7 minutes of terror tomorrow night

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ned

Moderator Emeritus
At 1:31AM EDT Aug. 6 (Monday morning early) the Mars Science Laboratory, Curiosity, will descend to Mars and land at the Gale Crater.  If you don't know why the "terror" then you should view the video at this page on the NASA website.  This is the most Rube Goldbergesque mission ever attempted :)

I plan to see it, glad I have a DVR , I would probably fall asleep before then.

Ned said:
At 1:31AM EDT Aug. 6 (Monday morning early) the Mars Science Laboratory, Curiosity, will descend to Mars and land at the Gale Crater.  If you don't know why the "terror" then you should view the video at this page on the NASA website.  This is the most Rube Goldbergesque mission ever attempted :)

The video clip says August 5th.  which is correct?

Edit:  The video clip shows PST, not EDT.

I have been planning all week on staying all night Sunday night and watching this live. This is a once in a lifetime opportunity. I saw Sheppard live, I saw Armstrong live and I will see Curiosity live.

It will be 2:30AM in Atlantic Canada so I guess I will record it also.

I will have to watch it on the internet since DirecTV took the NASA channel off of the 101W satellite :(

I tried to set my dish dvr to record it but found that I can't as the schedule reads "this channel is moving to..."  which means that it will startrecording as soon as I het the button.  This is a long time too soon, over a day.  I will have to set an alarm to remind me to watch.  In themean time there areseveral news conferences at bad times about the mission and there is no way to record them

I'm calling dish for a solution.

It will be on 2 channels, 212 and 286 but there is no detailes schedule available, on 212 if says "this channel is moving to channel 286" on channel 286 it says "Education Hour" through at least the first of the week.

Frustrating!

I'll just start mine recording when I go to bed and set it for manual user stop. Mine will record several hundred hours so shouldn't be a problem.

Lowell said:
The video clip says August 5th.  which is correct?

Edit:  The video clip shows PST, not EDT.
Both are correct. On the west coast at JPL the touchdown will be at 10:30 on Aug 5th, tonight. On the east coast it will touchdown at 1:30 on Aug 6th.

I have been looking forward to this with my girls! We are having a camp out in front of our neighbors house with our new RV. I will run the cable to it and give the girls a historic camp out!

Thanks so much for the reminder- I bet I would have forgotten.

Wizard46 said:
I'll just start mine recording when I go to bed and set it for manual user stop. Mine will record several hundred hours so shouldn't be a problem.

If you are on Dish, the education hour will record from 8pm MDT to midnight MDT and then you can record again from midnight to 4 am IF your DVR has the space available.

Does anyone know of any other channel (DirecTV) than NASA TV that will carry the event?

Ned said:
Does anyone know of any other channel (DirecTV) than NASA TV that will carry the event?
None of the channels on my cable will be showing it. I have been reading as much as I can all week and no one has mentioned that there will be a live broadcast anywhere but NASA TV. You could hook up your laptop to your TV. I am wondering exactly what we will see when it lands other than a bunch of happy scientists at JPL. There certainly won't be any live TV broadcast of the landing. And from what I read it will be hours before we get the first images back from Mars if the landing is successful and those will be low res b&w.

CNN is going to broadcastbthisvevent live.. So if you have CNN tune in

The science guy was talking about it yesterday..

A few days later they will have a video from a sat. Orbiting Mars and filming the entry.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
abrown666
Back
Top Bottom