Surge Protectors

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I went with the Progressive Industries EMS-LCHW50 hard wired unit. I like the life time warranty and the excellent customer service- install was easy, I took my time and made sure the location was right. (I camp with 2 retired electrical engineers so I had to get it right!) my biggest obstacle was cutting the 50 amp wires, I used my small bolt cutters and a utility knife to strip the wires. other than that it is really basic.
the reason I went with the hard wired unit was that it is always hooked up, I could see myself forgetting to plug in the potable unit. I installed the hard wired unit so it will be easy to remove should we ever upgrade.
I really like the peace of mind that comes with having the protection, this year we had one friend fry their camper with bad power.

Rene T said:
So I guess that means there is no need to open up the cover to make a change just turn it off at the remote and this will bypass the protector in case of board failure. Is that right Ned?.

Yes, there is a bypass switch on the remote monitor panel that turns off the power protection and the display, but not the surge protection.  I've used that feature a few times when the power was marginally low, and the PI unit kept cycling on and off.  Since we weren't using the air conditioners/heat pumps, I just turned it off.

The internal bypass jumper is in the event the control board inside fails and disables the power pass through.

Ned said:
The internal bypass jumper is in the event the control board inside fails and disables the power pass through.

So I do need to think about where I'm going to mount it so I do have access to the cover.  Thanks Ned.

You probably will never have to access that feature so I wouldn't worry about it.  Mount it where it's easiest to install.  Mine's in the utility bay and I never look at it.

When I tried to mount one on my Bounder I found out that the connectors at both ends were too small for the gauge of wire it has.  I ended up with a portable one. 

Thanks for that heads up
I am looking at ordering this one. Any comments?
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003AN1UA8/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=1HACMXI2AGV6D&coliid=I3CMZ8INKBTYDX&psc=1

this is where I got mine from: http://rvsafety.net/index.php
I also got my TPMS from him too- great customer service.

Sr Fox said:
I am looking at ordering this one. Any comments?
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003AN1UA8/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=1HACMXI2AGV6D&coliid=I3CMZ8INKBTYDX&psc=1

That's the model that both we and Rene have.  We've been very pleased with it for the 6+ years we've owned it.  It's warned us about several power problems and is great for managing our power usage when connected to a 30A or 20A source.

Rene T said:
Ned,
I think you confused me with someone else. I don't have one yet but I'm going to get one when I get home.  ;) ;D

Then what was that discussion about accessing the internal jumper all about?  I thought you had already bought one and were trying to mount it.

Ned said:
Then what was that discussion about accessing the internal jumper all about?  I thought you had already bought one and were trying to mount it.

No, While reading up and asking questions to you guys about the surge protector, I came across the write-up about the internal jumper and I was just wondering if it was something that I needed to keep in mine when I do eventually purchase one and I find the best place to mount it. Sorry for the confusion.

I have the 30 amp version of the Progressive Ind hardwired unit.  Installed it in my utility "bay" which happens to be under the bed.....
Highly recommend it but I would suggest getting the remote display version.

We use the 50A hardwired SurgeGuard wouldn't leave home without it. We lost almost everything electrical including a satellite internet dish LNB from a campground surge to the tune of about $1000.00 give to take to fix everything. Now, not only do we use a hardwire unit we have all interior appliances plugged into surge protectors. I've also heard that if you have a surge it can fry the exterior electrical plug in connection before the hardwired surge protector. I might just be anal enough to put a portable 50A surge guard at the pedestal, at my size I have no desire to dive out the bedroom escape hatch god forbid!

balajiramarao said:
Dumb question.  Does one have a circuit diagram that helps connect the surge protector the RV?  Kind of how?

The built in models will come with a schematic showing how to connect it between the shore power cord and the transfer switch (if so equipped) or the RV power input line.  The portable models are just plugged into the pedestal and the shore power cord plugs into the protector.

Here's a video of the portable surge protector:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBKxlF2--9o 

Here's a video of a hardwired surge protector:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CSg2ryqE7U

We have the portable 30 amp Progressive unit.  Made in US, lifetime warranty.  Easy decision for us.

Back
Top Bottom