What camera

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Tom said:
I see that photographers, like RVers, have opinions and disagreements, even among the experts  ;D
I think any debate is good. It gives people both sides of the story. So long as it doesn't descend into "You are an idiot because you don't agree with my opinion." If I posted an opinion and no one contested it then most people reading the thread to learn would think that my opinion was correct. By having a healthy debate people see both sides of the issue and can decide for themselves who is right.

And many times someone tells me I am wrong and they are right and I am grateful. I don't like having false info in my head. For example, the other day I posted a fact about National Park Service employment and Wendy pointed out I was wrong. So I thanked Wendy, changed my post and now I know the truth.

You have forgotten a post I made a few days ago ...

Nope, didn't forget. In fact, I had your comment clearly in my mind when I posted in this topic. Just my way of trying to diffuse a potential downhill slide in the discussion.

No issue with healthy dialog; We all learn from such discussions.

Tom,

I just bought the camera you recommend since my wife managed to trash hers; so I/we'll see. I'm a reasonably sdvanced amateur who has a DSLR, two Olympus bridge cameras (one trashed and one given to our daughter), and a "waterproof" Olympus. I like the specs and the ability to use std. rechargable batteries.

I bought RED and did so sight unseen.

Ernie

Ernie n Tara said:
I just bought the camera you recommend since my wife managed to trash hers; so I/we'll see. I'm a reasonably advanced amateur who has a DSLR, two Olympus bridge cameras (one trashed and one given to our daughter), and a "waterproof" Olympus. I like the specs and the ability to use std. rechargeable batteries.
Ernie - Please post your opinion and some photos once you have a definite opinion on the camera. Roni from this forum also bought one, but she got the black one. If I buy one it will be the red one.

Tom said:
Just curious Bob, how well informed do you find the folks in Fry's when it comes to cameras? It's been a while since I shopped there for cameras, but I've usually found their PC and related sales folks to be quite knowledgeable. Pushy, yes, because they're on commission, but still knowledgeable.

Haven't done as much w/cameras at Fry's as I have with computers over the years - but so far, have been pleased with the info I get. I bought my Canon 50D at Fry's, Roseville in fact. Of course, I had done tons of reserch otherwise such as on line reviews and hanging out at Pardee's. Most of my info on Computers via Fry's has been via their repair folk. Those behind that counter have really given me great info over the years.

As TomS mentions, it is true that salesmen (and saleswomen) are sometimes on commission, but as I mention previously, I am old enough and wise enough to not base a purchase of a camera, computer, or most anything else on their recommendation alone. But, I would also not want to disguard what they have to tell.

Am exploring campacts at present as a possible walk around to have handy when I don't have my DSLR and my smart phone is not up to the task. As part of my reserach I visited Fry's. The gentleman I chatted with seemed very knowledgeable on compacts. He obviously had done a lot of reading and study and I was amazed at how much he knew about the wide array of compacts on display.

I told him of my my situtation, my photo background, and price range. He in turn pointed me to several that I might want to consider. I played with each for awhile - then headed to the restaruant in the center of the store armed with my smart phone. Had a sandwich, big coke, and spent about an hour looking at the reviews on line of each of his recommendations. I really like dpReviews side by side comparisons of various models and vendors, plus their indepth reviews and forums.

So to sum up my repsonse, I want as much info as possible and enjoy the input of Fry's salesmen and women as part of my decision on cameras. Fry's sales folk are not Pardee's sales folk, but every bit of info is helpful.

I heard a story some time ago. Not sure how true it is but I can imagine it is. A professional photographer went on a shoot with a "less than professional" photographer. The professional had a PAS and the other a full blown lens interchangeable camera. Both shot the same subjects with their equipment. The professional got just as good of a shot as the other guy.

Point is the camera is a secondary item when it comes to good shots. Composition and exposure are more important than what camera you own. Skill certainly does help but that comes with time.

I've used dpreviews.com as a good source of camera critique, although they go into more detail and technical stuff than I personally need or can fully appreciate. They previously posted the results of an extensive comparison of 12 "travel zoom" cameras here. For the conclusions, jump to the last page here. Since the test was conducted in 2010, it's obviously way out of date in digital camera terms; Models have been superseded, and at least one manufacturer (Kodak) is no longer in this business. But it might be a good starting point for someone to then look at recent reviews of newer models.

Meanwhile, dpreviews have opened a separate mobile photography web site.

Great info.  Went to Walmart and examined the WB100, red. Did not like because of the no view finder. But  proberly would have bought it but they were out of stock.  Went to best buy and they had one. In talking to the sales girl, she pointed out a Fugi S4300 with 26 X with a view finder all for 149.00.  Reg. price 219.00. Bought it, set it up. manual ok. CD better.  Works great. For years I have used many cameras and have several "prize" photos on the throw-aways.  As someone said earlier,  Its not always the type of camera or the cost of it but the target your photographing. If it makes a memory its done its job.

Jim, went to the site you pointed to for the Fugi S4200, I liked the looks of it and tried calling to ask some questions, but they are closed so I will try tomorrow. Have been wanting a new camera and this one looks real nice. Thanks Cathy

Good discussion. I thought I'd never like a camera with no viewfinder until I bought a Canon Powershot S100 last year. I like it a lot and don't miss the viewfinder, but it is a personal preference. Hold the camera a few inches in front of my face and shoot, as SeilerBird said. I do have to take off my sunglasses to shoot vertical format (portrait), though, because of the polarization.

Suggest you buy somewhere that lets you return it if you don't like it. (I like B&H in New York City for internet shopping.)

Good luck in your search!

Since camera phones and point and shoots don't have viewfinders I would guess 90% of the cameras sold today don't have a viewfinder on them. I have four cameras, two with viewfinders and two without. So it really doesn't make any difference to me unless I am tracking flying birds, then I need a viewfinder.

I agree it's a personal preference, and my preference is for a viewfinder. Several of my PAS cameras and my latest cell phone don't have a viewfinder, so they don't get much use.

It certainly is a personal preference, for me, a viewfinder, for my wife, a display.  All responses here reflect personal opinions, so, form one for yourself, follow it and don't look back.

... follow it and don't look back

I do and don't, and have been consistent in my "need viewfinder" comments for several years  ;)

My preference has always been the through the lens optical view finder (OVF) on a DSLR. It has a few disadvantages to the electronic view finder (EVF) such as settings that adjust the image are seen at the time of the shot. However, the precise and clear image of a DSLR VF plus no power needed work well for me. My primary shooting target over the years has been people vs. scenary or whatever. So, for example, when doing a candid I want to track the facial expression so as to fire at the exact moment of best expression. The clear image I see with my DSLR allows me to the do that. The DSLR OFV also gives me the view I want in any other type of shot as well.

That said, I am getting used to the LCD on my smart phone and on the compact digitals I have been exploring. Not my best choice, but they are OK for the types of shots I take with that type of camera. I "do" find that on a compact with a long lens it would be nice to hold the camera to my face to assist in steadying that I don't find by holding the camera away from my face for LCD viewing.

I'm one of those that goes way back in using and comparing view finders. I started medium format film shooting with a Mamiya double lens reflex camera w/interchangeable lens. Each lens also contained a viewfinder lens as well - just like the Rolliflex cameras. I also had several "through the camera" viewfinders vs. through the lens. Those type had markings to adjust what my eye was seeing vs. what the lens was seeing.

I should have clarified that the viewfinder on my SX20 is a through-the-lens image.

The OVF vs EVF debate has been raging in the photography world for years. I own both an EVF and an OVF DSLR and I use them both on a regular basis. I really can't tell the difference between them. I have no trouble using either one for fast action BIF shots. Most people who complain about the lag with an EVF based DSLR have never used one. They usually base their opinion on P&S and bridge cameras with an EVF. On those types of cameras the lag is unacceptable. On a DSLR (actually SLT) like my Sony a55 there is simply no lag. What I see is what I get when I press the shutter.

One of the huge advantages of an SLT with an EVF is the incredibly fast frame rate that is almost impossible with all but the most very expensive DSLRs. My a55 does 10 frames per second. To get a Canon that does 10 fps requires spending thousands more just for the body alone. And then you have to get a full frame camera which is not good at all for BIF shots due to the weight and the lack of a crop sensor. Check out the images of the Owl in flight I posted recently to see why I love my 10 fps.

Hi,

Regarding the Samsung WB100 camera discussed above; it arrived today, but so far I haven't taken any photos with it. I will say the that the ergonomics and particularly the inital set up were the best I've seen on any camera. Setup in particular makes sense and is simply intuitive! While I do intend to download snd read the manual, it really isn't necessary for any common operation.
More when I've learned more.

Ernie

Ernie - Roni got hers the other day and was having some problems seeing the screen in bright sun. She was holding the camera away from her body and that just doesn't work on any LCD. Keep the screen a few inches from your face and you will see the screen better and won't shake the camera as much.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Charlie13
Back
Top Bottom