17V-262 recall 2014-2017 View-Navion-Via

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
winona said:
I feel your pain in dealing with Winnebago "Customer Relations" as the man I spoke with re: my taillight issue was anything but "customer relations."  ...
Be advised this is NOT a free-for-all bashing Winnebago thread, please stay on-topic.

`lilacrosie said:
...Winnebago rep responded to me when I questioned why he would be blindly repeating that Winnebago was doing all it could do..."I am Winnebago."  I said, no, you're an employee.  He responded: "I am Winnebago.  I represent them."  They better get a better representative....
Yes he does. These guys are salaried and not hourly occupational employees and very qualified technically - they are good troops and do a good job assisting owners. If your expectation was the rep was going to start whining and bashing his employer then he is in the wrong job.

If this theme keeps up, I'm going to lock the thread.  If you want the thread to remain unlocked, stick with the technical elements of the topic.

I took my rig in for service and they told me about the recall which I already knew about.  I declined the recall. When I picked up my coach no button to the radio.  They said under law they had to disconnect it.

I was able to get my module back but no cable.  I am taking it to Metra to get it installed correctly.  Be careful!

Some more interesting info...

When I talked to Winnebago Owner Relations, the rep referenced a Mercedes Sprinter TSB that addresses the issue. I found the actual TSB, namely LI54.18-N-064032, that he mentioned (copy enclosed). It appears from what I read that Winnebago is interpreting the TSB incorrectly to their benefit.
[list type=decimal]
[*]Winnebago is instructing their dealers to remove the Axxess ASWC-1 module and the Axxess harness, but they are leaving the Winnebago harness that is actually connected to the CANbus in place, contrary to Mercedes guidance.
[*]Mercedes states that there is an "approved" solution available (i.e., using the optional programmable special module (PSM)), but Winnebago has chosen to ignore this, too. The TSB states that "Several aftermarket radio manufactures are working with MBUSA and have PSM solution for this upfit." Details can be found here: https://www.upfitterportal.com/en-us/tech-info/psm-info.
[*]Why did it take Winnebago a year to move forward with the recall after the TSB was issued by Mercedes (TSB dated 10 May 2016)? I would have guessed that MBUSA would have contacted Winnebago at the time as Winnebago was specifically called out in the TSB.
[/list]
The rep continued to tell me that no functionality was lost as I could still control radio volume via the knob on the head unit, and I could answer/hang up the phone via the head unit touchscreen. I asked if this was the case, why did Winnebago (or their vendors) initially bother integrating with the steering wheel controls? "Radio silence" on the call...

Again, it appears that it is the shoddy CANbus connections (i.e., using Molex connectors for data connections) that are causing the issues, not the Axxess module itself!

Attachments

• MB Sprinter TSB LI54.18-N-064032.pdf
    312.1 KB · Views: 10
There is a group forming to specifically discuss issues like this and, hopefully, negotiate with Winnebago from a position of strength in numbers.
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/View-Navion_Recalls/info
Cheers,
Les 2016 View 24M Tacoma

Lesman said:
There is a group forming to specifically discuss issues like this and, hopefully, negotiate with Winnebago from a position of strength in numbers.
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/View-Navion_Recalls/info
Cheers,
Les 2016 View 24M Tacoma
Thanks for the heads up! I have requested acceptance into the group -- I am waiting for the moderator to add me.

If you are affected by this recall and are a resident of New York State, please contact me via PM. Thanks!

Does anyone have the part Numbers for the connectors Winnebago used on the AXXESS module, The male and female also the part number for the Pin Removal Tool.

Thanks Karl

Back
Top Bottom