Trip out West

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Pup said:
How many days should I allow for sight seeing in the Mount Rushmore area ?
I did a western loop trip last summer, in July and August.  I was packing light, just me, my Suzuki DL650, tent and sleeping bag.  Mt. Rushmore was one of my overnight stops, and it was well worth it.  In truth though, there wasn't much else there of interest to me, and I had seen everything after a day. 
One thing that you'll encounter in the summer months is really severe crosswinds and when heading west, headwinds.  I've traveled by motorhome from Atlanta to Idaho twice, and the winds pushing me around are some of the most enduring memories.  Had similar fun on the bike.  In fact, there were hours at a time where I was leaning into the wind just to keep going straight. 
Give yourself plenty of time in Yellowstone.  I'd stay there 3-4 days at least.  If you are the "get out and hike up to the waterfall" type, plan even more time.  Camping sites inside the park can be tough to get, but there are a number of National Forest Campgrounds just outside the main gates (within 2-20 miles) which I found had plenty of vacancies. 
I returned via Utah, Colorado, New Mexico, Texas, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Tennessee to Georgia.  It was early August and yes it was pretty darned hot.  However I camped at pretty high elevation in Utah and Colorado, and it cooled off nicely at night.  Texas and Arkansas were a different story.  Miserable nights there.  I actually checked into Motel in Amarillo and Van Buren.  But that was only because the Air Conditioner on my tent was not working properly! 
Sounds like you have a great trip planned, hope you enjoy it.

Thanks everybody. I was thinking 3 to 4 days so thats the plan. [With the option to change my mind!] Actually trying to not make any reservations except at Fishing Bridge in Yellowstone. Any comments on that idea?

Pup said:
Thanks everybody. I was thinking 3 to 4 days so thats the plan. [With the option to change my mind!] Actually trying to not make any reservations except at Fishing Bridge in Yellowstone. Any comments on that idea?
That is the way I travel. I don't like reservations because it makes changing plans too difficult. I never have any problems finding a place to stay.

SeilerBird, Do you think I should even make reservations at Fishing Bridge? I really want to stay inside Yellowstone but want to make sure I have a hook-up and as you know this is the only place.

We stayed at Yellowstone last summer. If you don't make reservations for Fishing Bridge, you will not get a space. And you're likely not to get a camping spot inside the park at all. We managed 3 nights without hookups reserving a week out. We could not get more than that. That said, there's a nice forest service campground just north of West Yellowstone that you can usually get into early in the day.

Thanks Wendy. Thats what I figred from all the reading I have done and with my trip being in August I dont want to be without the A/C at night. Hopefully a non issue during the day as I hope to be out and about!

Pup said:
SeilerBird, Do you think I should even make reservations at Fishing Bridge? I really want to stay inside Yellowstone but want to make sure I have a hook-up and as you know this is the only place.
Yes you should. You won't get in otherwise. You can get into Madison and Mammoth without reservations but they don't have hookups.

Pup said:
Thanks Wendy. Thats what I figred from all the reading I have done and with my trip being in August I dont want to be without the A/C at night. Hopefully a non issue during the day as I hope to be out and about!
Do you really run the A/C at night? I have never done that, even when living in Arizona all summer.

While visiting Yellowstone, I stayed in the Wapiti campground between Cody and the park.  It was about 25 miles from the East entrance and had an electric loop and a non-electric loop (where I stayed).  There were some pretty big RV's staying in the electric side.  Three Mile park is only 3 miles (thus the name) from the East entrance and has electric and RV pull throughs.  You may have much better luck finding space at one of these because EVERYONE wants to stay inside the park.  When I was there, Yellowstone's north loop road was like an LA Freeway at rush hour.  Traffic crept along, and was dominated by RV's, big SUV's, and Bison.  (Yes, Bison!).  Sitting on my Suzuki 650, the bison looked particularly huge when walking right up to my front fender for a sniff!  When I tried to make my reservations, I was told that 1) Most inside the park sites are booked solid months in advance, and 2) There's no tent camping at any of them due to the animal hazards.  Hopefully your experience will be better.  I also could not camp at Three Mile due to hard-side only restrictions.  Apparently the Grizzly bears are a potential issue at all the in-park campgrounds and anything near the borders.  Even 25 miles out, where I was sleeping in my 2 man tent, I felt pretty exposed.  Nights were cool though, no need for A/C up at those elevations.

As a long-time Palm Springs area resident, I want to point out that it's not always scorching in the Southern California deserts in August.  There were two days last August that actually dipped way down into the high 90's!  We all went outside and made sand angels!

I lived in Palm Desert for several years...............I guess I kind of still do since we still own a house there.  I found the wife a job in San Diego and we moved to Alpine.  Now, we avoid the desert in the summer if at all possible.  We keep asking ourselves, "What were we thinking?" 

We were up last weekend and it was very nice.  We have our eyes open for a place with an RV garage up there so we can full time to cooler climes in the summer and live in the desert in the winter, as soon as the wife retires.

We were at Yellowstone on mid-July last year. There is no way you will need the a/c at night. Nighttime temperatures at those altitudes are delightful. And you WILL need reservations for any Yell campground in August. When we were there, there was a line at 7 am every morning of campers trying to get spaces in the non-hookup campgrounds.

I guess a lot has changed in Yellowstone in the last three years. Must be a whole lot more RVers and campers. I never had any problem finding a campsite in August without reservations.

Its easy to spend a month in South Dakota
Mt Rushmore
Crazy Horse Memorial
Badlands
Wall
Mitchell
Sturgis

We spent 2 weeks there and then carried on to Yellowstone for a week.
Great trip....have fun

In 2012 DW and I stayed at the Forrest Service Camp Ground just north of the West Gate. This is a very nice camp ground. There was a notice that a bear had been seen the morning of the day that we arrived but we did not see any while we were there. The camp ground was 4-5 miles north of the town of West Yellowstone and was very quite.

OK I am back with a new question. Should I consider putting new tires on before the trip and if so should I upgrade to load range E. Tires are 3 years old. Thanks

Pup said:
OK I am back with a new question. Should I consider putting new tires on before the trip and if so should I upgrade to load range E. Tires are 3 years old. Thanks

No.  You are good for about 7 years based on age.  My rule was replace all at first failure after 5 years and in any case always after 7.  This assumes good tread and sidewall condition.

Upgrade to E?  I would cross that bridge when you come to it.

Thanks Carl. Tires look good but hear so many horror stories about the cheap things that come on campers I was just wondering.

Pup, here's a 3 day itinerary in the Black Hills that was suggested to me.  It covers the big things.  If you can add a 4th even better.  I have 2 days to drive from Glacier NP and 3 full days to stay in the Hills.  I am camping at Sylvan Lake which is in the middle of the park.

My Itinerary

July 18th: Drive Day, see Devils Tower, arrive Sylvan Lake Campground in afternoon and set up
July 19th: Jewel Cave NM, Crazy Horse Memorial and drive the Needles scenic Hwy
July 20th: Leave early, See the Badlands, Drive Iron Mtn Rd to sightsee and Mount Rushmore in evening for the lighting
July 21st: Wildlife Loop, Wind Cave NP, Mammoth Site
July 22nd: Leave for RMNP

Thank You Fyrestorm. You think one night in Cody is enough? I have got to get my itenerary figured out so I can nail down my dates at Fishing Bridge before it fills up.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Oldlawnman
Back
Top Bottom