12V air compressor

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

clockdrfla

Purchased a 12V air compressor at Lowes to maintain RV tire pressure.  Suppose to be good up to 120 lbs pressure.  Just barely makes 60 lbs.  Will be returning it.  Any suggestions on a decent 12v or AC pump?

Most 12V compressors simply lack the guts to do high pressure or the volume to do anything in a reasonable time frame. 

The best idea is to get a small 120V pancake compressor from your favorite hardware store.  Remember, one rated for 100 PSI will fill to 100 psi, then shut off, and come back on around 80 psi.  If you need 100 psi, get a compressor rated at 125 or 150 psi.

I got mine at a pawn shop for half of retail.  Lots of very good brands available.

I agree with grashley. Get a 120V compressor for anything over 60 psi, or large volume. The little 12v compressors are ok with doing car and truck tires up to 60 psi. I have one that I use to air the tires back up after I'm done off-roading my Power Wagon. To air 4, 37" MT tires from 18 psi to 45 psi takes about a half hour. And the compressor is so hot, that you cant touch it. Warn Winch used to make a 12V air compressor that was really good. But they don't make them any more. If you can find one, get it.

ditto, 12 volt compressors are a joke

if you need a compressor regularly, get a 120 volt and an inverter(big!)

If you want a good 12 compressor buy a Viair 400P RV compressor. It will actual filled those 120 lbs pressure tires. Pricey but very good.
v120olt compressor will be cheaper, but even there make sure its rated at 150 (cut out) with a cut in pressure of 120 or more. Many 120 volt compressors say 120 but have a cut in of only 90lbs.

ken

^^^what he said^^^ You don't always have 120Vac, but you probably have 12 V if you need air. The Viair is nearly the only compressor you see among off rosd enthusiasts (we air down when running off road).

Ernie

grashley said:
Most 12V compressors simply lack the guts to do high pressure or the volume to do anything in a reasonable time frame. 

I have had several 12 volt compressors over many years and vehicles.. My opiion is more or less described above.

FIrst: the one I have now claims to be good for 300 PSI.. well it won't.. I had a flat tire on my car, so I had to air up the space saver spare (60 PSI) and it got to about 55 then it blew the 20 amp fuse that feeds the 12 volt outlet.  Thankfully 55 was enough and when I got back to the RV the big Crafstman pancake job (120 volt by 150 PSI) had no problem at all topping it off.

Others I've used, just blowing up a car tire is a 30 minute job .. Oh they had the power, but blowing up an RV tire (22.5") We are talking like 2 or 3 days to add like 10 PSI even if they can make the pressure, and I've never had one make the advertised pressure.

Black & Dec ker Air Station (This is a 120 volt portable) it too did not hit the advertised presure, it's faster than a 12 volt but still too slow for RV tires

My Crafstman 150 PSI Pancake... Does the job and has done it for over 10 years... It may take two tanks of air. It also jacks up the motor home when needed. (again takes multiple tanks of air) Removes lug nuts (450 Foot pounds) cuts metal, Chisles and hammers things, and more,,  With the right tool on the end of the hose.  Solves many problems.  Oh... It dusts out computers too. (And Air Conditoners)

That little 12v compressor really will produce 120 psi, but it has almost no air volume and takes forever to fill a tire anywhere near that preessure. In fact, it will probably burn itself up trying to do so. It's cheap and easy to make high pressure, but the volume of air produced at that pressure will be tiny without employing a much more expensive design & components. The Viair model (or similar Viairs) will do the job, but they cost.

When buying a compressor for a big RV tire, pay attention to the air volume rating as well as pressure. That is stated in scfm - standard cubic feet per minute. If the compressor doesn't have an scfm rating, don't buy it. It is almost surely such a low number they don't want to show it.

We are having a discussion on the Power Wagon about air compressors now. This one is starting to catch everyone's attention.

https://www.extremeoutback.com/product/14/ExtremeAire+Magnum+12+Volt+Compressor++Part%23+007-222.html

I have a 12v air compressor  from  Harbor Freight that does a good  job inflating my RV tires  @ 90psi.      Just  make  sure  that  you  get  the  one  rated  for  150 psi.

P.S.  These  are  not  full  duty  units.  I  would  shut  unit  off  after 15 - 20 min. to  allow  for  a  cool  down period  of  the same time. You  can  pump  quite a bit of air  in  that amount  of  time.

I bought the ARB compressor to air up our 35" Jeep tires, and it does it very well. Like the Viairs, they're fairly expensive, but they're both pretty heavy duty and far more efficient than the type used to air up bike tires and the like.

Kev

Ken & Sheila said:
If you want a good 12 compressor buy a Viair 400P RV compressor. It will actual filled those 120 lbs pressure tires. Pricey but very good.
v120olt compressor will be cheaper, but even there make sure its rated at 150 (cut out) with a cut in pressure of 120 or more. Many 120 volt compressors say 120 but have a cut in of only 90lbs.

ken

X2.

I've got a 200 psi Viair mounted in my Bed Box, 2 gallon tank with a 50' hose reel. It's served me, and Many, Many others.. Very, Very well now for 10 years, in 2 trucks.

Touched Up and Aired Up many'a MH, TT and FW tire, on the Beach's. No issues. :) 8)

I have a 300 PSI 12 volt, at about 50 PSI it blows the lighter fuse on my car.

I also have a 150 PSI 120 volt job that has no problem with my RV tires.

Bought it at Sears back in 2006 at the suggestion of.... This forum (Thanks fellows)

I got the Viair Rv one and its great.  I hook the compressor up to a house battery via crocodile clips.

not sure what you're trying to accomplish but my buddy has one of these and its worked great for a couple of emergencies we've had in our camping club.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Ryobi-18-Volt-ONE-Dual-Function-Inflator-Deflator-Tool-Only-P731/203060297

Back
Top Bottom