EcoBoost vs. Tundra 5.7

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You can buy and pull anything you like.  People do it all the time, and many get away with it.

Just because the insurance agent, who obviously does not understand how to evaluate truck towing capacities, and says you are covered, does not mean the truck is capable of towing that load safely.  It does not mean if you have an accident and are found to have a grossly overloaded truck, you will not be sued for gross negligence.  When that happens, I predict your insurance agent will forget this conversation.

Do what you like.  Just keep your life insurance paid up.

Up until a week ago, I had a 2015 Ford F-150 with Ecoboost, so I'm speaking from experience. I rented a Grand Design Imagine 2600RB GVWR 7700. The Ford was totally maxed out. It was not a fun towing experience at all. We had an equalizer hitch, but it didn't help. Most of the time it felt like our front wheels barely had contact with the road. Luckily, we didn't have to drive far. It was windy on our way back, and the trailer started swaying pretty bad at only 50 mph. The brake controller kicked in to slow us down. We ended up limping back at 40-45 mph just because it was windy.

Astresing- Regarding your experience towing the Grand Design, I suspect you had something seriously wrong with your setup, most likely the equalizer incorrectly installed or adjusted. Yes, the trailer is long at 29', maybe that contributed. I tow a heavier, shorter trailer with a 2014 Eco and have the complete opposite experience, even with gusting side winds.
Good to hear you made it back safely.

The plunge said:
Astresing- Regarding your experience towing the Grand Design, I suspect you had something seriously wrong with your setup, most likely the equalizer incorrectly installed or adjusted. Yes, the trailer is long at 29', maybe that contributed. I tow a heavier, shorter trailer with a 2014 Eco and have the complete opposite experience, even with gusting side winds.
Good to hear you made it back safely.

I agree.  7700 gross shouldn't have strained the F150 THAT badly. 

Something wasn't set up correctly...though that is a LONG trailer for a "half ton" truck.  While weight is certainly important, it isn't the only factor to consider.  Trailer length has a huge effect of stability.  29' long is a giant billboard in the wind, and can walk a half ton pickup all over the highway in the wind.  I tow a 30', and this area is prone to being windy....and that was a big decision in me buying a 2500 pickup.  And since I tow exclusively in the mountains, a diesel was a no brainer. 

It's entirely possible something wasn't set up right. We're newbies and this was a rental, so who knows. It was a learning experience for sure. Since then, I've scoured these boards and talked to fellow RVers (turns out lots of people I know RV), so I could educate myself. We recently traded in our F150 Lariat Supercrew on a Dodge 3500 Laramie SRW CC LB Diesel. We lost money on the trade, since we hadn't had the F150 very long. The bottom line was the Ford salesman over sold the Ecoboost to us. Told us it towed 12,000 lbs. Bulloney! We were stupid and didn't do our own math. Thanks to some wonderfully helpful people, I've learned the formulas and now I can do my own math to make sure we're safe out there. I also like that RV Tow Check app. It's super helpful. We also got to know some people in an RV club, which I think we are going to join. They have been very good about answering our many questions. RVers are such nice people! In case you're wondering why we bought such a big truck, we decided to go fifth wheel. I'm leaning towards the Grand Design Reflection 337rls. She's a beauty! I hope to be glamping in her real soon :)

Astresing- Sorry to hear you took a loss on the trade up and your getting more info as you go forward. Now that you're in a larger class I hope you get more training before you start your adventures.

A conversation I'd like to hear is one of what the truck manufacturers claim they can tow. When someone posts a question about 1/2 ton towing, the majority of the time the answer is you need at least a 3/4 ton truck because Ford, Chevy, Ram, whoever lie and tell you it can tow 11,200 lbs. Granted, most questions posted about 1/2 towing are folks that want to tow something at 9,000 lbs and still haven't loaded up the truck. I agree, they shouldn't be near that.

I do like that in most all conversations now  the good folks here steer the OP to the door jamb yellow sticker, most important piece of info.

What I never see discussed is the same salesman handing out the same brand brochures with 3/4 or 1 ton truck claims is now seen as believable and you should have no problem. The risk is the "lie" has just been scaled up and with these massive 5th wheels and toy haulers people are strapping on to their 3/4 or 1 ton trucks is downright scary.
Engine, suspension, transmission and brake technology has allowed for our new towing possibilities, what can't be ignored is weight and inertia can be overcome by only so much from technology when it comes to stopping and handling.

The Plunge

The YELLOW STICKER is the gold standard for towing capacity, and the BEST starting point to calculate true capacity.

The manufacturer's published towing numbers may be technically correct, but they do not reflect real life.
The mfg specs assume a base model truck with few options, a 156# driver, no passengers, no cargo and a tongue wt of 10% or pin wt of 15%.  This is completely unrealistic.  Few RV'ers drive bare bones trucks, they usually have passengers and cargo, and TW are closer to 12% and pin wt closer to 22%.

Few people come here asking if their F150 can pull a 4500 GVWR camper.

IMHO, no ? ton truck can pull a 5er.  There may be rare combinations that work, but so few that I make my statement.  A ? ton truck can pull a moderate size TT, depending on the truck payload and what other things will be carried in the truck.

? ton pickups can generally handle a 5th wheel up to about 12,000 GVWR, again based on the other factors.  They can carry most TT on the market today.

1 Ton SRW pickups can generally handle a 5th wheel up to about 15,000 GVWR, again based on the other factors.

1 Ton dually pickups can generally handle most 5th wheels on the market today - BUT NOT ALL, again based on the other factors.

For a salesman, it is very easy to "oversell" a ? ton truck because of its' somewhat limited capacity.  Because of the greater capacities of the bigger trucks, it is more difficult - but not impossible - to oversell their capabilities.  The bottom line is to do your own math.  Make sure you are smarter than the salesman before going shopping.  Make sure YOU know what you need.

In spite of great advancements in technology, the laws of physics have not changed.  More torque and horsepower may get it moving faster, but inertia and braking systems must still get it stopped.

grashley said:
In spite of great advancements in technology, the laws of physics have not changed.  More torque and horsepower may get it moving faster, but inertia and braking systems must still get it stopped.

And the truck needs to be substantial enough to control the load in case something goes wrong.  Blown tire on the trailer, loss of trailer brakes coming down a steep grade, sudden heavy wind gust.  Nothing is worse than being along for the ride when a trailer becomes unruly for whatever reason.

the Truck brakes stop the trailer ?

so...how does that work on a semi truck/trailer 5th wheel combo...

a rather small truck,  towing a really heavy trailer.

And just so everyone knows, despite all your wonderful information, I went with the Tundra.

My Titan, at 11 years old, pulled my trailer up some very stiff grades at high altitude, without issue.
My Titan also stopped my trailer in the event of no trailer brakes fairly easily.

Another caveat is also have installed airbags and an equalizer hitch. I live west of the coachella valley and have towed through some killer winds. Although, yes, it's a bitch to go through wind, never have I felt that my life was in danger.

You guys make a great point to all of the advise against towing with a half ton. If it was truly as dangerous as you guys have made it sound, you would have many more law suits against the big 3 and toyota, as well as the RV companies advertising their trailers as 1/2 ton towable. I will be installing the Ride-Rite airbags on the new tundra for a level and smooth tow as well as getting my trailer brakes serviced to start the summer off.

Thanks for all the info.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fth
Back
Top Bottom