What is the most I can tow?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

trashman71

Hi all!
I am brand new. I haven't even bought my trailer yet. Going shopping for it next week. I would like to be prepared. I have a 2011 F-150 3.5 Ecoboost with 145" wheel base with the max tow package. The axle ratio is 3.31 as far as I can tell from the code on the door.

Does anyone have experience with this truck and what is the max i can safely tow? I would like a bigger travel trailer as I have 4 kids. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Hi and welcome, you have picked a really friendly forum to join  :D  You need to get information from the label (yellow usually) on the door panel of your truck as this will have payload etc.  There a few experts on here who will help with the towing stuff.  Safe travels. 8)

Welcome to the Forum!

THANK YOU FOR COMING HERE BEFORE A BAD PURCHASE!!!

First of all, ignore all advertising about capacity.  They lie.

On the driver door B pillar is a yellow label listing the maximum weight YOUR truck can carry, or Cargo Carrying Capacity (CCC).  This is the most weight your truck was designed to carry, based on its weight as it left the factory.  This CCC must cover everything in and on the truck.

Add the weight of all passengers and pets (remember, kids grow up fast!), and all cargo carried in the truck (car seats, snacks, games, tools, firewood) and the weight of a WD hitch (about 80#).  Subtract this from CCC.    This is what is left for TT tongue weight.

Assuming 12.5% tongue wt, multiply by 8 to get the maximum GVWR camper you can pull.  This is the safe number.
Assuming 10% tongue wt, multiply by 10 to get the maximum GVWR for the camper.  Your actual tongue weight MUST be at least 10% to pull safely and comfortably.  Any weight below this GVWR  as loaded is a very welcome safety factor.

The other factor is Gross Combined Weight Rating, (GCWR) or the weight of the loaded truck PLUS the loaded camper.  This is rarely the limiting factor.  Payload, or CCC is usually the first weight limit.  GCWR can be found in your owners manual.

PLEASE be safe with those 4 precious kids!

Your truck rated at 8500.  Buy thing you will find it better to keep it under 6,900 lbs trailer....... in the last few years  the manufacturers have been up in your trailer capacities with absolutely no changes to their vehicles

I agree with Robert, keep it to 7000 for a comfortable tow. That will be a trailer that the salesman will tell you has a dry weight of 5500 pounds or so. Every pound over that will make your towing experience miserable.

Also try to limit yourself to 26' in length. That will have an overall length of about 29'. That is the absolute limit for most state parks so you will have a harder time securing a spot if you tell them your trailer is over 26'.  That also is the length that you begin to need a heavier, more capable tow vehicle due to side winds and trailer sway from passing trucks.

Manufacturers rate their vehicles towing flatbed trailers and boat trailers since both only need a 7% tongue weight. That is the only way to reach the max weight trailer without going over on cargo capacity due to the relatively lower tongue weight. Travel trailers have a giant wall that is being hit by the wind as you drag it down the road and this pushes against the front of the trailer and effectively tries to lift it off the hitch. The extra tongue weight helps compensate for that.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tim Dunn
Back
Top Bottom