Wet Shaving

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
[We have a lady in my hometown that still does genuine straight razor shaves on request.

I have been told by two different barbers in Florida that they are not allowed to shave customers anymore. Both said it was against the law. I would have no idea if true or not. Maybe they just did not want to do it, but with AIDS/Hepatitis scares, I can see where it is possible there was such a law. I am old enough that straight razors were just going out of style when I started shaving (nuns sent me home from 7th grade to shave before I returned). Graduated to safety razors and then disposables.

I hated shaving so much that I quit when I was 25 and only a small part of my face and neck have seen a razor since, except once. My original passport photo was with me unshaven at age 24. When I tried to cross the border from East Berlin to West Berlin while wearing a beard, the East German guards and their Russian adviser would not let me cross until I shaved so they could verify the passport photo. I was extremely nervous, the razor they gave me was dull, there was no shaving cream or soap available, and I was so unused to shaving I really botched it. The nicks and cuts on my face must have looked like I had lost a fight with a tom cat when they finally let me go. Except for my neck area I have never shaved again.

Staff edit: Fix bad quote tag

In my state barbers and beauticians are licensed by the state. I'd imagine each state would have their own rules and so some would allow it and some wouldn't. It's been a couple of years since I was there so they may have shut it down by now too. You know the goverment always knows what's best for you.

Ken

I have worn beard since '65 when I discovered shaving made hamburger of my face in bootcamp. The act of shaving seems like such a daily waste of time anyway.

Oddly enough, I used to collect/sell vintage and antique shaving gear.

On the 8th day, God invented electric razors.  2 minute buzz in the AM, and good to go.  More time for the second cup of coffee.

A couple of years ago my grandson found my old straight edge that I used until I went into the service. [Not allowed in basic training.] He said he couldn't even dream how we used them without cutting our throats.

Lee

I started with the Schick Injector as a teenager, and that's still what I use. The blades have gotten better, stay sharper for much longer, and I probably only use three or four blades a year.  I started with shaving cream, and used various kinds over the years, but now I just use Dial soap to lather my face. Of course I need to wash my face thoroughly to get the whiskers wet, then I lather with Dial. If I don't do the first step it's almost as bad as dry shaving.

I do have a Norelco that I use on occasion, but if I don't use a blade most of the time, I wind up with pimples, loose dry skin, etc.

PancakeBill said:
Friz, I'll stick with His original plan.

I too have not shaved in a while....

Attachments

• 121119-095742.jpg
    121119-095742.jpg
    123.8 KB · Views: 15
My dad used the mug, brush and straight razor. But the thing that I remember the most was the strap. Now days my dad would be under the jail. Now you know why I say "Yes Mam & No Sir, Thank You & Please".

Remember the World Series... "Look sharp, feel sharp... Gillette Blue Blades".

PancakeBill said:
Friz, I'll stick with His original plan.

I did for a while too, but once it started growing in salt & pepper, I wiped it clean.  Maybe when it returns to all one color (albeit, quite a bit lighter)again.....I'll give the original plan another shot.  :)

I have had my beard from the time it was all one color to once again, just about all one.  I had maybe 5 years in 40 without, so pics through the years show the progress.

I've had my beard for 33 years.  They were not just unpopular in my early days with IBM, but were not allowed.

Nor my NCR days.  I started just after they required we wear a hat.

I worked with lots of IBM guys over my years in systems. 

Ever mess with the Series 1?

PancakeBill said:
Nor my NCR days.  I started just after they required we wear a hat.
I worked with lots of IBM guys over my years in systems.
Ever mess with the Series 1?

Bill, by the time the Series 1 came along, I was tied up with the larger systems and "In House" Data Center Support.

Frizlefrak said:
I did for a while too, but once it started growing in salt & pepper, I wiped it clean.  Maybe when it returns to all one color (albeit, quite a bit lighter)again.....I'll give the original plan another shot.  :)

I earned my salt and pepper, so I'm proud to show it.

I'm in the minority - I've been rockin' a mustache since I was about 16. Have only shaved it off twice - once at about 18 and another in my early 20's when Kim & I were dating and I was told never to shave it again!

I do sport a beard every once in a while but keep it short - maybe a week's growth. These days, though, I don't like it - I'm thining up top, remaining hair is still jet black, mustache is black but the beard is 75% salt and 25% pepper...not a good look!

Larry N. said:
I earned my salt and pepper, so I'm proud to show it.

My daughter gave me my salt and pepper as a gift when she was about 16...........

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bob007
Back
Top Bottom