Why your dogs should be on a leash!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Just Don

It doesn?t matter how friendly your dogs are they should be
leashed in any camp grounds!!!

So let me tell the story or incident as it should be called, to this day I still get a headache thinking of it.
Being up early is some thing I can't help. But trying to come up with some thing to do and not bother other
people is even harder.

So we where park at a COE CG in AR and it was before 8am when I decided to go and dump black water tank.
Wow for this time of the year it was really nice out this morning. Birds where sing, squirrels where being
squirrely and mocking birds where mocking! This is actually what I recall from the previous morning, but not of this day.
So I go gather up my honey pot and quietly pull it around to the dumping valve, I have another valve at the end of pipe
to control the flow operation. So hooking up the hose making sure every things ago.
I'M in a position butt up in the air head down closer to what I'M doing. (yes I have learned to squat, us my legs not my back).
About that time I feel some thing go up my butt(so to speak, I was getting a crouch sniff). I'M fully dress let me point this out.
Well reacting to the intrusion and the invasion of my privacy area. I stood up rather quickly.(I also don?t like doctors and
prostate exams) Can you imagine I forgot my slide was there, of course the corner wasn?t a good place to hit it. Having a
hard head I probably moved the slide or rv. So a little while later when I woke up the birds and stars where so pretty, of course
it went along with the headache and the stupid dog French kissing me. It took a while before I started actually being able to focus.
Realizing this wasn't a dream and wasn't some sexy lady trying to run there tongue down my throat, but I think it did bring me to.
It had rained that night so I was actually now laying in mud, blood and no beer.

So after getting my sh** together and taking several swings at the neighbors well behaved mutt.(he was faster than me in my
near vegetable state, not being a violent guy I?d wish to trash him terribly and would have choked him) My head was bleeding it
was all over. How long I laid there I don?t know.

I went to talk with them before going to the ER for stitches. So after doing the Texas two step( you know two steps forward one
step back, circle) to my great neighbors RV they assured me that there well behaved mutt (his name was Wolf, it was amazing
when they called him, WOOLF WOLF going around the CG, always sound like they where barking) wouldn?t bother or hurt us all,
as I stood there with blood trickling down my face and off my chin. Of course it wasn?t that there dog intending to hurt me, so it
seemed it was my fault, isn?t it always.

Why the dog did this I don?t think I was in heat. I wasn't dress provocatively or did I try to entice or lead him on! Or neither
did I have milk bone dog biscuits underwear on, you know the ones, right there eatable.

After going to ER and a few stitches and only costing $300+/- (this would have paid for a month at COE) for trying to dump my
black tank. Cost would have been great if I had x-rays to check for concussion!
What was I thinking stupid me rules are to be broken, I should have dumped the black water on the ground, right!(COE would
have came down on me like a heard of turtles or a load of bricks) So going back to CEO CG I was going to talk to neighbors about
bill, imagine that. Low and behold they decide to leave three days early and was gone.

Yes it?s okay to laugh about this every one does when I tell it, I do also, but there for a week I had a headache.
Go a head and let those mutt?s run wild damn the rules. Ever time a dog runs up wanting to sniff my crouch I now get a head
ache and feel violated all over again. Don?t let it hurt your feelings if I take a kick at your mutt's head, it?s just a natural tick I have
developed.
You know it was all my fault!
Don Gertz Jr

Sorry to hear of your ordeal, and I would have certainly held the offending mutt (no matter how well behaved) so you could have launched a well deserved kick in the chops mo matter how many tries it took to focus.

There is no excuse for failing to control your dog. None. Especially when the "furry kid" comes along on a trip to a PUBLIC place where there could easily be people who do not appreciate the intrusion of a cold nose where the sun seldom shines.

It might be worth a trip to the office to inquire about the occupants of the site and ask if they might have just moved within the CG. If you explain the desire to discuss medical bills resulting from their lack of controlling the dog, you may find information made available to you.

Understand, I'm a dog lover and we travel with our dog wherever we go... and she's ALWAYS on a leash with one of those convenient bag dispensers attached to the handle.

Isn't this the same post you made on the other forum?  I am wondering who has more issues here.  You or the dog?

If this is posted on another forum, all the better to make pet owners aware of the problems their "well behaved" pets can cause.

You cannot deny the OP for a little aggravation for being forced to deal with something that should have never happened in the first place.

I side with the OP on this one.

We travel with our dog, but we also recognize the responsibility of pet ownership. We take our dog with us wherever we go and if the dog isn't allowed we don't go. As far as leashes are concerned, I agree that ALL dogs, cats, pets in general should be leashed, and/or controlled at ALL times. We don't leave our dog alone in the RV... Our dog loves to YAP whenever he is left alone for a long period of time, so we just take him with us.

We are leaving on our extended journey this week, and one of our stops is the Oregon wine country. We have arranged for a dog sitter for a day while Susan and I go and sip wine. There is a  responsibility to properly control, and care for our pets...there should be no exceptions to this rule, in my opinion.

maverickbbd said:
Isn't this the same post you made on the other forum? I am wondering who has more issues here.  You or the dog?
Apparently you do Maverick!
There are rules in the forums, but not about making statements in other forums, surely not one.
(can some one see if there is?)
This still America right?

Our previous dog was a little agressive to other dogs, but he was very well trained.  All bets are off though, if an unleashed dog came into his space.  It could have been nasty.  There is a reason that campgrounds have leash laws.

Now let me get this straight...all this came about because a dog running loose sniffed somebody's butt, right?  Excuse me, I don't think I'll say any more.

1joester2 said:
Sorry to hear of your ordeal, and I would have certainly held the offending mutt (no matter how well behaved) so you could have launched a well deserved kick in the chops mo matter how many tries it took to focus.

Why kick a dog just for being a dog?

Being a dog lover, if I observed you (anyone) delivering that "well deserved kick in the chops", I would be very tempted to arrange for you to experience just how that feels. 

Any school teachers out there?  Sounds like my child would never do that....a dog is some people's child. Can never do wrong.

As a USCOE campground Host, I know for a fact that filling a report with the COE that the offending dog owner would have been held liable and received a citation from the Corps via the US Postal system. Also the Corps is liable for the doctor and emergency room costs. In any case a incident report should have been taken by the Campground hosts and forwarded up the chain of command. Since the incident happened in Arkansas that would be.
          Little Rock District
          Public  Affairs Office
          P.O. Box 867
          Little Rock,AR 72203-0867
          Phone # 501-324-5551
If it was me, I would contact them with a complaint at least.

Lee

Problem is Not the dog. I agree the dog did nothing wrong. There would be no issue if the owners would obey the rules and keep the dog leashed. There are many folks who are terrified by loose dogs, friendly or not. How would they know that the dog approaching them is friendly??

ken

1joester2 said:
Understand, I'm a dog lover and we travel with our dog wherever we go... and she's ALWAYS on a leash with one of those convenient bag dispensers attached to the handle.
For a dog lover, that remark surprise me. As other have said "It's the owner" . My feeling is that there are no dumb dogs, just dumb owners.

I agree it wasn't the dogs fault and I wouldn't kick a dog unless to protect someone
or myself.

About the tick and kicking a dog it was a joke.

As a Park Host I have nothing against people bringing their pets along with them into the park, but I do insist that all Guests comply with Title 36. [Rules and Regulations governing public use of Corps of Engineers Water Resources Development Projects] which states that they must be under physical control of the owners at all times. 
I don't fault the animal when it's owners are at fault for not obeying the rules. Leaving without making sure that the injured camper was indeed OK! and without a concussion is inexcusable, and casts a bad light on all campers that travel with their furry dependents.

On a lighter note:
I was at a Park that had a no pets policy, and when asked if I had any pets, I said "Just One" the Manager said, "Sorry No Pets" I turned to the wife, and said "Sorry, You can't stay here." Sort of flustered the Lady then we all had a good laugh and I signed in.

Lee

Thanks for posting that story Just Don....... you are quite a good writer BTW......

My wife and I both read that, turned to each other and said, "But for the grace of God go we".......

We are terrible about letting our little mutt follow us out of the camper and walk with us. Sometimes he wanders around the campsite unleashed and once in awhile will wander to the next campsite if we don't pay attention. It will NEVER happen again.

Your story really got to us and I can see how easily something like that could happen. However, had we been your neighbor in this case, I would not only have rushed you to the ER, I would have paid the bill and provided you with my insurance info, in case there were later affects. I'm a bit sick that someone would do what they did and I personally would have called the police, if I were in your shoes.

As for "Kicking the dog".... anyone that actually took that seriously needs to get a grip..... the story was written with such kind humor that it was pretty obvious that you said that "tongue in cheek".

BTW..... would you mind if I post that story on another forum that I visit...... I think that it's a worth while reminder to all of us.

Wavery said:
Thanks for posting that story Just Don....... you are quite a good writer BTW......

My wife and I both read that, turned to each other and said, "But for the grace of God go we".......

We are terrible about letting our little mutt follow us out of the camper and walk with us. Sometimes he wanders around the campsite unleashed and once in awhile will wander to the next campsite if we don't pay attention. It will NEVER happen again.

Your story really got to us and I can see how easily something like that could happen. However, had we been your neighbor in this case, I would not only have rushed you to the ER, I would have paid the bill and provided you with my insurance info, in case there were later affects. I'm a bit sick that someone would do what they did and I personally would have called the police, if I were in your shoes.

As for "Kicking the dog".... anyone that actually took that seriously needs to get a grip..... the story was written with such kind humor that it was pretty obvious that you said that "tongue in cheek".

BTW..... would you mind if I post that story on another forum that I visit...... I think that it's a worth while reminder to all of us.

Waverly your more than welcome to post it.
And thanks for your kind words.
Don Gertz Jr

I am a Park Host for the Corps.  I don't see where the Corps is responsible for your bills, but I do believe the pet owners are 100% responsible.  It's also possible that their own insurance might cover their debt to you, but that's up to them, not you to figure out.

The dog does not deserve one iota of punishment nor a inhumane kick in the chops. He was doing what dogs do. It's the irresponsible owners that needed to have their dog under their control at all times and obey the rules.

I love watching Judge Judy and she loves handling dog cases. Having seen her in action following the letter of the law,  in numerous dog cases, I do believe she would order the pet owners to pay your medical bills. She would also probably give them a severe verbal thrashing.

Now being a dog owner who travels fulltime with my super friendly mutt and knowing he likes to follow me outside all the time and then back in again, I have set up plan B at nearly all my temporary camp sites.

My Plan B is I set up an outside tether that contains him to my area.  When I wander outside to do something, I put him on the outside tether. He can follow me around while I poke through the basement or  fuss with something.  I enjoy sitting outside dining, writing, reading, repairing and so on. He is attached to his tether and able to hang out on the RV patio area with me. Most often he is sitting in his little camp chair right next to my camp chair, but his tether is attached.  His tether can't reach the other campers.  I do not leave him out there alone either.

It only takes a few seconds to hook or unhook him on his tether. 

If the weather is nice, my front door is often open and he drags his tether in and out as I go in and out doing things. When I am ready to go inside and stay put, I take him off his tether and bring him inside with me and shut the door. It's only a few seconds to hook him on his tether or his leash. Sometimes my tether is just a flexi-leash attached to a jumbo snap hook that is attached to a rod on my RV step or back ladder.

The jumbo snap hook is sturdy and can attach to his leash also. I use it all the time, because I can slide it over my forearm like a bracelet, freeing up both hands to do something like hook up the utilities. When I set up camp, the dog is excited to get out of the RV as much as me, so his leash is dangling off the snap hook  which is slid over my forearm. I have both hands to handle the hookups and my dog is firmly attached to me with his leash.

I sympathize with you entirely.  I like all animals, but an allergic to dogs and do not like even friendly dogs to come up and sniff me or slobber over my legs when I am wearing shorts.  It is just rude of people to let dogs do that, even if they are on the required leash.

I was in a state park in Arizona last fall for 6 days where the people across the road from me tied their huge Bouvier out on a 6' leash to a small tree at the roadside edge of their corner site.  (Starting every morning at 6:00 am, of course.)  He lunged and barked at everyone who walked by and especially barked and lunged at anyone with a small dog.  Even though he was tied, I could see walkers jump as they came around the corner and were startled by the dog.  Even if it was just show and the dog would never have bitten anyone, it was not a pleasant experience for most people walking by. 

Considering that they had a 5th wheel, two pickup trucks, four adults, five teenaged boys, and two tents, it was way too many people and stuff for a single site to begin with. (The limit per site was 10 people.)  The dog problem could have been solved by tying him closer to the 5th wheel or to a different tree back farther.  They had a smaller, non-lunging dog that WAS tied farther back. 

I understand why people want to travel with their pets, but some are just blind about how they believe others should react to their beloved pets.  Or they just don't care. 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom