05 Vectra Inverter issue

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RanchoVectra

After faithfully checking my batteries every month for the last year we awoke this morning to a strong amonia smell.  When I opened the battery compartment a puff of something blew out, and it was clear the batts were frying.  I pulled them out and sure enough two of the three were nearly dry and the third very low.  I put 3 gallons of distilled in them, cleaned the contacts and re-installed, and though everything works it is also clear they are continuing to boil - you can hear it.  I assume the problem is the charging side of my Dimensions inverter - could there be something else I am over-looking?  I am not the most technical of guys and will probably hire someone to swap out the Dimension with a Xantrex (sorry JC, even when I follow your pictures I still get the heebie jeebies thinking about doing the job myself) but before I call our local mobile tech I want to make sure I have considered everything.

Any ideas are gratefully appreciated.

Phil Degnan
05 Vectra AD
So Cal

Hi Phil - welcome to The RV Forum!!

As I see it, two possibilities.  You could have a bad cell or cells in your battery bank causing the Dimensions to pump out way too much current to the bank and boiling the electrolyte.  Second possibility is the Dimensions is overcharging a good battery bank.  I think it is a toss-up as to which situation you have.  If your batteries are factory original, then I would be suspecting the batteries first.  If you can get five years out of batteries that are being heavily charged and discharged, then you've done pretty well.

Since you had the cells uncovered, I have read this is battery capacity (proportionate to the area uncovered) essentially lost forever.  If this was my coach, I would buy three new batteries and see if the Dimensions goes into float mode.  If it doesn't, then you most likely have a bad Dimensions and the last I heard the repair cost was about $400.

Bring your coach by the ranch when we're here and we can make the swap for your new Xantrex  ;D

John, thanks, I hoped you'd see this.  I really doubt it's the batteries, as I have had this problem off an on for a couple years now, but always put it down to my very poor battery maintenance habits (ie, none).  However since replacing these batteries last fall I have faithfully checked them every month (the last time 3 weeks ago), and up until now they have needed very little water.  I always clean the cables and posts as well.  The weather has gotten warmer this month, but not nearly as hot as usual this time of year (80's and 90's only so far) and what really makes me think it is the charger is that when I re-installed them several hours ago the front battery, at least, is apparently still boiling (although I get your observation that bad cells could be causing the Dimension to overcharge - is there anyway to tell that from the Dimension panel in the coach?). 

I guess the next step is to visit my American Battery store tomorrow (the guy is getting to be too good a friend) and see about swapping these out.

Thanks again - and since I am now retired, watch out, we may just take you up on that invitation to the Ranch!

Phil Degnan
05 Vectra

RanchoVectra said:
although I get your observation that bad cells could be causing the Dimension to overcharge - is there anyway to tell that from the Dimension panel in the coach?

No, no way to tell from the panel.  You could check the electrolyte in each cell with a hydrometer and if the battery is good, then each cell should read about the same specific gravity.  You could hook up one known good battery to the Dimensions and see if it floats the battery after it is fully charged.

The problem with batteries connected in parallel is a problem with one cell will affect the entire battery bank which could be your situation.  The Dimensions (or another brand) thinks the battery or battery bank is discharged and pumps lots of current into the battery until the voltage rises, then it starts to cut back the charge current until it goes into a float or maintenance mode.  If you have a battery problem, the voltage never rises and the charges continues until the electrolyte bubbles out.

In any case, I would still replace the batteries and I have never had much confidence in the Dimensions unit, so I would make it go away as well.

Thanks John.  Even with the battery disconnect off seven hours last night the batteries continued to boil all night so they are coming out asap.  That somewhat surprised me - I would have thought eventually it would subside as the heat dissipated, but apparently charging stll continues even when the disconnect switch is in off?  Also had one  ac outlet that worked in the coach as well, another mystery, at least to me, as everything else was deader than a doornail.  Thanks again for the info.

Phil

RanchoVectra said:
apparently charging stll continues even when the disconnect switch is in off?

The inverter is wired directly to the battery bank, so the disconnect switch would not totally isolate the batteries.  You should have turned off the Dimensions from the control panel.

Guess I need to review my Dimension manual.  Battery shop confirmed one of the units had a dead cell, so perhaps that was the cause of the issue.  Since all were under warranty they just swapped them out, a nice surprise, and after I installed them a bit ago all seems fine, no boiling. Still going to have the Dimension checked out, and our mobile tech says it shouldn't be a big problem to install the Xantrex if we want to.  We'll be using your handy guide if we do, thank you!

Phil

RanchoVectra said:
our mobile tech says it shouldn't be a big problem to install the Xantrex if we want to.  We'll be using your handy guide if we do, thank you!

Phil - the RS2000 I have installed unfortunately is not currently in production  :mad:  Thanks to a tip I received, you might want to check out this Magnum equivalent.  Magnum was started by former Xantrex employees.  I'm not sure why the Xantrex RS series was dropped - it is a wonderful product.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
merlee&drebug
Back
Top Bottom