16.5 tires

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dodge 440

I have 16.5 tires on my 77 dodge rv. They need to be replaced but the 16.5 is ancient.
Should I get 16.0 tires and rims and be done with the 16.5?

It's a good idea, but you can still get 16.5's (usually a special order) and save the price of the wheel change over. The biggest drawback to the 16.5's is finding one in an emergency if one fails on the road somewhere. It boils down to "How much money do you want to sink into a 1977 RV?".

Firestone make an 8x16.5 and you can even order it on Amazon. Ebay too, I think. Simple Tire, a major direct sales tire dealer, also has them available.

https://www.amazon.com/Firestone-Transforce-Radial-Tire-8-75R16-5/dp/B002C82FZ6
https://simpletire.com/specialty-tires-of-america-8.0016.5lt-la4a5-tires

If you want to convert to 16", this article will help:
www.barrystiretech.com/165tires.htm

Thank you Gary rv roamer,
Your right how much do l want to spend? For 1,200.00 the local tire shop will change them out so for the price point that's what l think l'm going to do.
Thanks again Gary you have been more than helpful as usual.
Dodge 440

Yes Gary $1,200 out the door dose that seem fair?
Sorry I will try to be more clear on my post.

Dodge,
You and I seem to be in the same boat right now. Very similar situations with age of vehicle and wheel/tire dilemma.
Can I piggy back on this thread with you? Some info might be able to help you as well.
I found a salvage yard that can ship me 5 16" chevy pattern dually wheel's for $35 a wheel and $65 shipping. I need to know, is there a certain width of wheel I need? I'm looking at putting 225/75/16's on from what I'm told. I'm just so new to dual wheel's that I don't know what to do. Does the wheel need to be 6"? 5"? Can any one advise? I have a '75 Chevy.

Also, Dodge, have you considered the used market? I was also quoted $1200. The used stuff that I have lined up is looking at keeping me below $500. Which is very appealing to me.

Yeah, $1200 is a typical tire shop price. Fair but not cheap.  You can save a bit if you buy from Simple Tire and have them shipped to the shop, then pay the shop to balance & install. Probably save $100-$150, depending on what the shop charges for mount & balance. Or the shop might cut you a slightly better deal if you inquire about having them install a tire you buy elsewhere.  It's worth a try.

https://simpletire.com/specialty-tires-of-america-8.0016.5lt-la4a5-tires
The tire price looks terrific, but by the time you add in FET & shipping, the difference is much smaller, and you still have to pay for mount & balance.

I priced buying big 22.5' Toyo tires for my coach this way and the savings amounted to only $12/tire by the time I got out the door. It wasn't worth the extra hassle for two tires, but might have been for 6.

BrrRv,
Yes you can piggy back if you like, my dodge has a 6 1/2 pattern so your Chevy could be deferent.
Used is going to save you some money only if there in good shape. I found some 16" rims and tires
A gentleman took off his rv because he got a new set of 6 on Craigslist so I'm going after work to look
At them I feel pretty lucky because they look good in the picture and he wants $200 for the set
Of six with 90% tread? We will see. Just trying to get away from thet old 16.5 set its not easy but
The 16" is out there. Like Gary rv roamer says"how much money do you want to spend on an old
Rv?" If you can find a deal go for it! Hope this helped you BrrRv.
Gary rv roamer is on the forum staff if you can message him do it very smart rv guy.
Dodge 440

Thank you Gary rv roamer,
The price looks at simple tire $131.99 I will check it out.
I found this guy on Craigslist selling a set of six 16" rims and tires
In good shape 90% tread like I said on thread above"we'll see" l'm
Going tonight after work the pics he has of them look good.
He bought new costom set for his rv so l fill good about it.
Gary if you have time look at my post about that passing
Gear issue and see what you think.
Dodge 440

Sorry I did not see your reply,yeah I'm narrowing it down tho.
I got the 16" rims and tire from the guy on Craigslist there in
Great shape his new costom rims and tires were not to shabby
Neither. Lug nuts, Crome hub caps 7 rims and tires so things
Are getting better thanks Gary.
Dodge440

Your speedo and odo will be affected a bit, so you probably want to run a  measured mile to make sure you know how much it has changed. However, a tire size calculator can get you pretty close without an actual calibration measurement.

Do any of you know what bolt pattern I would have on my 1975 Chevy Midas? I know its 8 bolt but I don't know how to do the measurement. I've tried finding the specs but I'm unsure.

Probably 8 on 6.5" 8 bolt is pretty standard until the metric wheels started and they're mostly 8 on 170mm.

I never thought about the speedo,odo I'm going to check that out.
Thanks again Gary
Dodge 440

BrrRV,
I think the older bolt pattern for Chevy, dodge,ford were the same 8-6 1/2 like kdbgoat had
Mentioned and the new models are 8-170mm. So just measure center to center striat across
Lug nut post and it should be 6 1/2" good luck.
Dodge 440

Dodge,
Are you saying I could use any dually wheel as long as the bolt pattern is the same? Because there is a 70's Dodge motorhome for sale two blocks away from me. The guy has been trying to sell it for months, not a good market for an old motor home where I live.

BrrRV,
They should if the bolt pattern is the same and wheel size did you measure your
Bolt pattern? Your should be the same on as the one on the dodge. If it the same
Mybe you could get a deal if he can't sale it.

Bolt pattern may be the same, but you should check the offset. Just about any tire shop that does truck tires could be a great place to get specifics for your vehicle.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cory5999
Back
Top Bottom