at home. We grill steaks or chops on the BBQ whether home or in the RV, and we can bake, boil and fry in the RV as well as anywhere else. And since we are rarely far from a grocery store, there is no need for extensive pre-planning or pre-packaging foods.

We grill a combination of meats all at the same time, like chicken breasts, steaks and salmon. We throw veggies on the grill too, like green and red peppers, onions, broccoli, asparagus, carrots, etc.

We use that food to freeze some and eat the rest all week long. We'll use the steak meat for fajitas, the salmon for a spinach salad and the chicken breasts for a number of different meals.

By the way, keep us updated on your itinerary. We'll share our dinner if you share yours!..lol We've always enjoyed anything made by the hands of a Filipina!

-Roni

Thanks for all the great ideas. Do most campgrounds have a grill on the sites? We don't have a grill yet but we are looking especially for dry camping. We have a really small grill at home which can cook about two burgers, or chicken breasts at a time which could take some time to cook enough for 4 adults in the near future since my mother in law and sister in law will be living with us in July.

Most COE campgrounds have charcoal grills at each site, bring your own charcoal.  Much less so for private campgrounds.

Ned said:
Most COE campgrounds have charcoal grills at each site, bring your own charcoal.  Much less so for private campgrounds.

I had planned on carrying charcoal anyway because I thought some of the campgrounds may have grills and I love the flavor that charcoal adds too.

Don't know where all you plan to travel, but we're in Albuquerque right now. You're not allowed to use charcoal grills, so we had to buy a gas grill we got here. With the high winds and fire danger in the area I understand though.

We've been fulltiming for two years and this is the first place we've been that you have to use a gas grill. I love the flavor of charcoal grills myself, but Trevor's such a good cook, I haven't had to suffer too badly..lol

-Roni

tstumpf said:
Don't know where all you plan to travel, but we're in Albuquerque right now. You're not allowed to use charcoal grills, so we had to buy a gas grill we got here. With the high winds and fire danger in the area I understand though.

We've been fulltiming for two years and this is the first place we've been that you have to use a gas grill. I love the flavor of charcoal grills myself, but Trevor's such a good cook, I haven't had to suffer too badly..lol

-Roni

We will be traveling to northern California at Burney Falls next month so I guess I should contact them and ask about the charcoal. I didn't think about the fire danger and the southwest states are all notorious for wildfires.

Josh

We live and have traveled extensively in northern CA. Haven't been to Burney Falls yet, but were close last year at Lassen Volcanic National Park. Every camp ground I've ever seen in No. CA has a charcol barbecue pit. Normally if the fire danger is high, the babecue pits are the only fires you are allowed to burn.

Best thing we ever  bought for RV food perpared meals is the Food Saver vacume sealer.
We have the large one at home and it really gets a beating before we leave, and we have a small one in the RV for fish.

Larry and Rita said:
Best thing we ever  bought for RV food perpared meals is the Food Saver vacume sealer.
We have the large one at home and it really gets a beating before we leave, and we have a small one in the RV for fish.

My sister uses the Food Saver Vacume sealer for her family. She cooks several meals in on day and separates them out by meal per day and seals them and stashes them in the freezer. That sounds like a great idea before we leave on our two week trip. Thanks for that reminder.

We like to make Indonesian SATE' , seasoned and skewered beef/chicken or pork on the grill then  covered with spicy peanut sauce...yum

Both the skewers and the peanut sauce can be prepared before your trip and frozen.

Like others have suggested, we are crock pot fans while traveling. It's great to get where you're going and have dinner ready. The aroma itself in the mh is almost worth firing up the crock pot. Only problem is, the dw has to keep wiping drool off my face while I'm driving... ;D ;D

Regarding campground grills - after having been volunteer camp hosts in state parks with on site grills and having seen what some people leave in and on the grills (dirty diapers for one thing and human feces for another) I don't think I could bring myself to use one.
I know the grills get real hot and stuff should burn off but still....

good point, Clay. we have a folding grill that we use over the fire pit.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
abrown666
Back
Top Bottom