Backing a 36' into driveway.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

smacdiesel

Greetings everyone!  I'm planning on storing my new 36' Winnebago on my driveway and I'm concerned whether or not I will be able to make the turn while backing in, I live on a residential street that is a standard two lane width.  Never backed an RV before, I take delivery in August and just wondering if it can be done.  I realize that the turning radius is pretty good with these and my situation resembles most campgrounds, just a little concerned.  I really don't want to pay for a space somewhere, thanks!!

How long is a string?

It all depends doesn't it?  Your question leaves us without the information we need to help you. Generally speaking if you have a 2 lane road in front you'll have plenty of room to back in. What we don't know is if there are trees, or mailboxes, or a narrow driveway, or it's on a hill or in a valley, etc.

If you have lightposts on either side of a one lane width driveway right at the street, then you might not make it. If you have a steep driveway up to your house then the trailer hitch will likely scrape as you try to back in. If you have a wide water run-off ditch in the street before your driveway you might drag also. If you have neighbors that park on the street and take some of the width it may hamper your ability to get in or out. I live near a city park and when the baseball season is on, the two lane road becomes one lane quickly with all the cars parked haphazardly.

So the general answer is yes it probably will be ok. But if you have some of the items listed above, you may need to be creative to get it in.

Ken

Odds are it will fit just fine if your street is a standard size street. Just be careful and take your time. Always get out and look the environment over before backing, (don't forget to look at potential hazards that could hit the roof). Whenever possible, have a spotter with a walkie-talkie, walking behind/alongside your RV, in your rear view mirror, looking for potential hazards.

One of the best things you can do is find a big lot somewhere, put out a few cones and practice backing into an area the size of your driveway. Practice making turns and measure the side-swing of the rear of your coach (how much it swings out from the rear wheels when turning sharply). Learn how to interpret your mirrors and backup camera.

There are also some easy-to-find videos online that talk about backing and turning RVs that new motorhome owners should watch. Just take your time and you'll get the hang of it.

(Oh yeah, welcome to the forum! :) )

Kev

If you are using a spotter, make sure that they know that if they can't see you in the side mirrors, you can't see them. STOP backing up and wait till they are in sight in the mirror. Don't move until they get the picture. Some spotters never learn. I know from experience.

Thanks for the input!  I have a two car driveway and the only obstruction is a telephone pole on one side, it's level with no incline or decline.  I do have picket fence that I think I'll move over a bit to help with the rear overhang while backing in, I'll measure the street later today.  Thanks again for the helpful advice!!

Don't forget to look for obstructions across the street as well. It's real easy to stay focused on what's behind you and smack your neighbor's mailbox with the front end of the rig.

I back our 40 foot Diesel Pusher into a single wide driveway with brick columns on both sides from a street that is barely wide enough for 2 cars to pass, so it can be done.  My street does not have curbs so I have a little bit of shoulder to work with, but your situation should be doable.  As someone else suggested, get some cones and go to a parking lot and mark off how wide you street and driveway are and practice.  I think you will get the hang of it with practice and will be able to park it like a pro.

Dan

I back my 36 MH into my yard from a 2 lane residential street all the time. It all depends on your chassis wheel cut and clearances. I widened my gate though to a 12" gate just to give me a little more leeway. I honestly believe I could back a 45' into my yard but I might have to use a little of my neighbors swale to do it.  Like Dan, I do not have curbs in my neighborhood but the swale area is about 10' wide between the road and the side walk. With the 36' I don't get into my neighbor's swale. He as well as I have palm trees planted in that area.

We have a 37' and I can get mine in without any issues  just take your time and make sure you have someone watching the first few times to make sure there is nothing in the way....... BTW I can also get my 20' deck open trailer in the driveway with the Motor home with no issues also LOL

Thanks again for the help, my wheelbase is 242 " which means the rear sticks out about 14 ' ? :eek:
I believe it should not be a problem, I don't take delivery until August.  Thanks!!!

get  yourself a backup camera with the lines that show you the space your mh will occupy I got one and it is the best thing I ever bought it made backing up supper easy.

canuckrv said:
get  yourself a backup camera with the lines that show you the space your mh will occupy I got one and it is the best thing I ever bought it made backing up supper easy.
The best thing is to have a spotter (wife, neighbor, etc.), preferably someone you get along with. :)

Jim Godward said:
Who ever the spotter is MUST look UP to be sure you are not getting into branches, eves, etc.

AND most importantly one must have the common sense to trust their spotter...don't ask how I know (twice)...

Never backed an RV before, I take delivery in August and just wondering if it can be done.
IMO a driveway in front of your house is probably not the best time or place to try backing up the first time. Find a location between your house and dealer such as a park or school with a large parking lot without obstructions. Pull in and practice backing and turning with your spotter for 20-30 minutes and you confidence level will improve. This will also allow the spotter to know what you are looking for regarding signals or speech if you use radios. Do not allow the pressure to make you try and hurry when backing in, take your time and all will go well. Congrats on the new rig and welcome to the forum.

I have a 32' MH.  When I first got it, I tried parking it in my driveway.  I didn't take into consideration the rear overhang.  I got stuck.  Fortunately I had some scrape wood around and was able to back it out.  Your spotter should check your ground clearance to avoid doing what I did.

I back my 35' MH into my driveway frequently. A single width driveway from a standard 2 lane residential road, but the road does have some shoulders so it is a bit wider than just 2 lanes. My biggest issue has been my driveway has a slight incline and I drag if I do not put boards at the end of the driveway to lift the rear of the coach a bit before the wheels go into the curb drop area at the edge of the road.
Sometimes I have had to back up and then pull forward a bit to get the right angle, but it can be done without much issue.
If you have any angle, have some 2X6 or larger boards available to pull across as you start up the driveway.

Safe Travels,
David

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tim Dunn
Back
Top Bottom