Wet Shaving

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mylo

There seems to be a recent trend that is romanticizing the shaving days of yore, when all this fancy (and expensive) 5 blade, vibrating shaving cartridges didn't exist (blah!). A friend of mine convinced me to try "wet shaving" (dumb name, I know... most shaving is "wet") - using a badger brush, shaving soap, and a double-edged safety razor.

I found a nice specimen on fleaBay (a one piece Gillette from the 60's with the little trapdoors to secure the blade). I found some really nice smelling natural soaps from Mama Bear, and a nice brush from Amazon.

I have to say that it definitely takes a little longer, since I have to make three passes (and re-lather between each) - with the grain, across the grain, against the grain. Also, it's easier to hack yourself up pretty good - if you apply too much pressure - or try against the grain too soon... But the shave is definitely more comfortable and very close (baby's bottom). It feels a little bit like pampering - and I definitely don't have time to do it before work each morning - but I really enjoy it. Another benefit is the cheap blades... a pack of 10 is like $5 (compared to like $25 for the new stuff).

Many of you guys must have started shaving with those razors. I'm a little younger, and perhaps slightly wiser than other in my generation... What's new is not always better... Cheers!

Mylo

I still use the old Gilette Foamy shave cream and also will never give up my twin blade razor

mylo said:
Many of you guys must have started shaving with those razors. I'm a little younger, and perhaps slightly wiser than other in my generation... What's new is not always better... Cheers!

When I started shaving, my dad got me started with a straight razor.  Pretty much followed your comments and I loved it.  Never thought about it when I went into the Army.  First morning in the barracks, I thought I was going to prison as the world exploded when I hauled it out and started stropping it before shaving.

I was allowed to finish shaving, a Sgt. watching, and then we packed it up and shipped it home followed by a trip to the PX for "proper" shaving equipment.

Just never went back to it after I was discharged.  Can't even get a shave like that in a barbershop anymore, at least around here..

I only shave my neck and cheeks jowls, and I do that with a cheap store brand disposable razor, DRY.

We have a lady in my hometown that still does genuine straight razor shaves on request. The strop is anchored to the barber chair, has a rack of brushes for soap in a mug, and about a dozen different razors in the cabinet on display. The only hard part of the shave is watching and waiting for the first stroke. Her hands shake like a leaf! As soon as the blade hits skin, her hand is as stable as a rock. That last foot, as the blade comes toward you, with the light glinting off the steel is murder. Everyone should have a straight razor shave at least once in their life.

Ken

Just Lou said:
I only shave my neck and cheeks jowls, and I do that with a cheap store brand disposable razor, DRY.

You're one tough bugger! It would feel as though I was pulling out each whisker, one by one, if I were to do that. LOL!

I could not even consider DRY shaving, my bears is too tough and my skin too soft.  I'd bleed to death.

Just Lou said:

Nice repair.  Otherwise, we would have to start a new thread.  Not sure what we would name it, but it would be an interesting one!  ;D

For years I used the Bic throw away razors because they were cheap and they did a good job of removing the hair from my face.  Last year while in Florida I needed razors and I decided to give one of the ''new, four blade'' wonders a try.  I bought the razor and it included three more blades.  Believe it or not, I used the original blade that came in the razor for over six months.  I would shave with it and clean it with hot water and put it in a small cup of baby oil.  After about six months I was curious if the blade had gotten dull or my face had just gotten tough.  I changed the blade for a new one.  Actually there was very little difference in the new blade and the old blade concerning sharpness.
I am very satisfied with the new razor and I hope i live long enough to wear out the rest of the blades.

Remember this ........  This is how I found the product and I like it and YOU MAY NOT GET THE SAME RESULTS because I am sometimes wrong ......cj

(words of wisdom from CJ..........never ''peeeeeeeeee''  into a camp fire with the wind blowing in your face)

I started out with a 2 head Phillishave which decided it didn't like me after a few months.  Started using a double edge like my dad while waiting for repairs and never went back, the shop lost the electric. Dad always used the mug and brush, I went to the spray bomb. I always feel refreshed afterward. Lou, just thinking about trying that dry makes my face hurt.

I can remember seeing my grandpa's straight razor with a leather stroping strap hanging by the sink at his house when I was a kid.  I still can't imagine how you'd even use something like that without blood all over the place, but our ancestors must have known.  I don't think I'd have the nerve to let a barber take one of them to my face.  Thank goodness for my Norelco triple-header.  What a wuss!

Gordon

Seajay said:
...  Believe it or not, I used the original blade that came in the razor for over six months.  ...
I am very satisfied with the new razor and I hope i live long enough to wear out the rest of the blades.
I remember the old Gillette "Blue Blades".  Sharp at the beginning but dull when you finished.  Never could get two shaves from one.  Like SeaJay, I believe in the stainless steel go forever blades.

When I joined the Air Force we had a bag of stuff waiting for us, in there was the good old Gillette like my Dad had.  Used those for many years, but nowadays, my neck and cheeks, get a Gillette Fusion with Barbasol.  I have tried using electrics, a couple times, but always go back to a razor.

Call me strange... I use just good old bar soap and any razor. Single or multi-blade (preferred). Typically I shave after a shower where my whiskers are soft and shave nicely.

Anyone remember those Rolls razors?? The single blade was inserted into the metal case and, as it was rolled back and forth, it flipped stropping the edge of the blade on a built in strop. The blade was then removed and connected to a handle for use. My dad used it for many years and I did use it for a short while myself.

The blades will stay sharper longer if you can get the water off them.  Dip 'em in baby oil, veg oil, olive oil (if you're really tough, used motor oil) or hit 'em with a shot of good old WD40.  My Dad  double edge left his in a baby food jar with Veg oil. 

Mom said Dad could sand lumber with his beard. He shaved a couple of times a day and didn't used many blades. I'd have to turn my back and laugh when he would come out of the bathroom with a half dozen little of toilet paper stuck over his face to stop the bleeding. A close shave for him was more like a self sacrifice.

Reason they go dull is more due to the edge rusting. Nobody puts a straight razor away wet.
Think about when  they're "strapping" a straight razor. All that is happening is the removal the micro fine nicks and micro fine rust.

You guys using the old style double edge blades remember the slot in the medicine cabinet?
You put your old blade in the slot and the went down into the wall cavity. 

My uncle was a barber and about 20 years ago my dad was in the hospital recovering from a surgery. My uncle had been long retired at this point but came in and shaved dad's face with a straight razor. 1st and only time I have ever seen it done in person...quite an art form!

I've been using Softsoap with aloe vera hand soap as my shaving cream.  It's too thick straight out of the bottle but if you thin it by wetting your hand then applying about half a pump stroke the consistency becomes just right.  The gel gives a better shave than most aerosol shaving creams.

And the aloe vera soothes any nicks you may get.

Back
Top Bottom