Food for thought

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I need a good grill so I don't have to worry about dirty diapers and human feces on the surface I will be cooking on sometimes. I also need to take my crockpot because I really do like crockpot dinners which would be very beneficial for us since we enjoy long hikes and the food can cook while we are out hiking and be ready to eat when we get back.

My local Costco had Camp Chef two-burner propane stoves on sale recently for $100... they're now $120, I believe. They may not be available in your neck of the woods, since Camp Chef is a local company here.

Water Dog said:
We live and have traveled extensively in northern CA. Haven't been to Burney Falls yet, but were close last year at Lassen Volcanic National Park. Every camp ground I've ever seen in No. CA has a charcol barbecue pit. Normally if the fire danger is high, the babecue pits are the only fires you are allowed to burn.

Dennis, we just arrived at Burney Falls tonight and we will walk down to the Falls tomorrow which is only about a mile from the campground here. Due to the dry season we can only have an open flame at the bbq pit by the front office only, not at the sites. There are no bbq pits at the sites anyway. Well, the weather is beautiful and we are going to stay here the next three nights then move down to Lassen Volcanic National Park after that. Do you prefer any locations there over others?

Josh

Well, we have been on our Maiden voyage the past five days now and we have managed the following meals so far:
Breakfast:
Biscuits
Grits
Pop Tarts
Eggs & Bacon
Pancackes

Lunch:
Soup
Turkey sandwiches
Macaronni & Cheese

Dinner:
Spaghetti
Pizza
Salad
Pork Adobo
Tater Tot Casserole

I'm sure we will become creative at some point on this trip.

Josh, check this message:

http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php?topic=13400.msg122919;topicseen#msg122919

I wish the forum had a thank you button, posts like Tom's are why I really like this place :)

I wish the forum had a thank you button ...

But then I'd be jealous of the number of Thank You buttons that Gary would have  :-[

Larry and Rita said:
Best thing we ever  bought for RV food perpared meals is the Food Saver vacume sealer.
We have the large one at home and it really gets a beating before we leave, and we have a small one in the RV for fish.

I agree totally!  8)

I like to grill most of our dinners, so be it ribeyes, pork steak, wings or brautworst, I vacume pak them, then freeze them ahead of time and thaw as needed.

Also I bring along a Weber kettle and bags of natural lump charcoal.  :D

I was reading over the posts and noticed something that Mojavesky13 mentioned about his breakfast menu...what exactly are grits and how do you cook them?

mojavesky13 said:
I live in California and my wife is from the Philippines.
Just kidding.
No no, I was saying, where are you at so I can stop by and have some lumpia. Love that stuff!

RossM said:
I was reading over the posts and noticed something that Mojavesky13 mentioned about his breakfast menu...what exactly are grits and how do you cook them?

Grits are kind of like a rice, you just boil them in water until the water has soaked in then eat it. I'm originally from Kentucky and that was a big thing for breakfast in my family. I mention grits to people here in California and most of them don't know what they are either.

skyking1 said:
Just kidding.
No no, I was saying, where are you at so I can stop by and have some lumpia. Love that stuff!

We are currently in northern California enjoying our vacation. It's kind of funny, I love lumpia too, but I don't eat it as much now since I got married.

Grits are really good with real butter melted in them.  Never had them or heard of them till we moved south.

If you haven't tried grits, you are missing good. Eggs without grits are just.....eggs.

We always include Grits with Eggs, sausage, ham or fried chicken for breakfast almost every morning. Grits with melted butter, salt and pepper enhance the flavor of eggs every time. Sometimes we put Sorgum Molassas on the grits along with the melted butter.

Here in Northern Colorado, and where my wife shops in Southern Wyoming, Grits are prominently displayed in the Supermarket Shelves.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rbritt
Back
Top Bottom