What camera

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Costco 'bundles' are always good value. I looked at the SX500 but decided it wasn't enough of an upgrade from my SX20.

Bill,

costco.com will ship to wherever you are.

Shipping is another fun thing, PO Box, mail twice a week, or UPS and wait for space on a transporrt.  Don't need the bog of pretzels that bad.

PancakeBill said:
Costco is quite a trip for me.  Starting and finishing with a 35 mile snowmobile ride, typically passing bison, and lately they have been finicky!  Got chased last week for a short distance.  Then the clean off the car, reconnect the battery, and drive about 80 miles each way.  Count them, 230 miles, with 70 on a snowmobile.
God bless Amazon

I went to Frys web site to see how much they were selling the camera for and they refused to show me the price until I had given them all my personal information. Amazon is a lot more user friendly and probably cheaper.

SeilerBird said:
I went to Frys web site to see how much they were selling the camera for and they refused to show me the price until I had given them all my personal information. Amazon is a lot more user friendly and probably cheaper.

I have a fry's account and checked the price. It's 219.00 vs Amazon 227.00. Fry's has always been a great place to shop in my opinion. Easy to deal with.

"Easy to deal with"??

I searched for the SX500 and found it listed. Under price it said "To see price put it in your cart". So I put it in my cart. I clicked on my cart and it said "To see price checkout". So I clicked on checkout. It said I first had to fill in all my personal information. I stopped playing their game at that point because I figured they would then want my credit card info and then tell me I could see the price when I got my credit card bill. Personally I would pay the extra $9 to Amazon so I didn't have to play Fry's games.

I used to shop a lot at Fry's in San Jose during the 90s when I was building computers for a living. They had the cheapest prices in all of Silicone Valley. Then they built the big box stores. Prices went way up all across the board. They still had great prices on the specials they advertised in the newspapers but the rest of their prices were not even close.

I used to buy a lot of stuff at Fry's when there were 3 of their stores within an easy drive from my office; I could zip over at lunchtime, or stop by on my way home. I like to touchy feely before buying, and they always have a big selection in stock. Nowadays, it's easier for me to get to Best Buy or Costco, and I get my Fry's fix once a year or maybe once every two years.

Tom said:
...and I get my Fry's fix once a year or maybe once every two years.
Same with me. I love shopping in their store, they have every tech toy in the world. And they let you play with just about anything. But I am only in Las Vegas once a year and I never go to San Jose anymore.

SeilerBird said:
God bless Amazon

According to this site, Amazon does the same thing. I had read previously that the reasoning for not posting price w/the item was to avoid the robots scanning for prices. And that makes sense. Also, I have been able to get pricing by going to the Fry's cart w/out the need for further info. Have never pruchased on line from Fry's so they do not have any prior info on me.

http://www.lazymanandmoney.com/frys-hates-customers/

(Note the update at the end of the article)

My home base is in the Sacramento/Roseville area of NCal. I can almost throw a rock to the Roseville store and am about 20 miles from the Sacto store. I too used to build my own computers, and still fix most of my own or take them to Fry's for repair.

Not only touch and feel an item, I can then have lunch in their cafeteria and look up reviews on any item I am considering.

I "do" love Amazon, Sam's, Costco, and Walmart, however, I "really" love Fry's.

God bless Fry's . . .  :)

... and that Roseville store is huge Bob. I could spend a day there, but I'd have to go without Chris if I wanted to do that.

Some trivia ... I bought my second digital camera, my first Sony, at an online site called outpost.com aka Cyberian Outpost; They were later acquired by Fry's for their online shopping cart feature.

Bob Buchanan said:
According to this site, Amazon does the same thing. I had read previously that the reasoning for not posting price w/the item was to avoid the robots scanning for prices.
No, Amazon does not do the same thing. At Amazon when they don't list a price it only takes one mouse click to see the price. At Fry's I did three mouse clicks and they still wanted all my personal information. I understand why they are doing it, but Fry's lost any chance of ever selling me anything online with that performance.

My newest point and shoot is a the Olympus SZ-10. 14mp and 18x zoom, or a range of 5mm to 90mm. In 35mm speak, that's equivalent to 28mm-504mm. I'm really liking this camera. Some of the criteria was that it had to have a usable zoom (I rarely take close ups or 'people pics'), easy to use, and must fit in a pocket. And this fits all of the above. When I'm going out and purposely taking pics I will use one of my DSLR/SLR's (yes I still use film). But when I'm out and about doing other tasks, I will carry the Olympus with me just in case. Makes an excellent choice to just sit on the dash when traveling, taking pics of interesting things along the roadway. And it takes pretty good video also. Available on Amazon for around $170 bucks.

OK, Costco got my money as it was right there in front of me and so it is home, battery charged and 2 more batteries on the way.  I will have a 32 G memory installed as soon as I can find it.  It is in the desk "someplace safe"!  :)

OOPs, I guess I did leave that out.  The Canon SX500IS  I've been sitting here trying to learn it.  Gonna take a while and lots of practice.  Pics are great!

Back
Top Bottom