EcoBoost vs. Tundra 5.7

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

partidak

Hey all,

I am new to the forum, but ready to make my first post. I am actively in the market for a Brand New truck. Let me start with what I have.

2013 Keystone Sprinter 277rls. Dry weight 7200lbs.
2005 Nissan Titan 4x4 100,000 miles

So the reason I am selling my truck is due to high mileage and wanting more power.
I am settled between the 2016 Tundra 5.7 SR5 4x4 Crew Max and the 2016 F-150 XLT EcoBoost 3.5 V6 Crew Cab 4X4. Now price aside since they are close, I am wondering what your guys thoughts are? Here are mine.

The Tundra will obviously out last the Ford but I only keep my trucks until about 100k miles.

On Paper the Ford tows more. But we all know the Tundra is capable of a lot more than paper shows. Aside from that, My total tow weight will fall under both of these.

Tundra has more room inside for sure and is probably more capable off road, cause lets be honest.... Toyota.

Let's hear from you guys.

Thanks 

Howdy,

Why not a Nissan Titan XD? It's supposed to be able to tow a lot more than either the F150 or the Tundra.

Cheers,
--
  Vall.

What is the GVWR for the trailer? I'm thinking close to 9500#. Your tongue weight will be between 10-15% of that. Neither truck will have enough payload leftover to carry it after you and the family/dog(s) and whatever else you load into the truck is factored in.

VallAndMo said:
Howdy,

Why not a Nissan Titan XD? It's supposed to be able to tow a lot more than either the F150 or the Tundra.

Cheers,
--
  Vall.

Or even another regular Titan? I'd stay away from Ford, but that's from personal bad experience.

I'm with kdbgoat, what is the GVWR of the rig?  Dry weights are totally useless for this or anything else except sales brochures.  Payload is always the limiting factor for 1/2 ton trucks.  Since it appears your existing TV was overloaded, you haven't had much experience with a properly spec'd setup.  Once you have all of the CORRECT rig GVWR, vehicle GVWR/GCVWR, plug them into the calculator here: rvtowcheck.com

partidak said:
The Tundra will obviously out last the Ford but I only keep my trucks until about 100k miles.

Not necessarily....the Ford will last longer than you want to drive it if you treat it right.  (And by that I mean run it hard but change the MX items on schedule).  Traded my last one in at 8 years and 210k (oil field) miles still running strong.  Our field guys all run F150s and we don't even consider changing them out until after 150k.  That's not to say the Toy isn't a great truck, but the Ford is too.

Either of those trucks will probably 'handle' more than the sticker claims but watch payload carefully:  max payload on the Toyota Crewmax is 1550 and 2150 for the Ford SCREW (if you can find one that's so equipped but that's another story)...

The 3.5 EB is, without a doubt, a glorious engine for towing.  The torque is nearly endless:  I've had my F150 EB SCREW FX4 for 3 years now and for pulling heavy crap around it's *real* hard to beat with another half ton.  For wheeling?  I'd rather have a beater Scout, personally.  Quite frankly, either truck will be a *huge* upgrade from the Titan (I'd never even consider another nissan product after our bad experience with them).

Drive safe.

We had a Tundra with a much smaller rig than you have. It was maxed out. It was fine for weekends, but when we retired and wanted to do a lot more traveling, we traded it for a Ram 2500. I really do agree with PP that both trucks will be underpowered for your rig. Look at the bigger trucks; mileage isn't much different, and you will be glad you did.

partidak said:

I agree with MMW on this. The department I work in here has at least 11 Fords with well over 200,000 miles on them. The one I drive is getting ready to hit 260,000 shortly. They are company owned, so they don't babied. They don't necessarily get abused as that would get your company vehicle taken away, but they are well used.

This information is great. I am glad to hear the stories of the F-150 lasting that long.

The problem with the new Titan XD is A) Price B) i would never buy first model year tow vehicle.
I also don't need a 3/4 ton for my rig. Fully loaded with cargo, people, fluid and my fat golden retriever I am still only at 9000LBS and even that is steep.

I am leaning to towards the Ford due to the power, looks and my natural love for fords. First truck was a 98 Ranger 4x4. I guess at this point it will come down to driving, spec comparison, and personal preference. Also who can make me the best deal.

Any more opinions/facts are still very welcome.

I was a Ford guy all my life owned more then 6 of them then I bought a Tundra, we bought the basic work truck in 2007 with the 4.7 Lexus motor.  In 160,000 kms I have replaced the brakes twice that is it. The tailgate was replaced years ago under warranty.  The thing is bullet proof not flashy but basic and tough, we use it as a farm truck so it has hauled hay wagons with 120 bales on it, ( bales weigh about 60-80 pounds each) were not going fast but the trany didn't get hot and the motor just purred away.  I have to take it in next week for timing belts normal service.  A very under rated truck.

partidak said:
I also don't need a 3/4 ton for my rig. Fully loaded with cargo, people, fluid and my fat golden retriever I am still only at 9000LBS and even that is steep.

Any more opinions/facts are still very welcome.

Why are you sure you do not need a ? ton?  Published towing capacities are total lies unless you get a very low option truck, carry NOTHING in your truck except a 150# driver, and no cargo.

Please do an HONEST calculation for your own safety.

Get the "max cargo this truck can carry" data from the SPECIFIC truck you are considering.  It changes, based on installed equipment.  This is a yellow sticker, usually on the driver door B pillar.  This is the true  max Payload.

Add together 1080# tongue weight (12% of 9000# trailer),  100# for the weight of the hitch, and the weight of all people, dogs and cargo carried in the truck.  If this is less than Payload, you are good.  You will be very close if not overloaded.

It seems you don't want to hear it but you need a 3/4 ton truck.  Since no Tundra comes in 3/4 ton, you need to go to a Ford.  Sorry.

Sadly, many people still think only Japanese vehicles are well made......

This guy may need to wait until they start building real trucks.

The half ton will tow fine (provided payload capacities and tow ratings are respected, of course).

20 years ago?  Sure...a half ton would have been way overloaded with that trailer but it ain't the mid 90s anymore.  These trucks have better suspensions, more power, better brakes, and often carry payloads in excess of the 3/4 tons from that era.

Just mind the sticker in the door jamb of the truck you actually buy.

MMW said:
The half ton will tow fine (provided payload capacities and tow ratings are respected, of course).

20 years ago?  Sure...a half ton would have been way overloaded with that trailer but it ain't the mid 90s anymore.  These trucks have better suspensions, more power, better brakes, and often carry payloads in excess of the 3/4 tons from that era.

Just mind the sticker in the door jamb of the truck you actually buy.

Exactly the point I wanted to make.  I fear you will be overweight.

I called my insurance company to confirm a few things. One of the things I confirmed is, they go based off the manufactured Tow Capacity that is on the spec sheet for the truck. My trailer has actually been weighed at just under 7200 lbs. The bottom line, the new half tons are capable of towing more than they say. I am still far under the weight of the F-150 at 11,300lbs and the Tundra at 10,000 LBS. As far as insurance is concerned, Im covered. As far as the ability to tow the load and stop the load, I will still be covered, even if im a few hundred pounds over the "Paper Capacity." So now that we are done talking about me needing a 3/4 ton truck, since a majority of people tow loads bigger than mine with 1/2 tons everyday, continue to share your experiences or experiences you have heard with the F-150 EcoBoost and Tundra 5.7.

Thanks

partidak- not to sound argumentative, but there is a big difference between what you can tow, and what you can carry. You definitely will have enough "tow" capacity with the trucks you are considering. What we are trying to across to you is you must also figure out what you can CARRY as far as payload. A 7200# trailer should have a tongue weight between 720# to 1080 pounds. You need to make sure after loading your truck for camping that there is enough payload to carry the tongue weight of the trailer. Weigh the truck, then subtract that number from the GVWR on the door pillar sticker. The number left over is what you have for carrying capacity. ANYTHING added to the truck after that, people, pets, cargo, camping stuff, AND the tongue weight of your trailer must then be subtracted from that number. I'm not saying you can't get a 1/2 ton pick-up with enough payload, but will will have to be picky about what you get. Nearly any newer 1/2 ton pick-up can tow a lot more than they can carry.

partidak- we are just trying to share with you our opinion based on our experience.  The question is not whether you could but whether you should.  I used to pull a 6500# dry weight with a 2014 1500 Chevy with Towing Package and other features.  It was rated at 10,000#.  While it was pulling it, it was difficult when there was a lot of crosswind and when I had to pull in the interstate and had a big semi passing by on one side and another on the other lane both at the same time.  Not fun, I moved to a bigger truck.  Just my 2 cents. Good luck with you final decision.

Dry weights are meaningless.  If advertised "dry" weight is 7200, it probably grosses north of 9000 lbs.  You're moving in 2500 territory with a trailer that heavy particularly if you plan on towing in the mountains.  I wouldn't be looking at either the F150 or the Tundra (though both are great trucks).  I'd be looking at a 2500 or F250, whatever brand suits your fancy.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Blondie1956!
Back
Top Bottom