1/2 ton towing fifth wheel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cdorsey50stang

Hello,
My family has been camping for the past 2 years and we have upgraded campers along the way. I have tried to search for my answer but I haven't had luck finding any real world experiences with my question.

The camper has a GVW of almost 14,000 lb. The pin weight is around 1800 lbs. We love our larger camper but here is the issue. I need to get down to one vehicle (for myself) I don't want to drive my 2500HD Chevy as my daily driver because of the 9 mpg I normally get. The camper is at a permanent site from April until about November. Then it is pulled to a local state park (15 miles away from the permanent spot) then back home for storage. So basically I tow it 3 times all year no further than 25 miles one way.

Thoughts are being that It's not traveled with I could get a 1/2 ton which is obviously underrated to to that much and take it nice and easy to move it 3 times a year. The 1/2 tons now have more torque and power than my 2001 2500HD. I know this is not safe to travel long distance and would not do that. I would add air bags, or timbrens to the truck as well as a brake controller.

I know there are all sorts of reasons why the 1/2 ton is underrated for that much weight. I'm just wondering if in the real world it would handle it for my 3 times a year, with the mods of course. Oh and I'm not talking about a 1995 K1500, I'm talking 2007 and Up, Chevy or Ford.

Thanks, I've been a long time reader of this forum and you guys have a wealth of knowledge. I can usually find an answer searching. 

What don't you buy a car and just have a trailer moving service move it for you...all rv resellers have a list of folks that can do this....

grassy said:
What don't you buy a car and just have a trailer moving service move it for you...all rv resellers have a list of folks that can do this....

totally! craigslist is full of them too

Have you looked into what the cost would be to keep the 2500 and buy a used smaller car for every day.  Insurance, license, etc may not not make this feasible, but might be cheaper than hiring someone else.  I wouldn't try a 1500.  It will do it, but if you were in an accident the end result would not be good for you.

I use the bed of a truck 90 % of the time,  quads, wood, motorcycles, light landscaping, construction work, snow plow, etc.. I'm not an empty box going down the road because I think I look cool in a truck. My daily driver right now is a Honda Accord just trying to get down to one vehicle but cannot go without a truck.

My last truck was an F350 7.3 liter and I loved it but I needed the diesel 3 times a year.

Your estimate of the 5W pin weight may be off - a 14,000 lb 5W will have a pin weight upwards of 2800 lbs. Even assuming the 5W is empty and maybe weighing an actual 11,000 lbs, it would come out around 2200 rather than 1800. That number is critical because few half ton trucks can carry even 1800 lbs and 2200 would likely break something quickly.  Look at the Payload Ratings of the trucks you want to consider, and see if there is maybe a Heavy Duty Payload option that could get it into the right range.

But the best solution is to have the trailer professionally moved 3 times a year. Much cheaper than a truck!

I'll 2nd (3rd? 4th?) the "don't do it with a 1/2 ton" comments. Short distance or not, all it would take is someone pulling out in front of you or you hesitating at that yellow light a bit and then not having enough brakes to do the job. And who knows how much stress the hitch/frame can take before they weaken or fail - 1 trip, 5 trips, 10 trips, who knows?

I hear ya about not having a truck - I've had one for so long I can't function without one. In your situation, I would definitely just hire the move or hopefully you have a buddy or two with a truck that can do the job.

"But the best solution is to have the trailer professionally moved 3 times a year."  is the best advice you could get. Remember the life you are playing with by going overweight is not just yours.

I'm thinking since the Accord and the 2500HD are paid for the wife is going to have to get used to a third vehicle in the driveway. Thanks guys I WILL NOT BE TOWING MY FIFTH WHEEL WITH A 1/2 TON.  ;)

Back
Top Bottom