Stolen Motorhome

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tswms

I can't believe it could happen.  Last Wed I took our 1990 Newmar Kontry Star to our local shop for some minor work on the generator.  He called Friday to say it was done. DW was scheduled for Chemo so I said I would pick it up Monday. Monday I arrived to find the coach gone. He assumed I had decided to pick it up Friday after hours and would come in to pay later. (This is a small town and we do things like that)So now the process of filing police reports and insurance claims. We found broken glass where it was parked. and tracks where they apparently drove around a barricade.
I can't believe an old coach like ours.

I certainly can sympatize with you.  I had mine taken also.  I can recommend several things.  Post some pictures on this site if you have them, especially if anything stands out about your motorhome, like a graphic or decals or such.

Second is the fact that it is far easier to steal a motorhome than it is to either keep it or sell it.  Contact the DMV and they will flag your title in case someone tries to register it.  My vehicles were recovered legally and safely after three third parties purchasers tried to title them.  They were stripped of everything not screwed down and some things that were but I did recover them.

Good Luck and I am sorry for what I know you are going thru.

I hope it wasn't somebody that watched the first season of Breaking Bad, where they stole a Class A RV and used it to make Meth. If so, you don't want it back. Best wishes and good luck. Those jerks will steal anything these days.

Good Idea. Here are a couple pix.

Attachments

• P1010005 [800x600].JPG
    P1010005 [800x600].JPG
    210.2 KB · Views: 357
  • Motor Home [800x600].jpg
    Motor Home [800x600].jpg
    160.4 KB · Views: 310
It might be useful also to provide the license plate information and anything else that might distinguish it from other 1990 Kountry Stars.  Assume it was stolen in Arkansas and probably has Arkansas plates.

ArdraF

Yes some of us do have a LOJack....now.  For those looking out for it, I noticed that he has a decal map on the side with mostly the southeast and a few midwestern states filled in.

The ribbon is probably gone along with the sign on the front, but the modification to your front bumper might still be there.  I think it looks like a folding step.

I will keep on the lookout for it.  I am traveling from MN to AZ shortly and will pass just west of your signature address.

Good luck, also in case you had a working cell phone in the rig, Sprint can activate the family locator if the phone is still active.

edit: I also notice a "Good Sam" decal on the front overhead.  That might help to look for.

make sure you keep a eye on CL  you may have to doo the work to find it  months from now the motor or parts well show up

so CL for gen  AC  motor trans  any thing in your type of year    look at pics really good if no pics on CL ask for them in email 

CL in towns or states next to you

you may even have to get address and drive by  may find it    may not be the way you want to find it or in the shape  but its nice to know you can call the cops  if you do it right

This is a scam that a tow truck operator worked for quite some time in the Chicago area. He was contracted for towing by several insurance companies.

The automobile owner gets in an accident, and the vehicle is undriveable. The police have it towed to a nearby gas station or lot to get it off the road. The owner calls his insurance company to report it. They tell him they will arrange the tow to their claims office lot. They call the tow operator. He calls the gas station and tells them he will be there the next morning to pick it up.

He actually goes late at night and picks it up...if he is caught...he has a legitimate tow order and no one would say anything if he decided to pick it up earlier. The car is whisked away in the night to be stripped for parts. When the service station owner comes in the next morning and sees it gone, he assumes the guy came earlier.

At the agreed upon pick up time, the tow operator shows up. No car on the lot. He calls the insurance company, and they now have a stolen car instead of a damaged car.

That's one of the reasons I got full coverage on my old motorhome.  Hubby thinks I'm foolish said no one would bother it.  But this just goes to prove if its a nice looking one someone could steal it. 

I may look into the lojac thing too, is it expensive?

How new or how old an RV is will not deter some thieves. One of the more popular reasons for stealing an RV is to take it deep into a forest and turn it into a meth lab.

Never heard a word.  The insurance co paid off and police closed the case. My guess it is out in the woods some where. A deer camp or meth lab.
By the way, I was insured with Progressive and they treated me very well.

Glad to see that you were taken care of.
Honestly, I'm not sure I would want it back so your outcome may have been bast anyway....

My dad had a tractor stolen once.
It ate him up for a long time, searching for it and doing investigative work.
So I know how stressful and hurtful something like this can be.... and as much as we might want to see the low life scumbag tortured, it's probably best to let it go.

I think I might look into that lojack thing though.... due diligence and all...

You know... Selected Cellular Providers will sell you an OBDII adapter (This works best on Gassers, I do not think they have one for Diesels yet) you simply plug into your OBDII port.  These devices have three 2-way Radios in them

1: Bluetooth.  Can chat with a BT equipped Android running TORQUE or an IOS device or laptop with OBDII software  Instant Glass Dash, Very handy.. (NOTE: I have an OBDII adapter that only has this function.. And I use it.. It gives me several sensors displayed that Dodge forgot to put on the dash of my car.. When I get the Motor home fixed. It will also read the 8.1's computer.. Currently I have a check engine light on the car.. Non-critical, the phone told me what it was, (Opps I'm supposed to get it fixed today. Forgot. Oh well will set for next week)

Second Radio is Cellular.. Connects to the cellular Internet so you can get datafied.  See note below.

Third is Wi-Fi,, So your laptop/Droid/IOS device can connect to the internet via the cell link.

NOTE: The device also contains a GPS receiver (Receive only of course. the GPS transmitters are.... In Geo-sync orbit)

The cellular link can read the GPS and tell you where to find the thing... Odds of a thief knowing of the existance of this device on a motor home. Epically if there is a wrap around the OBD-II port as there is on mine approach zero.

Plug one in , Get datafied, Get improved engine monitoring and get "Where's My Ride" software to find it when it rolls away.

Just install a hidden kill switch. no fancy gizmos, no ongoing fees. very inexpensive, very effective. I have kill switches in all my vehicles.

Were the keys left in the motorhome by the mechanic?  Or did it seem that the vehicle was actually hotwired?  It is near-impossible for the average car thief to start/drive a vehicle away these days without a key, but your 1990 motorhome probably did not have the same electronic security ignition barriers that are common now.

In my local jurisdiction, there was a recent bulletin about stolen vehicles this year.  Out of several dozen stolen vehicle reports, all of them had the ignition keys in them (or the thief found the keys accessible somewhere) and many were also left unlocked in driveways.  :-\

tswms said:
Never heard a word.  The insurance co paid off and police closed the case. My guess it is out in the woods some where. A deer camp or meth lab.
By the way, I was insured with Progressive and they treated me very well.

Did you buy another RV?

I defy a thief to start and drive my Motor home even if the key IS in the ignition.

(Engine blown,, Drive shaft in a storage bay instead of hooked up.. No way can it be driven).

The mechanic had the keys in the office. There was an emergency key hidden in the mh, but I doubt a thief could have found it.  There was broken glass on the ground where it was parked. I assume the side vent window was broken and it was hotwired.

Back
Top Bottom