Irritating W-10

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I upgraded to W 10 (I use the term upgraded loosely) and wish I still had W7, but I am past the 30 free return.  I has been a major PIA.  Started with wiping out everything I had on my computer.  All folder, files etc.  Glad I have Carbonite.  The last update managed to keep me off the internet for a while with every web site I accessed being re-directed to secure.frontier.com.  Apparently every web site no longer has a valid security certificate.  Oh wait, today they do . . . GRRRRRR  Once back on line, you cannot call Microsoft, you have to contact them online, wait, my problem was I couldn't get online . . . .  I use Firefox, but every time I get an update windows tries to take over more territory on my computer & I have to launch a counter offensive to retake lost ground.  Given the option I would stay the heck away from W10

I too fail to see what I have to gain by being forced to upgrade to W10 ... my programs work ... my printers work ... I more or less know how things work ... ah, da????    Years back I had to trash a scanner because of upgrading the Operating system ... no new drivers that I could find.

I am really getting tired of the nag screen ...  :mad:

Howard

That article is way out of date.  The only reliable method I've found of controlling the update to Windows 10 is the GWX Control Panel.

Tom Hoffman said:
Looks like this thread has gone off in a direction not intended.  My chief irritation with MS and W-10 was and is the method chosen to try and compel users to change.  Constant harassment at the beginning with intrusive pop ups telling of our LIMITED TIME TO SWITCH FOR FREE. 

Have to agree with you 100 percent.  I have spent what seems like hours deleting those 'update' files that are nothing more than shills for inputting that Windows 10 install stuff.  I am old and set in my ways and proud of it.  I loved XP.  After suffering through a couple years of Windows ME, anything would be an  improvement.  Next new desk top had Windows 7 and I have come to like that very much but when it became obvious that I could not haul it in the coach, we bought another (wife already had one) laptop with Windows 8.  I am still not comfortable with that yet so going with Windows 10 just has no interest to me.  I am just one of those email and read web site guys so can see no benefits.  So I will try your file to delete all that W-10 upgrade hype.  It seems to have finally disappeared from the desktop W7 (after it told me this computer was not eligible for the free upgrade) but has increased in intensity on the w-8 laptop.  Good thread - shows a lot of different opinions.  Oh I also do not use Facebook or Twitter - which means I am now a nonperson on all those sites that only allow comments through a social media site.  Suits me fine.

Ned said:
That article is way out of date.  The only reliable method I've found of controlling the update to Windows 10 is the GWX Control Panel.
Seilerbird's link has the current GWX Control Panel download.  Works great.  Just used it and the W-10 icon has gone bye bye.

Oh I also do not use Facebook or Twitter - which means I am now a nonperson on all those sites that only allow comments through a social media site.  Suits me fine.

Bill, My sentiments exactly.  I am just paranoid enough to believe hanging your "Life" out for all to see on facebook or any other idiot social media site can't be good in the long haul.  I have yet to figure out why people feel it's OK to do it. 

Tom Hoffman said:
Oh I also do not use Facebook or Twitter - which means I am now a nonperson on all those sites that only allow comments through a social media site.  Suits me fine.

Bill, My sentiments exactly.  I am just paranoid enough to believe hanging your "Life" out for all to see on facebook or any other idiot social media site can't be good in the long haul.  I have yet to figure out why people feel it's OK to do it.

Same here . . .

I still using my Windows 7 home premium version and I have never had anything from MS telling me I need to update to Windows 10.  Infact I have been wondering why I have not received anything.  I think I would like to update to Windows 10 and have been waiting to receive something.  Two sides to every story!  Dick nvrver

Have a ball..https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

kdbgoat said:
I agree. We hang enough out on forums.

I believe most posters on the forums post for specific info, or to try and be a help to fellow RV'rs.  Very few spew every idiot thought that floats randomly between their ears.  My wife seems compelled to hang the most inane thoughts and pictures and videos that she comes across. 

I have told her time and again I want nothing regarding me posted on Facebook.  I would be perfectly content to be completely invisible to the Family and Friends who have to patronize it.

I feel my curmudgeon syndrome manifesting once again. ;D ;D ;D

I'm at the other end of the spectrum.  I like Windows 10.  A lot.  And I use FaceBook every day to stay in touch with friends & family all over the world.

I'd advise you to get a Mac but my luck with Macs is pretty bad lately.  I had to restore my Mac Mini (Christmas gift) twice before I got it set up the way I wanted.

Chrome is a good idea, but I've been in the business too long (since 1968) to put much trust in 'the cloud'.  It's OK as a backup but I wouldn't put my only copy of anything in it.  I'm also not fond of Google or anybody else capturing every keystroke and storing it 'in the cloud'.  First thing I'd do with a chrome book or box would be to put it into developer mode and load Ubuntu Linux.

Seriously, if you bite the bullet, ignore the negative hype, and spend a couple of weeks with it you'll probably like it.  If you're nervous about going back do a full disk backup to an external drive - I use ToDo backup (free) from www.majorgeeks.com.  No time limit on going back that way.

8Muddypaws said:
I'm at the other end of the spectrum.  I like Windows 10.  A lot.  And I use FaceBook every day to stay in touch with friends & family all over the world.

This is probably the most common statement I see from those who support and use social media and I don't criticize them for it.  But you know what?  I do the exact same thing with email and Skype.  I see good things and bad things about social media in the news but it seems lately that the bad is starting to outrun the good.  For a society that whines about privacy every five minutes, I have a hard time equating privacy with anything that happens on social media. 

One rule applies, "If you're not paying for it, you're the product".

8Muddypaws said:
Do you do your photo editing on a Mac?  Which app?
No I use Lightroom in Windows 10. However since I started using my Samsung S6 I have found that I rarely need to do much editing. The colors come out almost perfect every time and I rarely need to crop. It is the only reason I keep my Windows computer around, everything else I can do in my Chromebook. There are rumors that Adobe will be making a version for Android and for Chromebook and when that comes true I will be able to sell my windows machine. I do like W10 a lot but I like Chrome a lot better.

Being the new guy here on these forums I'll chime in on this subject as I am in the business.

I own a well established computer repair shop and based strictly on what  I have seen and people that I have talked to is that for the most part users are having a good experience and a flawless upgrade to Windows 10. Everything went smooth, without a hitch and their computer even seems to run faster.

On the other hand there are a fair amount of people that have had issues to some degree with the upgrade process or have troubles after the upgrade is complete. A wide range of issues that vary from user to user. Including the same exact issues that the members talk about here.

Most of the people I speak with, when it comes to the Windows 10 thing have no issues. The people who do have issues.... well I get to share in their frustrations as their Windows 10 headaches end up on my work bench.
A big issue I see is that users have an existing problem with their computer before the upgrade. Whether it be errors, running slow, popups etc... So in their mind they think that upgrading to Windows 10 will magically make all of those existing problems go away. That is a bad reason to try and upgrade as those original problems will most likely cause deeper issues after the upgrade.

Now there is another fair bit of users that have no original issues at all before the upgrade and they decide to give Windows 10 a try and wish they never did. This is in no way the fault of the user.

So I do see quite a few computers coming through my shop that have not played well with Windows 10 and I would say that most of those had no previous issue.

My point being is that if I am seeing these issues come through my shop at my one location it makes me wonder what the ratio really is of good experience vs bad experience really is and why is Microsoft using it's users as guinea pigs. I would have thought that they would have released this major upgrade AFTER it has been thoroughly tested just as they did with Windows 7.

Then there is the big change in the license agreement in Windows 10 that I will not get into.

I think Windows 10 is a great looking operating system and has some unique features. I am not sure of Microsoft's future intentions by releasing Window 10 for free. Call me skeptical.

Back
Top Bottom