Trip out West

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I did 2 hours in Cody and had enough.  It's all up to what you like.  To me I enjoyed the Yellowstone/Teton area way more.  The views in Cody are bland and its a touristy kinda place.  I live in Florida and know what touristy is and can't stand it when I travel.  (one reason I avoid Gatlinburg, TN)  But, you may like it better.  Either way, it sounds like you have a great trip planned. 

In Cody, the Buffalo Bill Museum is huge and is actually comprised of five separate museums.  We spent two days just in the museums.  See http://centerofthewest.org/ to learn about it.  Because you're going to Yellowstone the Draper Natural History Museum should be of special interest because its focus is Yellowstone, the geology, the critters, etc.  We went to Cody after Yellowstone and first would have been better.  The museum complex has so much to offer that it shouldn't be missed.

ArdraF

Pup said:
Thanks Carl. Tires look good but hear so many horror stories about the cheap things that come on campers I was just wondering.

All tires age, cheap tires, expensive tires.    5 year is getting old, 7 years is too old -- whether they roll or they sit on a shelf.  Unlike cars and trucks, RV tread wear is not a major factor like age -- RVs spend most of their operating life parked.  Check the age code on your tires and do the arithmetic.    7 years from the code date is time that they need to be replaced.

Anyone know how I can bookmark this thread for future reference?  This is the trip I may be planning for 2015, and its so chock full of useful stuff, I don't want to lose it!  But I'm not ready to plan yet.

Save this URL as a bookmark in your browser.  Another option is to use the Print button and save the entire topic as a PDF (if you have a PDF printer) or on paper, but you won't get future messages that way.

Thanks, Ned.  As soon as I read that I thought, "Duh!"  I guess I haven't had enough caffeine yet.....

Okay, We have first two weeks planned. What are some places between the Tetons and Grand Canyon. Might be a bit too far but looking at going there and then hitting I-40 back to N.C.

Fyrestorm said:
I did 2 hours in Cody and had enough.  It's all up to what you like.  To me I enjoyed the Yellowstone/Teton area way more.  The views in Cody are bland and its a touristy kinda place.  I live in Florida and know what touristy is and can't stand it when I travel.  (one reason I avoid Gatlinburg, TN)  But, you may like it better.  Either way, it sounds like you have a great trip planned. 

I would have to disagree on Cody - the museum there is a whole day at least and one of the best westerns museums in the country...also going the other may from Yellowstone and hit Meteese, WY - great old western town with the bast bar and one of the oldest in the country in continued operation, still have bullet holes in the ceiling from when they arrested Butch Cassidy there...

Worth a day trip down there anyway and the best ribs in Wyoming.

Have a great trip....

Jim

PUP,

If you are looking to get over towards Yellowstone, my itinerary may be helpful, as well. My avg going long distance to get out west is about 350-400 miles/day (5-6 hours). When I zero in on scenic destinations (like Arches), I slow down to roughly 250 miles/day (~4 hours). Ever 3-4 days, I need to stop and soak up the scenery on location. It worked well for when I was in S Dakota last year.

I want to see a lot. I can take it a little slower when I get older, but this is where I am at now. The attached is my 4-week journey this summer.  I have a separate Activities page, as well as Campground/Lodgings page so I can keep track of where I have or have not made reservations. I usually reserve my destination spots as it anchors my trip and...it gets pretty busy out there and I want to stay at a place with full hook-ups and gorgeous surroundings.

My Objectives:
1) I have got to get out to Salt Lake City to meet my mother and niece and nephew (who are flying), but I still have to make the trip out interesting for my 14yo son. We will then tour up to Glacier, then down to Yellowstone.
2) We drop the other half back of in SLC and drive down to Las Vegas to meet my husband (and get full running hot showers!!!!). At that time , he joins us for the trip back. He has only been in resorts out West, not in the back country, so I want to overwhelm him with the gorgeousness (sp? word even?) of Utah and Colorado.
3) Book it back home to get my son ready for school!

Hope this helps!

Samantha

Attachments

• Trip 2014.pdf
    222.4 KB · Views: 13
Only a month away from our big trip!! Anybody got some last minute advice or input?

Pup > You may want to post your current route so that people might offer some tips and such. I leave next week from Bluffton, SC for my 4 week trip, very similar to yours, and I went the route to SD last year.

In fact, I was just looking at a cool video I put together of the sights along the way, I'll share with you...this will get you pumped up!
http://video214.com/play/HdCDbzthecgEP9sU37sYZw/s/dark

I published my route and got some really good feedback that altered my course significantly to much more memorable roads. Of course, that depends on if you are trying to see a little bit of stuff on your way out or if you are driving like a bat out of hell on the way out. I prefer to get out to my location, but stop once a day to see something interesting. For instance, I was going to take I-70 out to Denver, then someone pointed out a slightly lower Hwy route that takes me by an underground salt mine....I am so psyched!

I am so excited for your trip! You can never see SD for the first time, again, so enjoy it all!

Samantha

PS > I just realized I can share my Google Map. Some of these location may be of interest to you, so feel free to send me any questions on them. https://mapsengine.google.com/map/edit?mid=z4u8-RINmcLk.kdd6DhAeORUs

Well we are 10 days into our trip and having a blast!! All stops have been worth the time and money. Have been to Devil's Tower, Mnt. Rushmore, Crazy Horse, Custer Park and Wildlife Loop, Sturgis, Deadwood, Needles Highway,Beartooth Pass, Chief Joseph Hwy.,Cook City, Red Lodge, Buffalo Bill Museum and of course the Cody Rodeo. Been very busy but we go into Yellowstone tomorrow for five nights at Fishing Bridge so I think we can slow the pace down a little. Thanks again to all that helped plan all this. Will post again in a week or so when I get service again. PUP

So happy to hear it. You are in for such a surprise with Yellowstone. I was there two weeks ago. So much better than I ever imagined. Totally loved Grand Tetons. So hope you make it there, too. We were fortunate enough to be within 20 yards (unplanned) of a momma moose and her  calf(?).

Samantha I am planning to go to the Tetons after Yellowstone.Any advice on a place to stay? Thanks

I envy the time you have at Yellowstone. So many surprises around every corner. Just loved it!

Sure, we stayed at Colter Bay Village as they have full hookups for RVs. We thought it would seem crowded, but it really didn't. You are under pine trees and it is such a great location. The activities building, supermarket, etc is right around the corner. We went on a nice 2.5 hour trail ride and the staff were wonderful, horses were nice and the ride was gorgeous - corrals just right down the road. We also did the Fire & Ice boat tour and glad that we did. We learned a lot about the Grand Tetons and it's the closest you can get other than serious backcountry hiking.

Everyone will tell you where it is best to see moose and most point to Moose-Wilson Road. You access it by heading down Teton Park Road hugging the lake.  You'll come across Jackson Lake Lodge which was built by Rockefeller....stunning views of Grand Tetons. Can't recall Signal Mountain Lodge. Jenny Lake Lodge is tiny and really just for visitors. You'll come across a Chapel on your left and will see Moose-Wilson road on your right with directions to Teton Village (it is on park map). It is forbidden to bring your RV/trailer down this road.

We saw several moose. In fact, I was shooting a baby and then looked up to realize the mama had come out of nowhere and was within 30 yards or less of me. It's like paparazzi when a moose appears, so be ready!

Teton Village (ski resort) was neat to visit and we had a delicious dinner at the Mangy Moose.

Not sure whether you are having difficulties with this, but we kept asking for the town of Jackson Hole. There is no town of Jackson Hole, just the Jackson Hole Mountain Resort and the town of Jackson. The "Hole" is referencing the whole valley. A-ha! Perhaps you are brighter than us! My mother was disappointed in the town of Jackson as she said it had become too commercialized and had lost its charm. I still enjoyed it.

If you let me know your route home, I may be able to offer some great finds and tips we discovered along the way. We went south out of Jackson to Afton, WY (great Mexican food at Juan's House of Tacos in Thayne) to see the Intermittent Spring. We hiked to the top (which was breathtaking) and were a bit disappointed as it seems that someone has monkeyed with the access to the springs source by building concrete reinforcements and a damper. No explanations on this anywhere. Hmmm.... However, we did get surprised by a young male moose that came bounding down the trail on the opposite side of the stream we were walking along.

My best to you! Enjoy!!

Samantha

Attachments

• Momma-Moose-and-Calf.jpg
    Momma-Moose-and-Calf.jpg
    230 KB · Views: 9

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MoeHoward