EPDM Coatings
Desert Valley RV Park
RV LED Bulbs offer Sponsored by Spotless Water Systems rvupgradestore.com Composet Products EVDO

Author Topic: New floor for the old Bounder  (Read 9736 times)

Mopar1973Man

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • Dodge Cummins Powered / Jayco Eagle Living
    • Mopar1973Man.Com
Re: New floor for the old Bounder
« Reply #30 on: April 14, 2012, 09:13:34 AM »
Nicely done... Congrads!  8)
Mopar1973Man (AKA: Michael Nelson) located out in the state of Idaho with...
2002 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins Turbo Diesel
2000 Jayco Eagle FBS 296
http://articles.mopar1973man.com/members-rides/17-mopar1973man/27-2000-jayco-eagle-296-fbs
2013 BigTex 70TV Utility Trailer

BigDfromTN

• ---
  • Memphis Area, Ten-O-Cee
« Reply #31 on: May 01, 2012, 06:43:44 AM »
Great job!!!

A few questions as I plan to do some of this in the next few days.  Lowes has a similar product now for .88 per sq ft. ;)

1. How did you get your cuts so precise to the walls etc.?
2. What is rmp?
3. Did you secure it to the floor at all?  (I know its a "Floating" floor)  I plan to but it up to the carpet in front of the slide and secure it along that line to avoid a transition that would require a splice.

anemic

• ---
« Reply #32 on: May 01, 2012, 07:21:14 AM »
2. rmp is Red Max Pro a floor wax carried by Lowes & others which has been used effectively for shining up RVs. Similar to Poliglo. RVers swear by it.
1996 28' Tiffin Allegro Bay, purchased May 2011

Just Lou

• ---
« Reply #33 on: May 01, 2012, 08:02:37 AM »
Quote from: BigDfromTN
A few questions as I plan to do some of this in the next few days.  Lowes has a similar product now for .88 per sq ft. ;)
1. How did you get your cuts so precise to the walls etc.?
2. What is rmp?
3. Did you secure it to the floor at all?  (I know its a "Floating" floor)  I plan to but it up to the carpet in front of the slide and secure it along that line to avoid a transition that would require a splice.
  • I started on the slide side.  I actually slid the first row of tiles under the carpeted slide after assembly, until it hit a solid edge.  The end (beginning tile) of the first row was butted to the back wall.  I let the length of the first row dictate exactly where I cut the front carpet that I left in place.  After that, it was just careful measuring and even more careful cutting.  The Allure flooring can be scored with a sharp utility knife, snapped to break on that line, and laid into place. 
  • MP is Red Maxx Pro.  RMP is a floor finish product originally sold by Lowe's.  It is designed to give that high gloss "wet look" that you see on office and hospital floors.  RMP is NOT a wax.  It is an acrylic floor finish.
  • The only place the flooring is attached to the sub-floor is where the screws in the front and rear carpet strips went threw through it.
Edited - for correct word usage (prompted by my mentor, Carson...)
« Last Edit: May 01, 2012, 11:18:16 AM by Just Lou »
'97 Bounder 34V (F53 w/tag), '99 Honda Accord EX

carson

• ---
  • memories of yore
« Reply #34 on: May 01, 2012, 10:51:31 AM »
threw it.

Phonics...I didn't know you were that young, Lou.   ;)

Carson, 
 West Central Florida
Ex RV'er. (1995 Winnebago Adventurer)
...Logic works like a charm...

Just Lou

• ---
« Reply #35 on: May 01, 2012, 11:24:51 AM »
  Phonics...I didn't know you were that young, Lou.   ;)

Carson, that happened because I'm getting old, NOT because I'm young.

I hear tell that BF means Best Friend in the cyber/texting world, but at my age, BF means Brain Fart.

BigDfromTN

• ---
« Reply #36 on: May 03, 2012, 07:27:58 AM »
Lou,

You inspired me to a degree.  I was thinking of doing this and went for it.  Not completly done but looking better already.

Don

Sorry Pics to big.   Will figure out how to post and get back....
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/405312_10151004655073696_558773695_13006797_1367496593_n.jpg
« Last Edit: May 03, 2012, 07:32:06 AM by BigDfromTN »

winnone

• ---
« Reply #37 on: May 03, 2012, 12:07:35 PM »
Looks good Don!  Goes very nicely with the cabinets.   :)
Margaret Smith
2005 Winnebago Adventurer 37B
1965 GTO, 1966 Mustang Coupe and 2011 Mustang GT
Home race track...Firebird Raceway, Boise, ID

Wendy

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #38 on: May 03, 2012, 03:19:21 PM »
Looks good. Is that also Allure?

Wendy, Mike, and Gordon
~We can't be lost because we don't care where we're going~
Here's where we are http://map.datastormusers.com/user2.cfm?user=2276
2004 Winnebago Sightseer
1973 Sunshine Yellow VW Bug

BigDfromTN

• ---
« Reply #39 on: May 03, 2012, 03:59:56 PM »
Looks good. Is that also Allure?

No,  it is an Armstong brand much like the Allure but "planks" are 6 inch by 36 inch.

Armstrong 6"W x 36"L Exquisite Urethane Oak Floating Vinyl Plank  From Lowes.

Goes down quick and relatively easy.  Score cut it with a utility knife, then bend to break and then cut backing.

If you need more info,  just let me know.

PancakeBill

• ---
  • Bill & Jolene/USA 97 Southwind 35P
    • WorKamping in Yellowstone
« Reply #40 on: May 06, 2012, 09:22:54 AM »
Lou, looks fantastic!  We had our carpet replaced when we were in Tucson last year, the pro's were afraid of the doghouse, so we left it.  Going back and forth on trying it myself, or dyeing it.  Colors are different but complementary, I saved enough big pieces of scrap to do it.  My concern is the backing is pretty stiff, so not sure how it would mold to the DH. 

We went back and forth on the flooring before deciding on carpet.  Great idea on stopping short of the drivers area.   We also have that steel area in ours, and real plywood on the floors.  Our Fleetwood heritage. 

Bill & Jolene W & Koda

Old Faithful, Yellowstone Association Bookstore
1997 Southwind 35P
Toads: 1997 Honda Accord & 1986 Westfalia
FMCA F-401354
1995 OMI Dobro F-60
WA1RI

supetroop

« Reply #41 on: May 07, 2012, 07:16:40 AM »
I have replaced the floor on my 2001 Palomino 21, heres the pix...

winnone

• ---
« Reply #42 on: May 07, 2012, 08:42:13 PM »
Supetroop...big job!  Very nice finished project!   :)
Margaret Smith
2005 Winnebago Adventurer 37B
1965 GTO, 1966 Mustang Coupe and 2011 Mustang GT
Home race track...Firebird Raceway, Boise, ID

Lady Fitzgerald

• ---
  • Jeannie
« Reply #43 on: May 08, 2012, 02:41:17 AM »
Supetroop...big job!  Very nice finished project!   :)

Even more important than the finished job, you had the good sense to make sure you had a good subfloor to work with; not an easy task. Well done!
Jeannie

Between RVs (to put it mildly) but planning on buying a TT to full time in.

supetroop

« Reply #44 on: May 08, 2012, 08:38:46 AM »
At $90 bucks an hour, I had no choice but to do it myself......

anemic

• ---
« Reply #45 on: May 17, 2012, 09:42:10 AM »
Not only is that is one of the best looking "After" situations, but the contrast to the "before" more specifically the "during" is astounding.
1996 28' Tiffin Allegro Bay, purchased May 2011

supetroop

« Reply #46 on: May 25, 2012, 06:50:08 AM »
aw shucks, thanks!

psandoz

• ---
« Reply #47 on: July 09, 2012, 01:51:44 PM »
Hey Lou, your floor replacement looks great. We just bought a 2000 model RV and are thinking about the same thing. I went to Home Depot this weekend and saw Allure and was excited until I did some "googling" about the product. A lot of bad experiences on the posts. So I'm leary - but it sounds like yours is working out well. Do you see any other comments before you started yours? Any tips to a fool proof installation? Sounds like most of the issues had to do with the glue tab between planks not staying glued. Any trouble with yours?

Thanks,

Phil

BigDfromTN

• ---
« Reply #48 on: July 09, 2012, 01:55:57 PM »
Some of the issues may have to do with not enough traffic on the product.  Had a floor person tell me many of these type floors use a pressure sensitive adhesive.  They need to be walked on to properly secure the pieces together.   I used a similar product in my TT and did have one spot in a doorway that kept wanting to come up.  I simply placed a heavy weight on the spot and left it for about a week.  Took it up a few days ago and it seems to be holding good.

Best of luck!
Don

Just Lou

• ---
« Reply #49 on: July 09, 2012, 03:10:07 PM »
Hey Lou, your floor replacement looks great. We just bought a 2000 model RV and are thinking about the same thing. I went to Home Depot this weekend and saw Allure and was excited until I did some "googling" about the product. A lot of bad experiences on the posts. So I'm leary - but it sounds like yours is working out well. Do you see any other comments before you started yours? Any tips to a fool proof installation? Sounds like most of the issues had to do with the glue tab between planks not staying glued. Any trouble with yours?Thanks,Phil

I found a few folks who said they had trouble or bad results, but not many, and some of those made it obvious they had set their expectations too high.  The product is vinyl, not stone or hard wood, so it's gonna look like vinyl. DUH!

I didn't find one person who was dissatisfied with Allure in their RV.

Mine still looks beautiful to me.  I have two very small tile corners that tend to turn up and appear to peal, but that is because I was using my scraps to finish the job, trying to avoid the need to open a whole new box.  I wasn't careful to keep dust and dirt off the glue strips for some of those pieces.  I'll glue them down when I'm done using the RV for the season.

If you are leery of the standard Allure, you might want to try the snap together (rather than glue) type.

I'm more than satisfied with mine

« Last Edit: July 09, 2012, 03:23:39 PM by Just Lou »

catblaster

• ---
  • some people would argue with a stump
« Reply #50 on: July 09, 2012, 03:57:48 PM »
I had a couple of places where the adhesive was contaminated with lint, dirt or whatever, pulled up edge and superglued. RV is sitting in Florida sun with no AC on and the floor is not separating except for the two spots where we reglued. It hasn't buckled, or gassed off like some claim.

Don't get me wrong I believe the people that say they have problems, that may have been a different batch of flooring. We have had no problems and have it in the stick house also. Installed it in bedroom, laundry room and kitchen.

My only wish is that it was made by Americans.....you mileage may differ. ;D
« Last Edit: July 09, 2012, 04:00:12 PM by catblaster »
Will and Jane
95 Winnebago Luxor